cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

power steering systems remanufactured steering rack

So I bought a reman steering rack back in July (item number) for a honda odyssey.

The first one arrived with damage, the hard lines coming out of the top were smashed almost completely kinked over right next to the nut! Also there was black paint over it so I know it did not happen in shipping. I complained, first they suggested that i use the old lines from my old rusty steering rack then they decided to send me inner tie rod ends and boots for some reason. Then after messages back and fourth with them because they don't have a phone number to call they finally sent me another unit. All that took three weeks to happen. So i install the rack replace the pressure line, new fluid etc. Drove the car for two weeks and the inner tie rod end inside the boot unscrewed from the rack as i was driving, and its leaking fluid from both sides of the rack.  Now I message them about this because they offered a lifetime warranty if you send your old rack in which I did and they are already giving me the runaround trying to blame it on not replacing the lines and flushing the system. And now they haven't got back to me at all.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

This one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-1998-Honda-Odyssey-Power-Steering-Rack-and-Pinion-Complete-Assembly/27... You didn't read all the feedback about lack of communication and defective racks? When racks from established sellers like Rock Auto sell for twice as much, makes you think what these people are selling. I'd guess they just buy up used racks, clean and paint them, then sell as reman. Maybe try filing a claim with Paypal or your credit card.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

After reading their negative feedback, there is no way I would of bought anything from them. When a seller resorts to name calling instead of trying to assist a buyer with their problem with the item, time to back peddle and look for another seller.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

File an INAD. Dispute with your CC.

Old HotRod trick, spray can rebuild.

Regardless that they are lying about the rack being rebuilt, why would you buy from someone who is rude to customers? Buying strcitly on price, this is what happens. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Another issue with buying parts online with large core charges is, even if you return the part and manage to get the refund, they still have your core, which on racks could be $100 or more. So when you do buy another one from somebody else, you will be paying an extra $100 for not having a core.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

good is a "lifetime warranty" if the seller is 2000 miles away, and may just be some dude selling junk out of a storage unit?

Anything on which the warranty may be an issue and or which is expensive to ship, I would only buy locally, from a reputable business, whom I know will be there next year.

And @atikovi makes a great point about cores! If you are able to do a credit card charge-back, inform them of the core issue, and tell them that you will need to keep the defective item until and unless they return the one which you sent them.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Based on the complaints about the seller I'd say you're clean out of luck as far as getting a replacement or your money back.

For what it's worth,  many auto parts reman facilities hire people who really are not mechanically inclined at all. It's assembly line work and many of the employees really have no idea what they're even looking at.

As a long time mechanic I could write a small book relating reman horror stories. The worst was a reman Chevy 350 that burned a quart of oil every 5 miles. The cause? Someone forgot to install the oil control rings on all 8 pistons. Stupid employee or disgruntled one; I have no idea which.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I started a claim with PayPal, hopefully I get a refund. This guy has been changing business names and scamming people for years!!!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Good. That is what you should do. A lot of buyers just shrug their shoulders and move along, never trying to get their money back. 

I realize that not everyone can walk into a B&M and get their parts over the counter. Still, There are better places to deal with than ones like this. There is way too much "FREE" in that listing. Free means they are cutting a lot of corners.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply