cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this a scam or not??

Does anyone know if ebay does such a thing? I found this ad on FB and this is where the conversation went with the seller...

Hello again,
As I told you in my first email, got a new job and moved to Omaha, NE. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay Motors so my presence isn't necessary.
They won't give me any money until you receive and test the car. The car is at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The shipping cost is included in the total price of the car! You got 5 days to test it and inspect the car. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
-full name and address
-shipping address
-phone number
Once I got all the details, I will forward them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They'll email you with all the information that you need to complete this deal and also they will confirm that the deal is conducted through them and I'm a legitimate seller. Waiting for your email with the requested details.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

is this a scam or not??

Of course this is a SCAM!!!

Cease all communication with this criminal. 

Do not provide any personal information. 

Go back & read the ad again (several times if necessary) & ask yourself if it could possibly be legitimate. 

The ad was on FB...how could eBay be involved?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

is this a scam or not??

Not only is this a scam, it's an old one at that. If you don't find the Item on eBay, with an Item Number, It's a scam to take your money. Good Luck to you.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

is this a scam or not??

No, some stranger halfway across the country is REALLY going to sell you a mint low-mileage car for less than what they could get for it if they took it to the nearest used car lot!  And as if that isn't enough ["But wait! There's more!"], they're going to SHIP it to you for "free" ($1000+), AND let you, a total stranger have the car for 5 days, and pay AGAIN to ship it back after you've wrecked it/used it as a get-away vehicle/played Eval Knieval with it.... and, for the piece-of-resistance, you'll be asked to pay via iTunes gift cards or some other same-as-cash untraceable method......

Would you sell YOUR car that way? (Even if Ebay really did operate like that?)

LOL- oldest scam on the internet. But you knew that! Oh, and if you've opened any email attachments from the scammer, congratulations! You'll then have a keylooger installed on your computer, so they can steal all of your data and passwords.

Pffttt.... The scam that NEVER dies!

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

is this a scam or not??

Why is it always Omaha....

When my child was in the 4th grade they discovered the court records online.

That day there were a lot of kids who had questions when they got off the bus.

With your name and address, someone can call up and have your power shut off, just a call.

And now they know the name of your pet and your children.

Never... ever.... give out this info... touch the car, drive the car.

If you can't do this... there is no car

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

is this a scam or not??

Thank you  for the response.. Of course I figured out it was a scam .. but i wanted to see how far they would go with it.. I even called the fake ebay number and talked to a fake RUSSIAN ebay customer service rep... cracked me right up. He said the seller was completely pre approved  by ebay.. The sad part is when I did call ebay , they didnt seem to care too much about chasing these scams... I gues its just not worth their time ...

cheers

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

is this a scam or not??

Ya can't blame Ebay for not caring. There's really nothing they can do about others fraudulently using their name, any more so than could(or should) Walmart do anything about someone going around offering to sell you the local Walmart store for $100. It really has nothing to do with them. And considering that these scams are perpetrated by means which are untracable, and in other countries, there really is nothing they can do- any more so than if someone in Nigeria was going around using your name. What would you do? What could you do? How would you even know about it; an how would you even find the person doing it if told about it? (Remember, this is why they use untracable payment methods, like iTunes gift cards....).

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

is this a scam or not??

you can report all scams by sending them to "spoof@ebay.com"

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

is this a scam or not??

Where do sooooo many people get the idea, that ebay would physically step in, get their hands dirty, and help do conumate any transaction, of any kind??? Any WHY do so many people think ebay has huge warehouses, stocked with seller's items, it waiting?? I mean...SERIOUSLY???

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

is this a scam or not??

@u_cant_take_it_with_u wrote:

Where do sooooo many people get the idea, that ebay would physically step in, get their hands dirty, and help do conumate any transaction, of any kind??? Any WHY do so many people think ebay has huge warehouses, stocked with seller's items, it waiting?? I mean...SERIOUSLY???

Could you IMAGINE the cost, logistics, and liability if Ebay really DID do such things?! I guess the people who actually fall for such scams are living in fantasy world, or are just really really dumb.....

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

is this a scam or not??

Yes you know it to be a scam. I too received the same pretext of a sale. My "seller" is "on a military base in training to leave the country" therefore she cannot meet up to make the sale and e-bay is authorized to handle the sale on her behalf. The item of interest was found on Craigslist!!! So why sale it using E-bay??!!!
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

is this a scam or not??

I was browsing the CL ads the other day for a small pickup and I swear (before I did a vehicle specific search) that out of the first 40 or so adds I looked at that at least a dozen of them were scams.

The same wording in the ad and the asking price was the usual for these low miles clean cars; 2 grand.

One of them was a super clean 2007 Colorado for 2000 and it was allegedly located in my hood. The ad had just gone up. So I sent a "COOL! I live in your 'hood! (true enough...) I've got a wad of 100s in my pocket and I want the truck. Shoot me an address and I'll be right over to get the truck." 

Ten minutes later that ad was gone.

Same for the 3 separate ads for the 3 different Tacomas. Same wording, same 2000 dollar price. I fired off an email on those similar to the above mail and half an hour later all of the trucks were "sold" and the ads gone.

A blind man can see through these things and it just boggles my mind that so many people don't even hesitate to buy their own rope and hang themselves.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

is this a scam or not??

It's hilarious when there'll be several ads, all using the very same picture (with the same background and everything). The other day, I'm browsing CL, there were THREE ads all on the very same page, all using the same pic, but with different text.

Or how about when they're too lazy, or their English isn't good enough, so they just copy and paste some specs about the vehicle that they found somewhere? Like: They'll give you the bore and stroke of the engine, etc.!

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

is this a scam or not??

Very true. I checked the Tulsa CL the other day and there were 3 photo ads running one after the other.

A black 2007 Tacoma.

A black 2007 Tacoma with a chromed push bar.

A black 2007 Tacoma with a black painted push bar.

The ad was the same for all 3 word for word. Low miles, have to sell, and of course they were all listed for 2000 bucks.

No mention of Omaha though. Guess I should have emailed to hear that bit of fluff....

The ad following the trucks was for a 2007 Nissan Altima with low miles and you got it; for 2 grand.

Look at how many people see 2007/low miles/2 grand and any common sense (if they had any to begin with) instantly leaves town while they're orgasmic over the Steal of The Century they're about to get.....

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

is this a scam or not??

.....and then when they're waiting for their '07 Tacoma to "be delivered from the Ebay warehouse" 😉 they'll write up an ad to sell their current 1986 Hyundai Excel...and want more than $2K for it! (And it doesn't even include free shipping to the purchaser! ;o (

Message 15 of 15
latest reply