cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

company with bad policys

bought a starter for my ford fairlane new with a one year warranty also bought a extented warranty from assurance for a year i asked will this starter fit with headers they said most likely con vinent they lost the emai text on that conversation now ebay assurance and the seller will not take it back last starter i bought difert brand 278.00 didnt fit either ebay kept replying work it out with the seller 5 times their reply so ebay does not protect the little guy only big companys im publishing this in our local conn post and i have printed documents so they can take me to court amazon is looking better to me every day

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

company with bad policys

Where is your email regarding the exchange between you and the seller? You didn't keep your's?

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I can certainly understand your frusrtation. However, I don't see where the Seller or Ebay are at fault. I have had the "Ford with headers can't find a starter that fits" issue many times.  Goes with the territory. I have found that the super small, hi torque starters, you know the super expensive ones, they might fit. Maybe. On my last project, a 302 in a 1950 F-1 pick up, even that wouldnt fit. We had to cut up the headers and move tubes around to get it to fit. 

Even though the small starters are billed as fitting in the tightest conditions, when it didn't fit I didn't see it be anyones fault but a problem of my own making. Did your Fairlane come with headers from Ford? Are you just adding headers now? Was there a starter in there that fit and was working but died? If so, why not rebuild it or get one like it?

Returning purchases on Ebay has never been easier than it is right now. However, most Sellers are only gonna back up fitment on the stock, original model (without headers). If you had emails with the Seller through the Ebay system and it hasn't been too long, your messages are still there as they can't be deleted.

BTW - Amazon won't have any different miricle fitting starters I'm very certain of that. I'm no stranger to this issue. Been messing with Fords for about 45 years now -

As for returns...if time hasn't run out, click on help and contact, go to the resolution center and file a case. Return the starters, Get your money back.

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

The seller typically will not respond to questions about whether it will fit with some unknown aftermarket header system since who could tell?  I noticed in your thread that you indicated that the seller said that it "should" fit.  Well, people "should" eat better and exercise more, too.

This is your problem and yours alone.  If there were no return provisions, then enjoy your starter.

For the life of me I don't understand why you didn't get a starter locally which you could have returned.  Seems to me that the headers are the problem, not the starter.

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

Oh, and by the way, it's spelled "policies".

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, like I said, I can appreciate your frustration. But really....court action because you purchased two starters that didn't fit? That is your right and option I suppose. But if your starters are proven to be the correct part numbers things could turn around and bite you pretty quickly. Guess who's paying the court costs now?

Same for posting in your local paper. Certainly your right and I do support that as well. But dragging Ebay's name through the mud is nothing new and I really doubt that two starters make a blip on their radar at all. The Sellers on the other hand may have legal and civil options if again, the starters are proven to be the correct parts. 

All this talk of court cases and slammin" people in the papers is over you having starter/header fitment issues?   This is a problem that's been around for 40 years and is nothing new. There are options and ways out of every one of the issues just as everyone has done for the last 40 years....

Ford V8 in a Fairlane? Been done thousands of times and I don't even need to know which engine -

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tony1963 wrote:

Oh, and by the way, it's spelled "policies".

...and "miracle"  - laughing

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

As a parts counter guy said to me "I can sell you a part that won't fit, too."

A starter thru the mail? 

Taking it out of the box and trying to install it voids any return anyway. 

Like Machine says, put the starter in and work the header around it. A good tube bender guy can do that. It is just money at that point. 

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

My guess is that if the OP sues, the defendant will counter-sue and demand costs, defamation, etc for what is a frivolous lawsuit.

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

macineshopcustoms many times after installing headers, they will cook the starter because they are very close to the headers.

The OP would be better off rebuilding or getting another for like starter and install a heat shield and/or heat blocking  materials. He never said why he went with a different starter, but I'm taking a wild guess it's because of the heat.

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

Anonymous
Not applicable

OP stated the starters wouldn't fit. I assumed that it was a fitment issue. That's why I asked if the Fairlane came with headers or was he adding them now. 

If ya can't bolt stuff up, you'll never have to worry about overheating the starter. Which, is almost always an issue as well once your up and running. Plenty of starters get cooked for sure. I avoid all that as a priority. I have a very talented, SEMA certified chassis builder that handles all my welding and I'm not afraid to use him on such projects.  Stuff just doesn't bolt together sometimes. A "universal" set of headers means that they really don't fit anything and will require some effort/modification/other stuff moved around to actually work.

All of these issues have been around since day one. My point was making it all fit and work are all part of the game.  

But c'mon...threats of lawsuits and running off to the papers? That's never been an option for me.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

You seriously think the seller would waste one minute suing you over anything?

And Amazon will sell the same starters.

You also seem to have left negative or neutral feedback for half a dozen sellers.  You order the wrong part and leave a neutral because the part was already shipped and then call them not too bright???

This is one reason I gave up selling on eBay over 10 years ago.....

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mr.elmwood

" A starter through the mail...."

I'm really old school on this. I actually take the old starter, alternator, fuel pump, whatever with me when I go down to the parts houses to purchase. The counter guy will always pull 'em out of the box and compare them for you. Then you throw your old one in the box and your core charge thingy is handled at the same time.

And ya...I wonder how many younger folks don't know about the "No Returns/Refunds on electrical items". That always includes starters, alternators, and such.

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

lawsuit is an option these morons need a day and education in court and im going to do it being retired the think they will take advantage of me im proceeding 

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

company with bad policys

ive already spent 578.00 on 3 starters **bleep** these people

Message 15 of 42
latest reply