cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buying a car with gift cards

my adopted father recently purchesed a car from ebay using gift cards. he never recived the vehical and we are not sure how to get his money back?

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Sorry to say but you have been scammed big time, what was the auction number?, what kind of car?, year? make or model?, or did you buy it off Criags list or some other site. Where was the car supposed to be coming from, give us a little more inforamtion.....Da Nut

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

He did not purchase it from Ebay. Ebay doesn't work that way, and no real person sells a mint car for a fraction of it's value, with "free shipping" and requires payment via gift cards!

He sent his money to a scammer- likely in Nigeria or Romania. He will never see the money agin. (Anyone can post Ebay graphics into an email and make believe it's from Ebay!)

Why would he send money via a means that offers NO RECOURSE to a stranger he has never even spoken to on the phone (The no-speaka-de-Engliss voice would not match the all-American sounding name...) for a car that he's never laid eyes on nor inspected nor test-driven???? 

Oh, how do I know all these details? Because this is the oldest scam on the internet. So did he see the car on CL? Ignored all of the "Avoid scams - deal locally" warnings?

He really thought that he was going to get THAT car for THAT price? LOL.

No way to ever get the money back...but maybe you can trade in the adopted father for a smarter/less greedy one..... (Yes, these scams work by appealing to people's greed- they'll toss all common sense out the window if they think they are getting a "steal".)

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for people who fall for these things...they are so blatantly obvious.....

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

@legitimate_bidder

So the magic beans I found on CL is a scam, they said I could pay with Girl Scout cookies...

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@legitimate_bidder

So the magic beans I found on CL is a scam, they said I could pay with Girl Scout cookies...

Oh, no, that's REAL! I got some of them myself! The beans were magic; they made me play the trumpet, even though I do not have an instrument! And the Girlscout cookies gave the seller, "Flatulent_Joe" a clogged artery- so it was a win/win deal (I won, because I got some entertaining beans; and i won again, 'cause I didn't get the clogged artery!)

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

Your adoptive father did NOT buy a car from eBay Motors. He ASSUMED it was eBay related because of a bogus claim in the ad.

Your adoptive father is NEVER going to get his money back. Ever. Not in a million years. It's gone.

I'm guessing the info on this deal of the century involved a late model, low miles, super clean vehicle beng sold for the low price of about 2000 dollars. It is stashed in an eBay warehouse near Omaha, blah, blah. blah.

You know, if you and your adoptive father had spent 30 seconds reading the "Avoiding Scams" disclaimer and heeded the advice you would not be in the position you're currently in.

"I'll be back in a little while. I'm on my way to the hardware store to buy some rope and a footstool to hang myself with....".

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

You and he should have come here FIRST.... 

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

I have been ask to use the gift cars to by an suv order ID# 5678229407 just today. the customer # is 858-356-4815 **bleep**??!!
Message 8 of 47
latest reply

I have been ask to use the gift cars to by an suv order ID# 5678229407 just today. the customer # is 858-356-4815 I spoke to a guy...
Message 9 of 47
latest reply

The emails you received purporting to be from Ebay are fraudulent!

Only scammers:

Accept gift cards (Untracable)

Offer free shipping.

Offer to sell you a mint vehicle at a fraction of it's true value.

If you've given the scammer any personal info, prepare to have your identity stolen.

If you've opened any email attachments, do a good virus/malware scan on your computer, as you will likely have a keylogger embedded now.

And, if you've accessed any websites that required you to enter a password, by clicking on a link in an email, the scammer now has your password.

Seriously, would YOU sell your car that way? Even if it were an old POS?

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

Get a red one for me. I will pay you in Canadian Tire Money. Good stuff, eh!

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

All of you people should be more compassionate to this man and his father. He was scammed. He already has learned an expensive lesson. There is no reason to beat him up on here now too. It's sad how successful this scam is to separate people from their money.

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

Compassionate? The warning signs are all over the place, on eBay and Craigslist. I just don't understand how people can send any form of payment for something they have never seen, touched, or smelled and from someone they do not even know. Even eBay tells car buyers to do a pre-inspection.

Nope, I ran out of compassion years ago.

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

Learned an expensive lesson???? Maybe, maybe not.

Someone posted on this forum recently about being scammed in a similar situation. What did they do? Did they learn a lesson? Not in a nano-second. They were asking about jumping right back into the fire and doing it again on another vehicle. You can't fix stupid.

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

ZOMBIE, eh MrE.

Message 15 of 47
latest reply