cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Alternator

I bought an alternator for a 1996 Chevy truck.  The seller sent me a generator for a 1946 Buick.  After rebuilding all of the connection points, and making totally new brackets, I discovered that my alternator is computer controlled but the one for the 1946 Buick is not.

What can I do?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Wrong Alternator

So why didn't you just open a "not as described" return? Not understanding why you would even try and mount a 6 volt 1946 Buick generator that would require a 3 wire regulator in place of an 12 volt alternator?

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

This must surely be the "joke of the day teaser post".

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

I bought an alternator for a 1996 Chevy truck.  The seller sent me a generator for a 1946 Buick.  After rebuilding all of the connection points, and making totally new brackets, I discovered that my alternator is computer controlled but the one for the 1946 Buick is not.

What can I do?

Thanks for the laugh.

Modifying an item for sure violated any protection you had.  Oh and that be a 6 volt itme as well and you did not know this??

You may need to rethink the do it your self thing if so.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Now a picture of a 1946 Buick comes up on my dash display.  Something isn't right.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Hmmmmm where are my boots!

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I had mine on when I posted! LOL 🙂

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

After installing the alternator/generator, I am now getting a text message on my phone from Harley Earl.  Something isn't right.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@tony1963 wrote:

Now a picture of a 1946 Buick comes up on my dash display.  Something isn't right.

Maybe your check engine light will come on and disable the vehicle until it's fixed.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Short of an eBay adapter kit you could build a voltage doubler circuit. May go up in flames with the key in the running position but that's a future bridge to cross.

Me? I would keep the generator, sell the truck, and buy a 46 Buick.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I called my local Buick dealer and they do not have any 1949 models on their lot.  I was hoping for a few leftovers.

What else do you suggest?

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Better take a picture of that text, Tony. That would be worth some serious cash! 😂

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I wonder if I install a cold air intake if the problem will just "go away"?

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

i would get  rid of the 96 Buick & buy a 46 Buick that the alt will  Fit.

just my 3.5 cents

Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@tony1963 

"What can I do?"

1st, you should learn more about cars before starting to work on them yourself.

2nd, kick yourself in the rear for modifying the generator so that you can no longer return it.

3rd, Find a mechanic who knows what they are doing.  

That generator should work in `46 to `52 model year Buicks.  Hemmings and other Classic car outlets have several very nice `46 - `52 Buicks for sale.  I'm partial to the `49 Convertibles myself. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 15 of 20
latest reply