cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this wheel part?

I have 4 Buick Electra Lesabre hubcaps. Each one had this part attached to its center hub. (There are only 3 in the photo.) Can somebody tell me what its function is? Thanks!

Buick Connectors 002.JPGBuick Connectors 001.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

What is this wheel part?

They are anti-theft devices.  Like mentioned above, they typically had a special tool to loosen the nut like wheel lugs on newer vehicles.

They also doubled as a way to keep the hubcap from flying off if you hit a large bump since the wire wheel covers have more mass than the stamped ones and are more succeptable to inertia.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

What is this wheel part?

I don't recall the technical name of those but the wheels lug nuts hold those to the rims and the a bolt goes through the center of the hubcap to bolt them to those brackets.

The bolt is comparable to eBay item number:201706008847  Kinda like anti-theft bolts for the hubcaps.

At least those are like what my sister had on her Cutlass when she called me to change her tire when she had a flat.

Too bad she was missing the wrench that fit the bolts head. Turned a easy job into a PITA.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

What is this wheel part?

They are anti-theft devices.  Like mentioned above, they typically had a special tool to loosen the nut like wheel lugs on newer vehicles.

They also doubled as a way to keep the hubcap from flying off if you hit a large bump since the wire wheel covers have more mass than the stamped ones and are more succeptable to inertia.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

What is this wheel part?

THANKS! I APPRECIATE YOUR TAKING THE TIME TO WRITE. THE OTHER PERSON WHO RESPONDED AGREES WITH YOU AND SUMMED IT UP. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

What is this wheel part?

it is for a feather called THEFT PROOF HUBCAPS-pieces are held on by lug nuts-cap goes on-special headed bolt goes through cap into pieces-then small center piece pops on.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

What is this wheel part?

Thank you!
Message 6 of 6
latest reply