cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volkswagen Advertising

I'm amazed at how an organization will attempt to align itself with its customers.  The recent Volkswagen Jetta commercial shows an older styled Jetta and then by spinning the turntable that it is sitting on, it becomes a new model.

The message here is that if you are a 20-something and want to appear to be smart, hip and up to date, you'll be seen in a Volkswagen.  

Let's not talk about the plummeting resale values, the whole diesel scandal, the horrible repair history or anything that is factual.  Instead, let's just gloss over the past and play some modern music and spin the Jetta on the turntable.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Volkswagen Advertising

At least you got the gist of the ad, Tony.  slight_smile Today's marketing is totally bizarre. About half the time my husband and I see a commercial, we look at each other, and ask what was that all about??!! Sometimes their marketing is so off the charts, they lose what the purpose of the ad was in the first place.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Volkswagen Advertising

All car manufacturers are full of it; not just VW.

The Jetta is actually a pretty good car. I say this because I'm a long time, now retired, import brand car mechanic. VW is one of the franchises I worked for so I saw Jettas and other models all day long every day. They're no more prone to problems than anything else.

VW is not the only one to try the CYA method of whitewashing things. Subaru did it. Honda did it. Chrylser did it. Toyota did it, etc, etc, etc.

My son bought a new Jetta 3 years ago and it's never suffered one hiccup since the date of purchase.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Volkswagen Advertising

All that I can tell you to confirm my concerns is that Volkswagens are not worth **bleep** here in the southeast at the dealer auction and no one wants them unless they are low mileage.

Most end up on buy-here-pay-here lots.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Volkswagen Advertising

To each their own. I'm just saying that as a former VW tech i saw them every day and they were not more prone to problems than any other make.

If a VW was on one rack with a few issues then there was  a Honda or Subaru on the next rack with its own set of problem. The stigma......

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Volkswagen Advertising

I had owned Volkswagens from the age of 17 to age 49, really liked them and the last one I owned was a 1982 VW GTI. Used it for my commuter car, never had any problems with my VWs.

I thought about buying a new one last week, but we liked the Subaru Forester more and bought it. I have big issues with buying any domestic car these days, the resell value of them are terrible. The domestic pickups are retaining their resell value.

I have no issue buying VW, new or used.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Volkswagen Advertising

You should show up at the dealer's auction in Atlanta, Orlando or Birmingham.  Those sellers would be glad to see you since their models sell at or below Chrysler values.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Volkswagen Advertising

There are plenty of auto auctions in this area and prices do vary from place to place. When I was living and working in the southern states, new car prices were much lower than here. Used car prices were much higher than here.  No need to attend an auction down there.

There is a new auction facility being built not too far from me, there hasn't been one for a number of years. The nearest one is 120 miles away, but I'm still not interested in renewing my dealer license.  I'm still enjoying retirement after 5 years.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply