cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling cars from Dubai.. Confused

So hey guys. I plan on selling some cars I got in Dubai (city in the Middle East) through eBay, however there are some things I am unsure of...

1) How is the buyer/seller protected by eBay when it comes to dealing with cars?

2) Which payment option do I need to select, is it a personal cheque or bank transfer or what? 

3) Am I going to receive the funds in total prior to shipping out the car? What is the process like?

4) How does eBay know that I shipped the car, so that they can track it until the buyer receives it?

I really want to start selling cars but I got too many questions in my mind that are making me slightly worried, like how do I make sure everything goes smoothly and safely.. 

Hope I can get some answers, thank you! 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You want to sell doobies from cars...? Oh...no, wait...I'm the one who's confused! 😉

No, seriously:

1)There pretty much is no protection through Ebay. Since we're dealing with titled property, Ebay Motors is different than regular Ebay.  Act the same as you would if you had advertised your car for sale in a newspaper classified ad, or on any other website. Ebay is just a place to advertise it; the rest is up to you and the buyer. Ebay does offer a token "protection program" on cars that are less than 10 years old (for the buyer)- but it basically just ensures that they will get a title, and protects them against hidden damage which could not be seen while having the car inspected (And if they don't have the car inspected, it essentially covers nothing).

2)An initial deposit through PayPal is customary, but the only truly safe method of payment for the balance is bank wire transfer. Be careful! There are a lot of scammers out there, doing things like passing fraudulent cashier's checks, etc. which look even to the banks to be legit, and you don't find out till a month down the road that it is worthless. With bank wire transfer, once the money's in your account, it's there, and not going anywhere.

Do not accept PayPal for the whole amount, as not only will the fees kill you, but a scammer could fund the payment with a credit card and then do a chargeback; and your money will go bye-bye.

3)YYYyyyyyeeessss!!!!!! You get paid in full and make sure all of the funds have fully cleared before you release the car or the title!!! You don't ship the car; the buyer does. You merely make it available for pick-up, or drop it off somewhere, etc. Don't get involved in the shipping, because if there ends up being a problem between your place and the buyers (and there can be- i.e. delays; damage to the car; etc.) you don't want to be involved or have any liability. ".

Buyer selects his own shipper and makes the arrangements and pays them directly for their services, etc. [Note: There is a common scam where someone will say they are sending you a cashier's check for more than the value of the car, so that you can pay their shipper; you deposit their check and give some money to "their shipper", and then find out weeks later that the check was fraudulent, and meanwhile, you gave "their shipper" your real money...]

4)Ebay would only know or care if you didn't ship the car, when the buyer complains that they never received it. Unlike regular Ebay, there is no tracking or anything like that for cars.

Think of it just like you are advertising your car for sale in the classifieds, and realize that the deal is pretty much strictly between you and the buyer, with it being the responsibility of each party to protect themselves....because that's the way it is. You're just advertising your cars here. Deal like you would deal with any other stranger.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Wow thanks so much for the detailed response. Still a few questions though..

If every ebay car seller can get the funds prior to shipping out the car, doesn't that mean there's a high risk of people running away with the money? I don't see how eBay is fine with this but maybe we don't have the full picture in front of us

Secondly, I appreciate the point where you mentioned that a cashier's check can be fraudulent, and that not even the bank can see if its legit. Does that mean I should never accept that? Is the safest way of getting the money by a bank transfer? In that case it's okay for me to provide my personal bank details for them to send the money to?

Thanks for warning me of the scams that people are doing! REALLY appreciate the well-detailed information ❤️ ❤️
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I still think its crazy how buyers are fine with wiring the entire money to a stranger's account because I definitely wouldn't buy a car online haha.. I much rather see it in real life and make sure I'm not getting scammed. I bet a lot of people get scammed on Ebay from wiring money to people that vanish and never ship out their car
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Are you physically in Dubai, because all your listings say you are in Decatur which I assume is in the USA. And you better start a new account because you won't sell many cars with your current feedback rating.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

Are you physically in Dubai, because all your listings say you are in Decatur which I assume is in the USA. And you better start a new account because you won't sell many cars with your current feedback rating.

Dont waste any more time with this guy he's fake going from selling coffe makers and gift cards to selling cars he is buying from Dubai and did you see his feed back, I am still surprized he's still allowed to sell on ebay......nice try though

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I was dropshipping with a friend who is based in Georgia, and he would do all the shipping work for me. And yeah I have some negative feedback from silly things but I should be fine. Thanks for the comment 😛
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

What do you mean? How am I fake? I used to resell random things but that does not make me a bad person. eBay knows that very well, otherwise my account would have been shut down ages ago. I'm not here to mess around, and you have no right to judge me, especially when you're not helping me with the main subject of this thread.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Also does anyone know how I can find out the selling limit? 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

You should phone eBay and chat about a selling limit. At your FB level, etc, it would not cover a Yugo. 

Consider where you would sell these cars to, transportation etc. Dubai cars would not necessarily be European or US compliant. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@baderocks2 wrote:
I was dropshipping with a friend who is based in Georgia, and he would do all the shipping work for me. And yeah I have some negative feedback from silly things but I should be fine. Thanks for the comment 😛

The silly things you got neg feed back from buyers was not Silly to them they felt ripped off, of course there are 2 sides to evey story, so what kind of cars do you plan on selling from Dubai?? I have never heard of a car being drop shiped from the middle east, Maybe some one is trying to rip you of, and you would be the fall guy, we need more details to help ypu

Message 11 of 11
latest reply