cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Cars on eBay - 20 Years of Selling

I signed into eBay back on November 15, 1998 a little over 20 years ago.  Back then, eBay was only a few years old and the site was mainly a classified ad.

Being new to the site and being 35 years old, I noticed the occasional car for sale on the site as well.  I decided that I could do better and built a shop, car lot and went into the business.  I fell into the Volvo business, and added Mercedes, BMW, Saab and some others back in the day.  Looking back, I had the time of my life!

There were many happy buyers and I just kept the ball rolling.  As I participated in this forum, I made a few enemies and being so brash I can understand why I rubbed people.  I suppose that when you have success at that age, you feel pretty good about yourself and don't mind letting people know about it.  However, the business continued to grow.

As time went on, I noticed a trend with eBay buyers.  They wanted more and more for less and less.  They were also quick to threaten negative feedback if they didn't get their way.  I took a few knocks over the years and it probably bolstered my position as a seller since anyone selling 10+ year old cars is probably going to have some unhappy customers.  Yeah, I had a few and it didn't bother me as long as the remarks were truthful.  In a few cases where they weren't truthful, I did something about it.

Back in 2016 we started moving product off eBay and I paid my last eBay invoice in June 2017.  What I noticed was that the sell-through rate had deteriorated to the point that you had to list a car three or four times, maybe more, to make a sale.  At $90 per 21 day listing, the cost added up.  I had a few cars where eBay made more than I did.  So, I made the move completely away from eBay.

Since that day, I've had some offers from eBay and a few free listings.  None of them produced a sale.  As people search through cars, there is always something cheaper and in disrepair and I don't sell that kind of product.  So, with that, I bid farewell to eBay.

There was always the threat of negative feedback on eBay as well.  No matter how careful you were as a seller, how much detail that you put into a car, down to new wiper blades, there was always that customer who wanted more for nothing.  Leveraging feedback for cash back became a growing concern.  

Today I am still involved, but not very active in the business.  I have someone who runs things and does quite well.  We have been invited back several times but no thanks, it is simply too expensive.

So, things have come full circle.  Now we are back to selling through other means of relatively inexpensive advertising and have good results.  We have repeat customers and seem to draw people from out of state even though we are no longer selling on eBay.  So, until the eBay platform changes, we will not be listing cars here.

I have learned much in 20 years and the vehicles are becoming more reliable, more long-life and more complex.  As a result, the values of used cars are dropping because there are so many in the market.  It is a saturated market and any dealer who has his inventory financed is at risk of losing his business.

I've never owed anyone a dime in the car business.  There was no reason to make a bank rich by doing a floorplan when my own cash could make it work at virtually no cost.  It is not like cash earned much interest anyway, so any lost interest was more than made up by the costs that were avoided by floorplanning.

To all of you, thank you for your support and attention over the years.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I have always enjoyed your comments and info on this board.  Stick around for this if for nothing else.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I am starting to learn this the hard way. Almost 1200 in fees the last 2 months and only one motorcycle sold. I had 2 cars end tonight on auction and both buyers stated they would not be paying. My biggest problem I have had is I use ebays completed listings and sales of similar vehicles to help determine my buys. I think well if these are getting bids, or selling for X.... and this one is nicer and I can buy it for Y it should sell really quick. However lately I have had not much luck. I really wish ebay would allow sellers to leave negative feedbacks. We have zero recourse. I could litterally bid on 2 Lamborghinis tonight and just say na I changed my mind. And what can he do? Leave me an unpaid item strike, and Pay his relist fees again. But then again why would ebay ever want to help us sell a car, when we can keep paying relist fees.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Your listings are classified ads. There are many other venues for that format and at a lower cost. Car buyers come to Ebay for an auction experiance. They think they can outbid the competition so the result can be a higher sale price if they get caught up in the bidding excitement. List your cars starting at $100 with a reserve and a B.I.N. above that.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

eBay has stated to me "Feedback is not relevant". Basically, they stopped supporting the concept several years ago. As a senior executive said to me: "We are not going to do anything with it".
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:
eBay has stated to me "Feedback is not relevant". 

Well, Ebay isn't the one who is buying stuff, it's the customer. I've had more than one buyer say they bought from my listing because of the feedback. Car sales probably have the most suspicious customers of all the categories so even the slightest negative feedback will cause some to hit the back button.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

In my experience, anyone who ever asked me about my negative feedback was simply looking for some type of reaction.  My response was always the same - shop elsewhere.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

As a former power seller here and a retired salesperson, I agree wholeheartedly with Tony...My last sale on here was many years ago....that extremely nasty buyer and bold faced liar out of Pennsylvania, who tried every trick in the book to fleece me, but I won....Ebay just didnt care,IMO........I still buy some on here for the house and wife and a little for me , but will not ever sell a vehicle on here again....Happy New Year to all and to those who are no longer with us here to offer help/advise, like Ed and "Dog. the Bounty hunter"

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@bob-o-71 wrote:

Happy New Year to all and to those who are no longer with us here to offer help/advise, like Ed and "Dog. the Bounty hunter"

You mean Mopared? He died?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

@bob-o-71 wrote:

Happy New Year to all and to those who are no longer with us here to offer help/advise, like Ed and "Dog. the Bounty hunter"

You mean Mopared? He died?

Phil (Dog) passed away about 8 to 10 years ago from complication from RA. MoparEd is still with us, many of us still communicate with each other on Facebook, Twitter, and Over Yonder. There is another Ed and I converse with him daily too, Over Yonder and sometimes on Facebook.

Some of the others are Judi Pearl, The Weather Dude, Mr. Hanney, Brutee, Blue Nova, The Canook who also posts frequently on here. There many more, just don' remember their eBay name... but know them by their first name.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Know about Dog but from the tone of the post, it sounded like Mopared is gone too. Didn't realize there was an Ebay forum on FB. Will have to check it out.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

There is no eBay forum on Facebook that I am aware of, just a group of us old EMDB members that have continued to stay friends. 

The "Over Yonder" is a private forum, where many of us visit daily. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I was referring to Ed in Florida....

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

OK bob, that narrows it down.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@bob-o-71 wrote:

I was referring to Ed in Florida....

You're thinking of Doc (Ed) is still around and was doing fine the last time I spoke to him. He's easy to get ahold of.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply