cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller representing a FLOOD DAMAGED vehicle as "theft recovery."

A seller is misrepresenting a flood damaged 2008 Dutchmen 26L travel trailer as a "theft recovery."  This 2008 Dutchmen 26L, VIN 47CTDEN238G527668, was sold at Insurance Auto Auction (IAAI) Kansas City, KS on November 22, 2017, Lane A item 4013, stock #20858833, primary damage FLOOD, secondary damage left side.  The seller has listed the unit as a "theft recovery" with a non-refundable $500 "deposit" at end of sale.

In our particular business we say that this travel trailer has "been swimming."  I am familiar with this seller and his business practices, but this is so blatantly deceptive I am compelled to ask:  is there anything one can do to protect potential buyers from this sort of fraud?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

You going to chase down every scam, lie, misrepresentation? Good luck with your new career. 

Heck half the parts listings on Motors are flat out wrong as so many sellers have no knowlege of models runs of cars. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Point taken, thank you for your response.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

What Mr. E. Says.

Maybe potential buyers can do some research just like you did and get the scoop...if they care enough to. If not...oh well, they're gonna get taken by someone, 'cause there are more people out there who lie, leave out facts, cheat and steal, than there are honest folk...and they're all looking to take our money.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

If it was a flood vehicle and went through the insurance company then it should have a salvage flood title. I wonder how theyget around that?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

OP may mean that the seller is explaining away the salvage title as being a recovered theft. What's the differance in value between a clean 10 year old trailer and flooded one that I assume was cleaned up? Can't be too much if they did a good job. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

You never really know with these salvage auction vehicles anyway....

A few years ago, my friend bought a flood car from Copart....turns out, it wasn't really flooded- it had been an insurance job. The former owner- a cop- was in an area where there had been some flooding, but his car wasn't in the water....so he just made it look that way. Threw some mud on the carpet, and disconnected some wiring harnesses in discreet places so that it would look like the electrics were fried. My friend cleaned the car and reconnected the harnesses, and VOILA! He had a nice car that he got really cheap- but that car will forever carry a "flood" brand.

Coukld be same deal with this trailer.

I'm with you, Ati- Check it out and if it's good, it's good, if it';s bad it's bad, but ya can't judge just based on paperwork, 'specially in these days when everything's hampered by a zillion different laws.

I've seen some perfectly good vehicles branded or even sold as "parts only"- which means that we all pay higher insurance premiums.... and I've seen some mangled train-wrecks with "clean" titles.

This is also why it would be ridiculous if Ebay paid attention to everyone who reported someone for doing something shady, when they haven't even laid eyes on the vehicle in question.

There are plenty of vehicles with "paper defects" that are just fine...and there are also plenty that look fine on paper, but which are junk. Let the buyer beware and do due dilegence (Uhhhh...I said do due...heh...hehehe), 'cause THAT is the only way to protect oneself.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

This is true. I have bought several flood vehicles and have had good luck with them. You just have to know how to buy them and then know what to do with them when you get them home.

For me the rule was that the water could not have been higher than the bottom of the dashboard.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@marinermikes

we had a rental car on the interstate the driver slid into a water filled median.

Boss had me working on the thing for a month drying out all the electrical.

Finally tried to start it, and found that the engine was froze up.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@sockmonkeydavewrote:

@marinermikes

we had a rental car on the interstate the driver slid into a water filled median.

Big no no! Never try to start a flood car without first changing he oil and pulling all the plugs before rollling it over. That's the first, as soon as you get it, thing you do to a flood car. Then you do the transmission. Complete flush.That is if you get it running in the first place.

If you roll it over with water in the cylinders something is going to break. 

Then you do all the other items like the carpet. I go underneath the car and remove any floorboard drain plugs. When its done draining and the seats are out you then remove the eight hundred and ninety two pound carpet!

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@marinermikeswrote:

@sockmonkeydavewrote:

@marinermikes

Big no no! Never try to start a flood car without first changing he oil and pulling all the plugs before rollling it over. That's the first, as soon as you get it, thing you do to a flood car. Then you do the transmission. Complete flush.That is if you get it running in the first place.

If you roll it over with water in the cylinders something is going to break. 

Then you do all the other items like the carpet. I go underneath the car and remove any floorboard drain plugs. When its done draining and the seats are out you then remove the eight hundred and ninety two pound carpet!

Yep. The car might be perfectly good...but hydrolock it, and it's toast. Can't compress water.....

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@marinermikes

lol I ain't that dense, I drained the oil and pulled the plugs.

These guys were going 80 mph, with the motor nice and hot, then they went into cold water.

The engine was siezed up.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Thank you to all who replied, I really appreciate the feedback. I have been on eBay for exactly 20 years today (weird) and I have a basic understanding of the perils associated with eBay motors. I try to keep my mouth shut but my self-control failed. The fraud in this case was so...bad...that I could not help myself from commenting.

I hope that you do not mind if I address several comments:

If it was a flood vehicle and went through the insurance company then it should have a salvage flood title. I wonder how they get around that?

Every state has slightly different rules concerning title branding, especially trailers. A flood damaged travel trailer may not carry a title brand at all. Certain states, Kansas, for example (the state the seller lives in), do not even issue prior-salvage or rebuilt titles for trailers. An unscrupulous dealer can purchase a unit from Copart, Insurance Auto Auctions (IAAI), or Total Resource Auctions (TRA), re-title the unit, and receive a “clean,” unbranded title back from the Kansas DOR. This generally cannot be done with a motor vehicle (depends on state, looking at you, Kentucky). Title washing was getting so bad in Colorado that they changed the law about a year ago. I think Colorado is using a “total loss” brand now but I haven't bought in Colorado in a couple years.

OP may mean that the seller is explaining away the salvage title as being a recovered theft. What's the differance in value between a clean 10 year old trailer and flooded one that I assume was cleaned up? Can't be too much if they did a good job.

Yes, the seller is explaining away the salvage title as being a recovered theft. Personally, I love theft recoveries. Most of the time there isn't a lot wrong with a recovered travel trailer. Might have to replace a couple things (stereo, microwave) and the entry door frame may have minor damage (the entry doors on travel trailers are surprisingly difficult to pry open) but 9 times out of 10 a thief will pop the emergency escape hatch/window and climb in. Easy fix. The worst part of repairing/restoring/rebuilding a theft recovery is cleaning up the fingerprint dust, which is much more difficult than it sounds.

The difference in value between a clean 10 year old trailer and a flooded one that was cleaned up, is roughly 70-80% unless you lie about the damage. If you lie about the damage then the value is just NADA low or average retail. The value of a travel trailer that has been swimming usually lies in it's parts. Air conditioners (roughly $600 USD wholesale) are rarely affected by flood. Dual-mode refrigerators ($1400+ USD) have no moving parts and can be restored.

A few years ago, my friend bought a flood car from Copart....turns out, it wasn't really flooded- it had been an insurance job. The former owner- a cop- was in an area where there had been some flooding, but his car wasn't in the water....so he just made it look that way. Threw some mud on the carpet, and disconnected some wiring harnesses in discreet places so that it would look like the electrics were fried. My friend cleaned the car and reconnected the harnesses, and VOILA! He had a nice car that he got really cheap- but that car will forever carry a "flood" brand.

Coukld be same deal with this trailer.

Respectfully, it is not the same with this trailer. I know that this unit was flooded.  Travel trailers are, and I know this is over used, houses on wheels, aluminum-sided travel trailers especially. Aluminum-sided trailers are stick-framed and fiberglass insulated. The deck (floor) is typically oriented strand board (OSB) as is the roof decking. There are exceptions; Jayco uses plywood in some of their models. The cabinet framing and interior trim is medium density fiberboard (MDF) covered by a wood grained decal. The interior wall panels are a thin laminated wooden panel (4mm plywood) with a vinyl covering. All of these things react badly to water. They “blow up.” The cabinet framing and interior trim expand and shred the wood grain decal (attached photo from a recent rebuild to illustrate).  The cabinet doors, if they happen to be solid oak, ash, or maple rather than MDF, split and mildew. The wall panels develop waves. When OSB gets soaked it loses its structural integrity and gets soft. Mold and mildew abound. The fiberglass insulation in the walls and floor holds water like a sponge. When it eventually dries out (takes months) the material settles to the bottom of the wall cavity and compresses. The 1.5” wall “studs” are in constant contact with this moisture. The lower couple feet of the wall structure and the the floor plate rots.  The vinyl floor covering traps water beneath and you get black mold.

I apologize for being long-winded but there is a huge difference between a flooded travel trailer and a flooded motor vehicle. A flood damaged travel trailer is essentially the same as a flood damaged house. Misrepresenting a flood damaged unit as a theft recovery just hit me wrong. At this point the auction is over and it is a done deal. I know that there is nothing that can be done to save people from themselves but I felt I had to ask the question.

By the way, the photo I attached is of the MDF face frame from an upper cabinet.  A squirt gun left in the cabinet after a camping trip essentially destroyed the cabinet.  Imagine what a couple feet of water in the coach would do.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I have to agree with you there... If the trailer really was in a flood, then it'll have major problems- because as you mentioned, nothing destroys trailers and mobile homes and RVs faster than even a modest amount of water. Thing is, if it is flood damaged, that damage would be obvious to anyone inspecting it, or to someone who buys it sight unseen, the moment they get it (The warping of the OSB/particle board; rot; smell; mold; etc.)- and such obvious pre-existing damage could not be explained away by the seller saying "I didn't know" because such damage is obvious, and so is the paper trail...so then he would be guilty of having committed fraud.

I just wouldn't jump to conclusions unless I saw the trailer in person and or knew the whole story. From afar, one really can't say. You can not assume that just because it says something on the paperwork, that that is necessarily the case.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I do agree that it's not right to misrepresent any titled or any item that way. I would never do that. Unfortunatly there are many out there who would. That's why you never buy something like this sight unseen unles you get it for scrap price!  I can't believe how many people there are out there that would do just that. There has been a lot of complaints on here over the years about trailers for all sorts of reasons. Wouldn't want one that had been swimming. Too much wood in them that was never meant to be wet!

Message 15 of 17
latest reply