cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller doesn't have Paypal and hasn't picked up certified payment in 3 days...options?

I found a old motorcycle on Ebay that was very reasonablely priced...listed as local p/u so a shipper would be needed...I can handle that I figured. I bid and won as only bidder. Seller wouldn't take paypal and says his account was hacked...ok...I sent payment certified mail. Tracking on certified mail said it got there Satruday but wasn't delivered at 9:30pm...notice of failed delivery was left Monday - leaving the buyer the availability to pick it up at his local post office, 15min away, on Tuesday. It's now Thursday night and no pick up via tracking. How much time am I to allow the seller to actually pick up the payment? I've got U-ship quotes and shippers ready to go, but I can't do anything until the seller gets my payment check. He said it can ship upon receiving check....for the last three days he now keeps saying he'll try to pick it up at the PO. 

-What is an acceptable time frame after today?{he keeps saying he'll try to pick it up}

-What is my cut off before I try anything with ebay for resolution?

-What are My options there...how do you force a person to take their money so you can get what you bought?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Seller doesn't have Paypal and hasn't picked up certified payment in 3 days...options?

@ratherbesnowmobiling wrote:

Seller wouldn't take paypal and says his account was hacked...ok...I sent payment certified mail.

What do you mean "hacked." If the account is compromised you change your password. This sounds like a scam.  Tell me you didn't send payment in the form of gift cards or other untraceable funds.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

No, payment was via bank check in his name.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You've bought something without seeing it first from a total stranger who doesn't even take PayPal ("Hacked", yeah right... One phone call by him   would fix that. Banned is more like it...), and then you pay via a method which offers zero recourse.....

Hope you're feeling very lucky....

I don't think Ebay will be of any help, since you likely do not have any online reference that proves payment.

This probably is not going to go well. I'd put a stop and the check at this point and walk away, before you lose the money you paid for the item and the cost of shipping, only to have some piece of misrepresented junk show up at your door, for which you will have zero recourse. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Plenty of pics of the old motorcycle were offered, my 9th old cycle is in the garage...I knew what I was in for "there" and welcome it. I enjoy rehabbing old cars and cycles. Last two old cars came from out of state and were just fine. I've never bought anything from anyone I knew...most sales folks are strangers to me, in my face, on ebay or otherwise...

But, getting back on point, how bout those questions I asked?

Certified mail is in his name only...it's not like I sent a blank check...check is in his name only...I can see when it's cashed and by who- bank can see where it went{ask your bank if they can}. Considering my issue was of him not grabbing the check to cash...stopping the check now would surely result in me getting a "not paid" by ebay...I like my 100% record - it's well earned. June 6th the check in question will come back to me unopened- via me signing for it. That's how certified mail works. I can't help ebay still allows sellers to sell w/o a paypal account - I have one - unhacked too.

Now, I asked 3 questions...can you answer any of those for me?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Please...read my 1st posting...scroll on down thru some of the replies, then, answer my questions if you can.

I don't want any flame wars over unknown cycles or unknown people...your all strangers here to me - lol - but I'm reaching out for the PC time span to wait till either the check comes back to me or I try to involve ebay for the seller not taking advantage of the sitting payment 15min away from him. I don't know what the protocall is for a non money taking seller is....there's plenty of things about non paying buyers...but sellers refusing a valid payment?!

I won the auction...I got a check...I sent it certified mail.....and it sits at the post office {tracking proves it} untouched. It's like he doesn't want the money.

Anyone go thru this and/or have viable answers to my questions?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Sounds like he didn't want to sell it for the price you paid. That happens and there's not much you can do about it. In motors either party can walk.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

That's the only thing I can think of...except his three other auctions {2 old p/u trucks and modern motorcycle} had reserves...this auction didn't. It just doesn't make sense...add - just got a notice from him he'll send his wife to p/u the certified mail I sent him...it's not in her name!

Like you said...I think he'll simply not make an effort...dang shame, that's a nice old Suzuki GS that could be on the road again, and I have the parts/resources to do it.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply