cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHIPPING TIRES

I HAVE A LSITING OF A SET OF 4 TIRES, I PUT THE WEIGHT AND DIMENSION OF THE TIRE (ONE) AND THE SHIPPING CALCULATOR IS GIVING A SHIPPING COST, IS THIS FOR 1 TIRE? ORE THE SYSTEM KNOWS IS 4 TIRES AND WILL GIVE ME 4 LABELS WHEN PRINTING THE SHIPPING LABALES?

LISTING #112873246413

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

SHIPPING TIRES

Your listing is showing the charge for one tire.

However, you will be required to ship all four tires for that price.

You better edit your listing before someone buys it.

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

SHIPPING TIRES

Forgot to mention...  it doesn't make any sense for an individual to ship car tires.

Message 3 of 57
latest reply

SHIPPING TIRES

Perhaps try "local pickup"
Message 4 of 57
latest reply

SHIPPING TIRES

As sam9876 stated, the way your listing reads your are selling  one (1) set of four tires for the listed price and ship all 4 for the listed price  not  four times those prices.  eBay does not know what the total weight is nor will they calculate the total weight that is your job.

You need revise your listing pronto before some one buys them and you get a bad report card from eBay.

eBay  does not read, review every sellers listings - accuracy & intent is fully the sellers responsibility.

As another poster stated and I agree you need to consider local pick up only.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 5 of 57
latest reply

SHIPPING TIRES

+2 regarding what Sam posted on correcting that listing quickly and questioning the wisdom of an individual trying to sell tires on eBay.

The thing about an individual selling tires being questionable is not about the tires, it is about shipping.  Online tire retailers can compete because their volume earns them sweetheart shipping deals with UPS, FedEx, etc---discounts that the "average Joe eBay seller" could never hope to get.

Putting aside the shipping cost disadvantage, and more about the wisdom of selling tires in general---unless your tires are something very special to a very narrow audience who would be willing to "pay the freight" as the expression goes, I can't see how it would make econmic sense.  If your tires are for a high volume car or truck (Camry, F150, etc), then best to "List" them locally.  If you do list them on eBay, list them with the ONLY shipping method being Local Pickup Only to avoid potential issues with Item Not Received/Significantly Not As Described claims.

Message 6 of 57
latest reply

SHIPPING TIRES

@flyerfandan999wrote:

If you do list them on eBay, list them with the ONLY shipping method being Local Pickup Only to avoid potential issues with Item Not Received/Significantly Not As Described claims.

Local pickup also allows you to require cash payment. Which is a plus for the seller, cash being king and all.

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

SHIPPING TIRES

@thallidguywrote:

@flyerfandan999wrote:

If you do list them on eBay, list them with the ONLY shipping method being Local Pickup Only to avoid potential issues with Item Not Received/Significantly Not As Described claims.

Local pickup also allows you to require cash payment. Which is a plus for the seller, cash being king and all.

I was under the impression that EVERY eBay listing is required to offer an electronic (PayPal) means of payment.  I think Local Pickup allows you to state that you will take cash too, but does not allow you to exclude PayPal.  I could be wrong though....:-)

Message 8 of 57
latest reply

SHIPPING TIRES

One more thing,  if you want to ship these 4 tires I would think the best way  would be on a wooden pallet amd the tires securely strapped to the  pallet.  And then figure out the total weight (4 tires & pallet).  Don't think UPS, Fed, or USPS would  handle this size of load which means a motor  freight carrier (over the road trucking) would be reuired - eBay can't  and won't  calulate that  price it is up to you to do and price will depend on total weight, cubic size  and distance shipped and you would need to  load the tires into the trailer and a LTL (less than trailer load) load won't  be cheap and there are certain area where freight cost is  more expensive  from any where - like Southern Florida.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 9 of 57
latest reply

SHIPPING TIRES

Shipping them on a pallet would cost about $400.

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

SHIPPING TIRES

Uh, oh...  your listing has a bid.

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

SHIPPING TIRES

Don't let the other posters who probably never bought or sold used tires, worry you about shipping. It's the buyer that determines whether it's worth it for them to ship or not. Those tires are $650 a set new so the buyer would still be getting them for half that even if shipped.

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

SHIPPING TIRES

You completely missed what is happening here.......
Message 13 of 57
latest reply

SHIPPING TIRES

@atikoviwrote:

Don't let the other posters who probably never bought or sold used tires, worry you about shipping. It's the buyer that determines whether it's worth it for them to ship or not. Those tires are $650 a set new so the buyer would still be getting them for half that even if shipped.

You missed the OP first post oviously.

He is selling all 4 tires as a group....he only input the weight of one tire.

He is about to get a rude awakening when he realizes that he has a shipping price of like $100 for all 4 of those tires.

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

SHIPPING TIRES

That listing is live and has bids.

It is for 4 tires, but you have set it up to provide a shipping quote for only 1 tire. There is no way to fix that for multiple reasons: the first being that the listing has bids on it, and second there is no way to set up calculated shipping in an eBay listing for a multiple package shipment (which you can't do unless you were to ship all 4 tires in one bundle which can't be done except via freight)

This is going to be a train wreck. You were warned in the first 6 posts here to modify or take the listing down in the 6 hours before that first bid was placed.

Shipping shows as $68.45 for UPS to me here in Sacramento, CA for all 4 tires. If I were to bid and win, it would cost you 4 x $68.45 = $273.80 to ship them here (assuming that shipping amount doesn't include handling fees and is close to actual UPS label cost - not knowing actual weight and dimensions of the tires impossible to be precise) while I would pay only $68.45

Under those same assumptions, if an East coast buyer (New York) wins, shipping will be $123.62 x 4 = $494.48, but buyer will pay only $123.62 for shipping.

Walkthrough on a FedEx Estimate for 1 tire:
------------------------------------------------
Looks like a tire like that weighs approx 50lb and is 32x11 (or 32x32x11 as shipped).
Dimensional weight = 32x32x11/166 = 68lb so actual weight is disregarded (use of the 166 Dimensional weight divisor assumes the label is printed through eBay - other wise a 139 divisor is used and dim weight = 32x32x11/139 = 82lb)
Will incur a $12 Additional Handling surcharge for failing Addl Handling criterion #2 (and maybe 4,5,6, and/or 😎
Base rate for 68lb to Sacramento CA (95825) from AZ (85349) is $38.85
Add $3.60 for Residential Delivery surcharge and $2.12 for Fuel Surcharge + the $12 Addl Handling and it looks like $56.58
That is an undiscounted online rate. eBay discounts run around 25% in that range so %56.58 x.75 = $42.44

Let's see what the eBay calculator comes up with..... $41.63 (matches fairly closely to the manual estimate above). But that is for each tire.

Best shipping scenario would be for you to have your own FedEx account, have it linked to your eBay account (to get the eBay discounts applied to your FedEx account, and print labels from your account at FedEx.com. That is preferable to printing through eBay because you would be able to get a multi package discount for printing labels for 4 individual tires as a single shipment (don't know the amounts - it is an on-the-fly calculation as far as I know.) But that probably isn't going to happen.

Next best option would be to use FedEx through eBay instead of UPS, to have the amounts be around $42/tire (to here), or $66.49 per tire to an East Coast (New York) auction winner (that is zone 8 and worst case except for possible delivery area surcharges)

That is pretty much as good as it gets.

You could add FedEx as a shipping option at this point (I think, in spite of active bids), but it won't help that much even though it is a bit cheaper than UPS. If there weren't already any bids, you could change to flat rate shipping and split the difference between near and far (you lose some on East Coast winner but come out ahead on a winner close to you), but that doesn't work out well for the buyers or you when shipping amounts are this high.

Unless you want to lose up to about $200 on shipping, you might want to cancel the bids on the auction (for reason of error in the listing), end the auction, and regroup and figure out how to handle this shipping problem (problem being that there is no way to have calculated shipping for the 4 packages involved).

A problem with that is I believe you will have to pay a final value fee on the highest bid at the time of cancellation (current bid is $255, so 10% FVF would be $25.50). Used to be that you got 1 free pass per year on that, but don't know if that is still true.

If you don't cancel, and refuse to send the tires after the auction ends, I believe you will still pay the FVF, and get an Out-Of-Stock defect on your seller account for cancellation.

Hopefully others will correct anything I may have erred on here.
Message 15 of 57
latest reply