cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not as advertised

Anyone have problems with seller in Philadelphia keeping deposits even though the car he is selling is not even close to being as advertised? I spent $500 travelling to Philly to pick up the car and discovered all kinds of things that were not disclosed in the ad.  Just a couple, seatbelt broken, major paint repair with a paintbrush, trunk lid sprung, and AC not working. He told me he said it had AC but he didn't say it worked. WOW. He told me on the phone that he would square it with eBay so neither of us got hurt, and then stole my deposit of $500. I don't see how losing $900 and a day of my life travelling is not getting hurt. I agree the ad says non-refundable deposit but the fair thing would be to refund anyway since it was falsely advertised. This is the second time he has sold the same car with the buyer refusing to complete the transaction after seeing the car. Something is fishy here. By the way, eBay was absolutely no help. They found in his favor without even speaking to me. BEWARE OF SELLER!!!!!!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Not as advertised

Unfortunately, a deposit is a just a fee applied toward the payment, which is for the service of keeping the vehicle off of the market until you have the opportunity to pay for it. If the guy didn't sell it to someone else, he fulfilled his obligation, as far as the deposit goes.

Of course, it totally sucks that people do business like that, but that is the chance that you take when buying blindly over the internet from a stranger. You really have to inspect or have the car inspected on your behalf before bidding, otherwise it's just a carpshoot.

Look at it this way: If you found all of those things wrong just upon seeing the car for the first time, imagine if you had driven it home, or lived with it for a few weeks, what you might discover! o:

DON'T buy blindly over the internet. Deal locally next time, or inspect first.

There's really no way a third-party like Ebay can mediate such a situation, because things are so subjective, condition-wise with used cars, and plus there is no way to know which side is telling the truth, so you have to realize that in any situation like this, you are on your own, and BUYER BEWARE.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Not as advertised

@apdjuno wrote:

I don't see how losing $900 and a day of my life travelling is not getting hurt. 

I couldn’t find any seller here with the username. It doesn’t show that you ever left negative feedback. $500 traveling + $500 deposit is $1,000. Something about this story doesn’t add up and I don’t just mean your math.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Not as advertised

Who travels to Philadelphia to buy a car?  Don't you know that statistically it is a rusted busted hoopie?

I'd also be careful about coming here and defaming a dealer.  There are likely more facts that are not being disclosed.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Not as advertised

Just a guestimate on the total. The point is that the car was sold twice and not accepted twice, which means the seller, through his false advertising, made a thousand dollars in deposits without ever selling the car. I believe in honesty, and when I sell something it's always as advertised or better.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Not as advertised

By the way, I did leave negative feedback, and he was able to have it removed. That's the way he is able to maintain a 100% positive feedback. When a seller won't meet the buyer at his place of business to discuss the problems, but says over the phone that he will make it right with eBay, giving the buyer confidence in the fact that the dissatisfation will trigger a refund, and allows the buyer to return 220 miles home without the product, then that is total deceit, pure and simple.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Not as advertised

No undisclosed facts on my end. People travel all the time to get cars. I myself have done it 4 times and have been completely satified 3 times. If the dealer is dishonest, and taking peoples' money without delivering the product as advertised, then they deserve to be exposed so that others don't suffer the same fate. As a good, honest, and fair businessman, all he had to do was return the deposit and that would have been the end of it. Hopefully, since you are so sarcastically critical, you don't suffer the same fate.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Not as advertised

Same thing happened to me, they falsely advertised the vehicle.  I kept asking for information about their dealership prior to sending the deposit and they refused unless I sent them the $500 deposit.  I received the vehicle and although it was advertised as just serviced with cold AC, the AC didn't work, the front struts were leaking, the check engine light came on later, the front speakers were blown, and the intake hoses were all dry rotted.  I left negative feedback and within hours they were able to have it removed!  I contacted ebay and they said once it's removed, it can't be replaced.  I spoke with multiple departments and nobody wants to help rectify the situation.  Thanks ebay!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Not as advertised

You can't post personal info like that on the forums. Did you also include it in your feedback? If so it was removed because of that.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Not as advertised

I happen to live within (according to Google Maps) 0.6 miles and 3 minutes of this establishment.  Pass by at least 4 times a week.

Hmmm.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Not as advertised

No, my exact feedback was, "Bring a mechanic with to look over the car well. Don't make my mistake".   Within 18 hours it was removed by eBay so I called and the eBay rep said they were forwarded an email where the seller offered me $100 to cover replacing my struts, end links, bushings and having an alignment done if I agreed not to leave negative feedback.  I never agreed nor were paid by these guys.  The eBay rep also said it's against their policy to re-post negative feedback once it's removed. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Not as advertised

Hey man, this dealer deceived me as well and eBay refuses to do anything about it because the vehicle I bought is over 10 years old at 11 years.  eBay also removed my negative feedback that simply stated "bring a mechanic".  I see there's been other people who were sheisted by this same individual that reported having their negative feedback removed as well, maybe for other reasons.  

Good advice though, don't go to Philly to buy a used car, and definitely not Jersey or Delaware either.  At least PA has strict inspection standards, but with all the salt and traffic, the vehicles probably a beat up jalopy. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Not as advertised

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply