cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery engine?

Can anyone give me information on what kind of engine this may be?  I'm not knowledgeable in this area?  Possibly a straight 6?  The only identifying marks are: star A2215839 star........... any help would be great thanks!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Mystery engine?

It's a 200 cid, 40 hp, Ford flathead that is out of a 1928 to 1931 Ford Model A.''

Here's a link to help you identify the year and manufacture date. The author of the link document is very well known amongst the Model A people, lives about 42 miles from me. Just seen him last month and he has a very large database on this stuff.

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studies/LETTERS%20AND%20NUMBERS%20AND%20CODES.pdf

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Mystery engine?

Hard to tell from the pictures. Very old, what ever it is. Valves are in the block? Is that what I see?

Can you take other pictures, less of the closeup and more of the whole thing? Someone here knows, but it isn't me.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Mystery engine?

Four banger flat head, possibly a Dodge Bros. I had a 1921 that look similar.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Mystery engine?

It's a 200 cid, 40 hp, Ford flathead that is out of a 1928 to 1931 Ford Model A.''

Here's a link to help you identify the year and manufacture date. The author of the link document is very well known amongst the Model A people, lives about 42 miles from me. Just seen him last month and he has a very large database on this stuff.

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studies/LETTERS%20AND%20NUMBERS%20AND%20CODES.pdf

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Mystery engine?

Thank you for the info!
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Mystery engine?

28-31 Ford Model A or B has been the general consensus. I did a little deeper looking and found the Ford logo hidden under rust.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Mystery engine?

I do not believe it's the highly desired 1932 to 1934 Ford Model B engine, but take off the valve cover and oil pan to look to see if it has the dipper oiling system. If it has the dippers, it's a Model A engine.

Model A was 40 horse and Model B was 50 horses. If it is the Model B engine, you've got a highly desired engine that many of the Model A people want. It needs to be checked for cracks.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply