cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military Logistics Scams via eBay Protection

Beware of these scams... almost sucked into it... good thing I did some research...

I was looking for a vehicle on CL and found a perfect condition 2004 Nissan Frontier for $1500 CA plates. First of all it was too good to be true but went ahead and contacted via text to a local CA number (415) 688-, seller responded back the next day with a MN area code (218) 296- regarding the vehicle... First thing I noticed were the phone numbers ( but anyone could have 2 different numbers), second was the listing on CL is gone (forgot to save it)....Same story as the others: Husband died 5 months ago, wants to get rid of it because of the memories, seller is out in Minesota training for National Guard for deployment...vehicle in military logistic container with paperwork already signed in the vehicle, delivery in 2-3 days...She mentioned she goes through ebay protection payment transaction so its insured, 7 day period before she gets paid... Went ahead started the transaction, received an email from ebay@transaction-customer-support.com, with instructions in PDF.

The PDF looks suspicious, ebay logos on the body of the PDF has a capital "B" and the phone numbers were not listed on any ebay support contacts when i looked it up....So I asked for a VIN#, at first she said she didn't think about having the VIN# that all the paperwork is in the vehicle locked up in the container ready to ship, then a few minutes later she said she found it in her paperwork, which matches the vehicle.

According to instructions I have to buy ebay gift/debit cards and call in to confirm. Good thing my wife is a banker and advised me not to, since most GC/DC are non-refundable. we tried calling the support number provided and immediately gave us an ebay protection option (suspicious).

At this point, I could tell something is not right and walked away from the deal.... that was close!

These types of people is ruining the trust of alot of honest buyers and sellers on here! 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Really!

Anyone who even clicks on such an ad, -thinking that they could really get a mint, desireable, low-mileage, good-looking vehicle for such a low price, should have their head examined.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

Really!

Anyone who even clicks on such an ad, -thinking that they could really get a mint, desireable, low-mileage, good-looking vehicle for such a low price, should have their head examined.

Very well stated LB.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

@djkram650 wrote:

Good thing my wife is a banker and advised me not to

You need someone to tell you that?

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

"Perfect condition 2004 Nissan Frontier for 1500 dollars...." should have been enough of a warning to stop then and then.

It certainly doesn't take a banker to see what is a blazing pyre of a scam.

All the paperwork is locked up in the container.....right.

In other news, someone somewhere is celebrating and high-fiving their friends while telling them about the steal of the century 2004 Nissan Frontier they just snagged for 1500 bucks in gift cards......

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

If a car is in storage for a servicemember on deployment, the only way to get it out is with the signature of whoever signed it over on the hand receipt, or that person's commander.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The number one clue, which you ignored, is the fact that the ad on craigslist said the transaction would be completed via eBay protection.  There is NEVER EVER any connection between craigslist and eBay.  BOTH sites have WARNINGS telling people that. As soon as they mention eBay, that is when you end all conversation with the scammer.  

Craigslist has, on every listing, a link titled "avoiding scams."  It specifically warns against using a third party to complete transaction and has a couple of actual emails where the scammer says the transaction will be completed on eBay.  

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Thia ia my first time using ebay to sell my product and ive gotten messages from military scammers so this helps me alot thank you

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Well i know nothing when it comes to these things so not everyone have the knowledge to it 

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@naomiwashere

...LB (illegitimate_bidder) meant no harm...he probably hadn't taken his meds yet is all.

Presently LB is vacationing down on the nude beach in Rio but we do expect him back soon...

Getting to the issue....

Ya...good you walked away...that's the classic scam right there.

You need to educate yourself on these things, and it looks like you are. We are here to help, but you must educate yourself to protect yourself and your savings.

There are a lot of scams and scammers out there. They always tell you what you want to hear...

First off, you are shopping on CL. Assume EVERY ad is a scam until you SEE THE VEHICLE IN PERSON.

Consider EVERY ad where a person in the military is shipping out right away and must sell a great car/truck/jeep/harley/whatever very cheap...to be a SCAM.

....The vehicle is always in a container ready to ship as well...

Do not send any gift cards or get involved in any transaction where gift cards are involved.

If the ad is on CL and it mentions Ebay,  chances are it's a scam.

Do not send any deposit or buy any vehicle on the internet without inspecting it yourself, or having someone inspect it for you, first.

Your chances of being scammed are far less if you shop and buy local.

CL can be a good source for local deals...call, go see the car, talk to the owner, ask about and SEE the paperwork (title, etc.)...but the one thing common to all cases...see the car. touch the car....I even DRIVE the car before I buy....(old fashion thing called "test drive").

Best of luck...remember if it sounds to good to be true, well you know...

And...please feel free to drop back by the forum and poke LB with a stick...we love that stufflaughing

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Zombie thread.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got home from work and the commute...I was a zombie when I wrote it...

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

I am currently talking to women that is in the military that I found on Craigslist for very cheap and it’s like a brand new Jeep easy $5000 dollar Jeep she wants way less then $5000 say that I have to give her my personal info, name,email,phone number and that eBay will send me the car (on her expense) and that I have 5 days to inspect vehicle if I like it or not before money is deposited into her account seems kinda (to good to be true) any commments? 

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Sounds like a good deal. Let us know how it turns out.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Isn't that how you would sell your car? For a fifth of it's value; advertising it half-way across the country from where it's located; Putting it on CL while wanting to use "Ebay's" services; spending $1000 to ship it to it's new owner; and letting the person have it for 5 days to use and abuse, and then paying another grand to ship it home if they don't want it?

Oh, and of course, you'd want the buyer to pay with iTunes gift cards, too- right? Yeah...nothing at all wrong there!

Message 15 of 35
latest reply