cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a Scam?

Trying to buy a motorcoach that was actually listed on rv trader.  However, I received an email from the seller.  I am attaching it below.  Looking for some insight on this.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Is this a Scam?

[Sigh]Of course it's a scam!

The REAL Ebay does not work that way! Ebay does not get involved in shipping of vehicles, nor act as an escrow service, nor does any sane person allow you, a complete stranger, to "test" their vehicle for 5 days!

Any emails you receive purporting to be "from Ebay" are fraudulent. Ebay does not have "agents" and unless you saw the vehicle listed for sale on Ebay.com, Ebay is not involved (and even if they were, they just facilitate the sale- they don't provide any of the services which the scammer claims)

This is one of the oldest scams on the internet.

Want to have some fun? Tell "Her" you'll give "$7500 for the RV...she'll accept it! [Don't actually send it of course- there is no RV! "she" just borrowed the pics from the internet)- but just to show you that it is a scam...and they'll gladly take anything you offer, because it's all free money to them.

If you've given them your personal info, be prepared for possible identity theft in the future, and if you've opened any email attachments, your computer is infected with malware and a keylogger, which they will use to steal your passwords and other goodies.....

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Is this a Scam?

HAHAhaha! Nice touch: "I will not accept loans..." LOL- sure...because when the victim goes to a bank to borrow the money, the loan officer informs them that they are being scammed!

Gee...at least she''s saving you the trouble of going to the bank..... 🙂

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Is this a Scam?

One of the goofyest is always the seller have problems.

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Is this a Scam?

I would like a red one please.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Is this a Scam?

@mr.elmwood wrote:

I would like a red one please.

Like this?:

gmc-motorhome.

Just send me some Hooters gift cards, and I'll ship it to you for free. I need to sell it right away, 'cause I'm in the middle of the Pacific right now, studying amoebas on the bottom of the ocean with Jacques Cousteau (Easy for him, 'cause he no longer requires oxygen, what with him being dead and all...but not so easy for me!!!!)

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Is this a Scam?

If you werent convinced it was a scam, by the time she mentioned Nellis AFB you should have. That is Area 51 and there is no way for you to get in there to look at this RV. Maybe it is a flying saucer made of special translucent aluminum alloy from Neptune.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Is this a Scam?

Be still my bleating heart. Come to poppa.
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Is this a Scam?

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

The REAL Ebay does not work that way! Ebay does not get involved in shipping of vehicles, nor act as an escrow service, nor does any sane person allow you, a complete stranger, to "test" their vehicle for 5 days!

Any emails you receive purporting to be "from Ebay" are fraudulent. Ebay does not have "agents" and unless you saw the vehicle listed for sale on Ebay.com, Ebay is not involved (and even if they were, they just facilitate the sale- they don't provide any of the services which the scammer claims)

Want to have some fun? Tell "Her" you'll give "$7500 for the RV...she'll accept it! [Don't actually send it of course- there is no RV! "she" just borrowed the pics from the internet)- but just to show you that it is a scam...and they'll gladly take anything you offer, because it's all free money to them.

If you've given them your personal info, be prepared for possible identity theft in the future, and if you've opened any email attachments, your computer is infected with malware and a keylogger, which they will use to steal your passwords and other goodies.....

I've heard of buyers giving the scammer a taste of their own medicine. A buyer gave a scammer the address of their local 

Police Department. Eventually, the scammer was caught and is now serving time in jail.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Is this a Scam?

@lex-talon wrote:

@legitimate_bidder wrote:

I've heard of buyers giving the scammer a taste of their own medicine. A buyer gave a scammer the address of their local 

Police Department. Eventually, the scammer was caught and is now serving time in jail.

Probably an urban kegend. These scammers are usually half way around the world. They operate in anonymity.  There's a video on Youtube (If I can remember the title, I'll link it later) of a "Let us access your computer because it has a virus" scammer who actually unknowingly called a detective's office.... After the detective identified himself, the scammer just had fun with him, telling him how the scam works and laughing- He was like "Yeah, if the people are stupid enough to send us money, we then try and get more HAhahah!" -He could care less. There wasn't a thing that detective could do, and they both knew it.  (I wonder who truly robbed more, the overt scammer, or the guy who works for the police, through Civil Asset Forfeiture?).

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Is this a Scam?

http://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Is this a Scam?

Most of them are in Nigeria or Eastern Europe. The money gets bounced through so many points that it is untraceable. Even if it is, Ukraine is going to co-operate? On a civil matter? Not likely.

The terminally stupid will always get hosed, like they have been since the day we crawled out of the swamp. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Is this a Scam?

Lately, the scammers I have been coming in contact with all need lung transplants. None have been military personnel that are soon to be deployed.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Is this a Scam?

Browsing CL last night, I noticed something new- you no longer see the prices on the [whatever you call the page where all the vehicles are shown]- You have to click on an ad, and then you see the price once you are actually in that ad.

No doubt another stupid move to try and combat scammers and those who are stupid enough to fall for the idiotic scams (unlike the OP, who at least had the sense to post here).

Why is it that EVERYTHING these days caters to the lowest common denominator? First it was government...now private companies are doing it. Sure...make things harder and harder for the rest of us...just because it might save some simpleton from falling for a scam...which it won't, because there will always be scams, and there will always be people who fall for them,

No wonder the Western world is in serious decline. And of course, the scammers will just figure out a way around the new speedbump- like putting the price in the image....so this will only end up affecting honest sellers and everyone who's looking to buy.....

Hopefully they'll realize what a bad idear this is, and it'll only be temporary...like when we had to complete a captcha puzzle on every listing to get the contact info- which only lasted about a week....

Idiots!

And ironically, the 3 or so ads I clicked on last night.....were all scams! Now normal people who could spiot the scams just by the price....no longer have that option- so we now end up clicking on the ads because a vital piece of info is missing....in the hopes it'll keep Cletus from clicking on that ad....

They don't think these things through very well, do they?

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Is this a Scam?

Reasonable denial of responsibility. Put up enough lawyer inspired checkpoints and the site is off the hook.

Like little plastic bags "this is not a toy".

I have lost all empathy for anyone making a bad decision. 

People want to believe the vehicle is in a shipping container, free shipping, free trial, free returns: "A five thousand dollar value, yours free! Operators are standing by. But wait, there is more!"

I do not care anymore. I will make fun of these people.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply