cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Handle Non-Paying Bidder's Deposit?

I sold a car on eBay and received a deposit. The buyer has not paid the balance, and it's past the seven day payment requirement. I have tried to contact the buyer but received no response. My listing said the deposit was non-refundable. 

How do I cancel the transaction without refunding the entire deposit amount?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You DON'T cancel the transaction. That would make you the one who is backing out...which obviously is not the case.

You DO file a non-paying bidder claim, so that the bidder can not leave you negative feedbac negative feedback. If he fights it (He doesn't have a leg to stand on, but due to Ebay's lack of foresight in setting up their system, the non-payer can go through the motions) just remember to inform Ebay that his payment was a non-refundable deposit on a motor vehicle for which he never paid the balance, and you will win. And of course, keep the deposit.

You fulfilled you ibligation under the contract by holding the vehicle for the specified time; he didn't fulfill his obligation, because he didn't pay.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You DON'T cancel the transaction. That would make you the one who is backing out...which obviously is not the case.

You DO file a non-paying bidder claim, so that the bidder can not leave you negative feedbac negative feedback. If he fights it (He doesn't have a leg to stand on, but due to Ebay's lack of foresight in setting up their system, the non-payer can go through the motions) just remember to inform Ebay that his payment was a non-refundable deposit on a motor vehicle for which he never paid the balance, and you will win. And of course, keep the deposit.

You fulfilled you ibligation under the contract by holding the vehicle for the specified time; he didn't fulfill his obligation, because he didn't pay.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks

I think he's just a wide-eyed kid, and I don't want to go through the motions with ebay. I'd rather cancel and be done with it - I'm not a professional seller. But if that is the proper way then that's what I'll do. I actually received a higher cash offer locally that I turned down because I thought the car was sold. D'oh!

Will a second chance offer to another buyer trigger a full refund?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

For the cancellation reason, you  need to put "Buyer requested".  I personally would file a non-paying bidder report , rather than a cancellation, but that is your choice.  You are not obligated to return the deposit. PayPal/eBay  will not force a refund at all.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@wink1320 wrote:

Thanks

I think he's just a wide-eyed kid, and I don't want to go through the motions with ebay. I'd rather cancel and be done with it - I'm not a professional seller. But if that is the proper way then that's what I'll do. I actually received a higher cash offer locally that I turned down because I thought the car was sold. D'oh!

Will a second chance offer to another buyer trigger a full refund?

Do not cancel- it could come back to bite you. Very unlikely that it's just a wide-eyed kid, if they paid the deposit. And like I said earlier, if you don't file and follow through with the non-paying bidder claim, the dude can leave you negative feedback- and a negative feedback on your record for a big-ticket item like a car is something you don't need, as it will essentially mean you'll have trouble getting a buyer for that or any other car or big-ticket item you ever list again, or that you will get substantially less money for it.

Believe me, there are a lot of nuts out there who are downright malicious, and will do whatever they can to harm your reputation, even though THEY are the bad guy. Protect yourself by doing things the right way. Sellers have few options left to protect themselves on Ebay these days...you can't even leave negative feedback for the non-payer....so at least do what you can to protect yourself from negative feedback, Ebay sanctions, a bad reputation, and losing money on fees.

If you want to return the guy's deposit after deducting your listing and final value fees, you can still do that- but i sure wouldn't...as you've pointed out, you've already lost money due to this joker, and that is why you are allowed to keep the deposit.

Do what you want, but at least understand the risks involved.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

....and if you cancel it, you will then be obligated to return the deposit.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply