cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Sevice

How can I talk to a real person to check about the legitimacy of a purchase im in the process of completing for a vehicle.. Do transaction numbers start off with letters

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Customer Sevice

Did you see the car on another site, Craigslist,Facebook? Is the 'seller' telling you you will be covered by Ebay protection?Did you receive a fake Ebay invoice, with a fake phone number you can call to verify this ?Have they asked you to pay with gift cards yet? If not, they will. If the answer is yes to all this, its a big, fat, SCAM!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Customer Sevice

@latkee11 

Try using Facebook or Twitter, that worked for me. 

You can send an email message to eBay. Not sure if email is working. It is hit and miss due to COVID-19. I just used it on Aug 11, 2020 and got a reply and solution to a problem I found here on eBay. I was shocked. I used it again on Aug 26, 2020 and got a call and they took care of an eBay issue. 

Here is the link: 

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/contacting-ebay-customer-service/contacting-ebay-customer-service?... 

The email option is at the bottom of the link.  Or you can reach out to customer service using social media: 

eBay on Facebook

eBay on Twitter 

Social media worked for me. I received an answer and resolution to my issue fairly quickly.  The CSR ended up calling me. It wouldn't hurt to leave a contact number.   

You can also try to get phone support by visiting any help topic page, scroll down to the bottom of the page to the call back option.  Click on the option and you should get a message that you will get a call back with the estimated time.

Be advised that this option is not available 24/7. If you try a time that is not eBay’s normal business hours the option may not be there or your call back will be take longer. I recommend trying this option in the morning time.

Hope this helps!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Customer Sevice

@latkee11 

Without a little more details, I can't say you are getting scammed. but, here is a post I posted on vehicle scams. Read this and if it is similar to what you are asking about, then you maybe getting se up for a scam. 

This is another one of the oldest scams here on eBay! Avoid this at all costs or it will end up costing you! So glad you didn't fall for this scam. Here is how it usually goes down. 

The scammer usually asks you to pay with gift cards, anyone asking for payment by gift cards is scamming you. It'a a militray person deloying, death of their child, etc. The sellers next step if you agree is to send you a dummy "invoice" that will really look like it came from eBay, asking you to pay with gift cards to have the vehicle/trailer shipped to you for a free evaluation period. The seller will take the numbers from them and cash out and you will not be able to get you money back! Then the seller disappears. 

The seller may even try to be more convincing by saying that eBay will send it from their warehouse. eBay has no warehouse and does not ship vehicles. eBay does not handle such transactions. So this statement is a lie. 

A vehicle/trailer should be sold through eBay and not a different site. When sold on eBay you will have some protection. Usually, what happens is that you have to pay a deposit. After the deposit, you then make arrangements to meet the seller to inspect the vehicle/trailer and if satisfied you will pay the seller the remaining amount. Never pay for the vehicle in full prior to your meeting no matter what.

I would advise that you report this ad to the site that you found it on to try and get it removed.

You can also report the ad to: 

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) www.ic3.gov

Here are eBay’s links to info on scams: 

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/common-fraud-schemes/online-vehicle-sale-fraud

Here is eBay’s link to report your gift card fraud:

https://pages.ebay.com/giftcard/terms_conditions.html

Hope this helps!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Customer Sevice

In answer to your question, which tells all.....Ebay transactions are 12 numbers...no letters.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Customer Sevice

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you found the vehicle anywhere but eBay (craigslist, facebook marketplace, offerup, letgo, etc) and the scammer told you the transaction would be completed on eBay "for you protection," it is a scam 100% of the time. No legitimate transaction begins on another site and is completed on eBay, ever.

The bait was a super low price, well below the normal range for the vehicle.

You were sent a fake invoice with eBay logos.

If you were instructed to purchase gift cards, likely in $200  amounts, and you gave the seller the card numbers, your money is gone and cannot be traced.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Customer Sevice

If you have already fired off payment with gift cards, etc then there is no completing the transaction. You have been scammed and your money is gone forever. Filing complaints from the local PD clean up through the Federal government  will accomplish nothing.

If you have not paid already in some way and this car is on a  non-eBay related site then back off now and save yourself a lot of grief.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply