cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic Car Frauds

I'm always looking at Classic Mercedes on ebay and lately I see more and more (copied photos & stupid low asking prices) listings that are clearly fraudulent and yet ebay do nothing... I cant even report the listing because the drop down list does not have an appropriate selection when reporting... loosing faith in ebay fast. Today 14 june 2018 I can see at least 5 new listings that are questionable to say the least..

Come on ebay - sort it out

Drivendaddy

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Classic Car Frauds

I wouldn't concern myself with the fraudulent listings, maybe one day eBay will learn to remove them on their own. Meanwhile, they have people like yourself to do their work for them, when you can find the link to report the fraudulent auction.

I see one and I move on, no use "beating a dead horse."  sunglasses

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Classic Car Frauds

Thanks JR,

Totally agree with you but it's such a pain when 5 out of 10 listings are fraudulent... I believe eBay could stop the fraudsters in their tracks, ie they have the tech to know if a photo is a copy from another item surely.

Where can we complain or is it just another complete waste of time??

DD

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Classic Car Frauds

I wouldn't waste the time complaining as it just falls on deaf ears. This has gone on since eBay was placed into service, their only concerns are that people behave and profits.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Classic Car Frauds

Look a couple of topics down and you will see where a person fell for one of these and what the out come is. Better look soon though because I'll be willing to bet that the topic won't be there much longer.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Classic Car Frauds

I seen it earlier, we can't control what people do. The warning signs were there, they were either glossed over, ignored, or both. In the past I felt sorry for the individual that was scammed but with so many of them going on today, I'm immuned to them.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Classic Car Frauds

@drivendaddy wrote:

I'm always looking at Classic Mercedes on ebay and lately I see more and more (copied photos & stupid low asking prices) listings that are clearly fraudulent and yet ebay do nothing... I cant even report the listing because the drop down list does not have an appropriate selection when reporting... loosing faith in ebay fast. Today 14 june 2018 I can see at least 5 new listings that are questionable to say the least..

Come on ebay - sort it out

Drivendaddy

how much does it cost to list a vehicle on Ebay Motors?

$35??

Ebay cannot patrol every listing,Buyer Beware is best defense for ebay shoppers.

Also,just because it is listed at a low price,it does not mean it is fraud,Ebay cannot remove a listing because price is too low?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Classic Car Frauds

I know that I am going to sound like an "old timer" saying this, but once upon a time eBay was a great place to sell.  I was here in 1998 and sold here for nearly 20 years.  In that time, the site has become riddled with frauds and scams.  There was once an individual who was very critical of the site and he ended up getting banned.  

We no longer sell through eBay.  The fees have gotten to the point that you can easily spend $400 per car relisting and that kind of sales rate just costs us money and earns eBay profits.  There are lots of cars for sale here, but if you pull up something at random, you'll see that the site is littered with classified ads.  This is not the platform that we wanted.

Doing a random search of "Chevrolet", the site returns 10,058 listings.  Those are broken down as follows:

Auctions - 1,933

Buy It Now - 3,775

Remainder - 4,350 (classified ads)

So, the number of true bidding auctions represents less than 20 percent of the volume and the classified ad represents about 43 percent.  That's not the type of platform that most of us built in the early to mid 2000s.

The bottom line is that you can come here and complain all day long and no one cares at eBay.  I've written a few letters to their corporate office and end up getting a quick e-mail reply by someone who knows nothing of the car business.

We spent our last real fees on eBay in mid-2016.  Since then we've advertised through other means and have had much better results.

Unless you have a highly specialized vehicle or something dirt cheap that needs a lot of work, this is not the platform to use.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply