cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car sold, deposit made, ebay now tells me they are holding the deposit for 21 days? **bleep**?

Just sold my first car on ebay with a $1k  deposit.  Checked my paypal account and they've placed a hold on the deposit for 21 days?  The buyer wants to pick the car up and doesn't understand the hold, neither do I.  Certainly only an idiot would release a car without it being paid for.  What's the point of using paypal if they hold the funds for weeks?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Car sold, deposit made, ebay now tells me they are holding the deposit for 21 days? **bleep**?

I don't have any responsibility to 'complete' a transaction before I'm paid. eBay is acting as an unlicensed escrow company. They do not have the legal right to use paypal to hold funds when the buyer has been charged by their card company for the purchase. Their 'fine print' policy cannot usurp the law. No one in their right mind would release a car before funds have been received by the seller.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

All new sellers are subject to the 21 day hold. This has been in place for years. 

Your responsibility is to complete the transaction and the money will be released to you.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I don't have any responsibility to 'complete' a transaction before I'm paid. eBay is acting as an unlicensed escrow company. They do not have the legal right to use paypal to hold funds when the buyer has been charged by their card company for the purchase. Their 'fine print' policy cannot usurp the law. No one in their right mind would release a car before funds have been received by the seller.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Then, the funds will not be released to you. 

This is a fight you will not win.

You have two choices. Complete the transaction as agreed, or, cancel the sale, refund their money, and leave never to be heard from again.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Well said!

Don't you just love people who come here with a degree from The University of Waxed Bar Stool and quote the law?

It is called a user agreement and the seller already agreed to the terms when he logged in and used the site.

LOL

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

They get away with it, because the money is "in your PayEnemy account".....you just can't use it.

You think that's bad? If you haven't jumped through all of the extra hoops to get a super-duper-deluxe PP account, they will only let you withdraw $500 PER MONTH out of your account, AFTER the 21 day hold'em is up. So it may take you two months to free all of your money.

Any wonder why many of us no longer sell here? 'specially big-ticket items!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Many are still here and quite happy.

Sell the car, get the money released and move on.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

You have zero feedback so eBay and PayPal want to be sure you are not just a scammer.  And you started when?

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I'm assuming you're not speaking in jest, Legit. Smiley SurprisedWhat pray tell is "a super-duper-deluxe PP account,?"  I don't have anything special that I know of, and I take money out of PP in any amount I want, any time I want. Maybe somehow your settings for Paypal got changed??

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

LBJ heard something from the Piggly-Wiggly cashier, who was talking, gum cracking, on her phone, about her sister's, boyfriend's, other girlfriend, who went to school with a guy who had to pay a pal the $500 he borrowed.

I can take $400 out per day, bank machine, transfer any amount from PP to my bank account. Always been that way.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@corndog2@mr.elmwoodWhelp, who knows how Ebay's/PayEnemy's Al-Gore-Rhythms work? I've only sold an item or two on this, my own account- and when I sold a bicycle a while back for $2300....it took me MONTHS to get all of the money out of PP, unless I wanted to jump through further hoops...which I didn't. Never again! (At least I made a nice profit on the bike after riding it for 6 months....)

Yous* watch...the OP will be back after the 2 days!

[^='Yous' is a grammatically valid word for ex-NYers. Where's Dom or Impaler Johnny...they can confirm this!]

Message 11 of 11
latest reply