cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidder asks if I would take Paypal for the entire sale price, $10K+

He said he would pay the $300+ fee but I told him no. Seeing that vehicles aren't covered by Paypal buyer protection, should I reconsider? They could still do a credit card chargeback but don't think that works on vehicles either.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Ah! You already know the answer!

The other possibility (and most likely) is that the dude thinks he is going to scam you with the very common scam of sending you a spoof email pretending to be from PayPal, hoping that you'll click on it and try logging in through the spoof webpage that will appear...and BOOM! They'll have your password......or one of the other common scams, like saying the money is in your account when it isn't, or sending you an overage and getting you to send some back, and then it turns out the funds from them were fraudulent or charged back.

Make the guy stick to the terms which you specified in your listing.  You're right on track!

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

If the bidder is honest they won't have a problem adhering to your terms; not theirs.

Kind of a mine field anymore.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

He said he would pay the $300+ fee but I told him no. Seeing that vehicles aren't covered by Paypal buyer protection, should I reconsider? They could still do a credit card chargeback but don't think that works on vehicles either.

If you fall for it, you've only yourself to blame. A no is a no.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

So I just now noticed that Ati is the OP.....

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

That's what I thought. Odd that he wants to pay me an extra $300 just to use Paypal.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

That's what I thought. Odd that he wants to pay me an extra $300 just to use Paypal.

Probably has no cash but a high amount he can borrow on his credit card he has on his PP account.

But the answer is still the same as the others, NO!

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

If the dude isn't an outright scammer, then he most likely either believes that he will be protected by PayPal buyer protection, or he wants to keep the option of doing a chargeback on his CC as an ace in the hole/warranty/insurance policy..... No matter how ya slice it, there's a good chance that it'll work out poorly for you.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Or, the guy has $10K in Paypal and no real bank acount. Lots of people are like that. No chequing account, no real way to transfer funds. 

Could be the buyer's play money that he does not have to ask the wife about. How many sales die from not checking with the Mrs?

Lot's of reasons why this can be legit.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Or, the guy has $10K in Paypal and no real bank acount. Lots of people are like that. No chequing account, no real way to transfer funds. 

Could be the buyer's play money that he does not have to ask the wife about. How many sales die from not checking with the Mrs?

Lot's of reasons why this can be legit.

Mmmmmmm, could be [-Bugs Bunny].....but is it worth the hassle/risk to find out? 'Specially when the bidder wants AFTER the fact to deviate from the terms of the listing? Oh...wait...does Ati mean that the bidder is asking while the listing is still live? That would definitely give the guy a lot more credibility and probably rule out the potential of him being a scammer....but there's still the CC chargeback issue....and if the guy doesn't even have a "checqueing" account, he's likely judgement-proof.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

No idea what the battery thaw man is selling. I cannot find a listed nor recently ended. 

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

We had this conversation last year. With this link, I can see it. Going into your "listings", it does not show.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/atikovi/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Because you're in Canada? I see all 778 of your listings if I click on your "listings."

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

That was the basis of our exact conversation, last year. Same type of thing, a vehicle.

I forget the outcome.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply