cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1979 Town Car Spark Sometimes

Hello all,

1979 Town car. Cranks but wont start. No spark at plugs or coil when checked with an inline test light. But when it feels like it the car fires right up and runs and drives great. So this is an intermittent problem.

Changed cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, they were due to be changed anyway. Wondering where to go from here. Coil, module, something else?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I believe that a 79 model is actually a Continental with a Town Car package.  It has a carburetor so you don't have a throttle body system to check.

Ignition control module is typically what goes wrong.  The circuit board and solder joints fail, not worth trying to repair, toss in a new one.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Coil and module pretty cheap, so is the distributor pickup coil.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I believe that a 79 model is actually a Continental with a Town Car package.  It has a carburetor so you don't have a throttle body system to check.

Ignition control module is typically what goes wrong.  The circuit board and solder joints fail, not worth trying to repair, toss in a new one.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@impalajohnny

I had the same problem with a 1990 Honda.

the coil pack had a hair line crack, when it got warm, the spark would go to ground.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Its going to be the module johnny.
How can I miss you if you wont go away ?
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Changed the coil because it was the cheaper part and the car cranks stronger so probably worth doing but that did not solve the problem.

As usual you guys were right, changed the ignition control module this morning and the car has been firing up instantly all day long everytime the key is turned.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@tony1963

Yes, it is a Continental. Town Car was just a submodel/trim package in 79'. But calling it a town car at the parts counter seperates the men from the boys.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

uggg, car won't start today. So problem is not fixed. New coil, module, cap, rotor, wires, plugs. Not sure what to try next?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Distributor pickup? Ignition switch? You definitely need to keep one of these in the trunk of any older car https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-D-Tools-2632-Portable-Ignition-System-Tool-/173033165940?_trksid=p2385738...

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I guess distributer pickup is the next step. Correct me if I'm wrong but since the car cranks strong everytime the key is turned I think the ignition switch is working properly?

Preliminary research shows the pickup costing $30 and the entire distributer costing $34. Seems like spending the extra 4 bucks would be a better deal. I'm assuming a rebuilt unit would come with a new pickup?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I still think its the module, Wouldnt be the 1st new china part to go belly up at the git go.

Take it in a have them test it at least to confirm you have a good one.

How can I miss you if you wont go away ?
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

To add a wrinkle to the module, the car had an MSD 8778 aftermarket module. The OEM was a direct direct match except one of the 3 harnasses had 3 pins instead of 2. We opined at the parts store that the 3rd pin was a ground that could be ignored. I cut that harnass off the new module and off the msd, and spliced the msd harnass on the new module so I didn't have to cut or tamper with the wiring in the car. I abandoned the wire that had been going to the third pin.

The car had been running fine until recently so there is no suspicion that whoever installed the MSD module caused this problem.

There were 2 modules for the 79 continental, a 2 harnass that was post febuary 79 and a 3 harnass that was pre febuary 79. My door sticker says febuary 79 without an exact day. But since the MSD had 3 harnasses I assue the pre febuary 3 harnass was correct for the car.

I could toss in a new distributer myself or pull the module and get it tested. But if you guys think my wiring is probably bungled I'd probably give in and take the car to an auto electric place.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Long time back, I had an '87 T15 Jimmy. Started running poorly, throwing codes. I was chasing my butt around the garage and, before investing real cash, went to a dealer and paid them $40 to diagnose. It sure as heck wasn't what I thought, not at all what the codes said to me. 

That saved me a tonne of time and money.

I did the work myself as it was the TBI fuel injector. I did not see that as the codes were sending me elsewhere.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply