cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1941 Military Willys Jeep Part

I recently acquired a trunk full of NIB 1941 military Willys Jeep parts.  I know nothing about this stuff, but fortunately, most of the parts had labels on them. This one, however, came wrapped in tissue with no label. Does anybody know what it is? Used for? Called? Thanks for any help!

Willys Jeep 029.JPGWillys Jeep 030.JPGWillys Jeep 028.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Industrial I would think.  The relays are operated by some sort of control panel that would have a lower volt and amperage powering it. One ten or less. The low voltage goes to the coil when activated by a push button or other means and the higher volts / amps go through the relay when the coil magnetically pulls the points on the relay together.  Hope this helps.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

They look like Vintage Electric Relay switches.

I don't believe these were ever used on a vehicle, as those paper wrapped coils would be toast when damp, but you never know, I'm not familiar with all the military options available to jeeps back then, and there may have been an option that needed 5 different switches. 

They're attached to that plate with just a couple of screws, so pull one or two off and see if they have a part number or any other information on them.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Yep. They are vintage industrial relays. They would have nothing to do with the Jeep. What they are for is any ones guess. They could be used for a unlimited number of applications.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks. I'll try that.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for that. Can you advise me on a category of potential applications? I'm trying to figure out where to list it on ebay.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Industrial I would think.  The relays are operated by some sort of control panel that would have a lower volt and amperage powering it. One ten or less. The low voltage goes to the coil when activated by a push button or other means and the higher volts / amps go through the relay when the coil magnetically pulls the points on the relay together.  Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply