cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

03 Envoy

Hello you all. Long time since i posted here.I have a new project.I got an 03 G.M.C. envoy to surprize my wife with since hers has close to 300,000 miles on it.This one is the same color and clean as a whistle in side and out and with only 170, 000 miles on it.Now the problem.The motor spins over but wont start.If was an old car like i am used to working on i would know what to look for , but i am not sure on this envoy.Any ideas?It was so clean i couldnt pass it up.Thanks Bruce.

Message 1 of 276
latest reply
275 REPLIES 275

03 Envoy

There is no simple answer. The first thing you have to do is determine what is missing; fuel or spark.

Use some aerosol carb cleaner and spray a healthy shot into the intakeor a vacuum line. If it starts and runs for a second or two then you know the issue is fuel related.

Next step would be to jump the fuel pump relay and energize the pump. If it runs then the problem is in the controls; and there'a  lot of them.

Wild guessing, I might say a bad CPS (crank position sensor).

Message 2 of 276
latest reply

03 Envoy

common problem on the 2003 envoy.  houzledorf valves are out of phase. look under the hood for the button with a flashing red light, push the button and it will reset!   seriously though, way to vague a description of issue to diagnose! did you buy it non running, symptoms before it quit? you can remove air filter and spray starting fluid in to see if it fires, you can check for spark at the plugs but neither will pinpoint the issue. a code reader would be very useful, even a $50.00 harbor freight unit. with computorized fuel injection, their are many sensors that monitor the peramiters, any one of those could be bad. again on the spark, its not just a coil and points any more!  even with all that good, timing belt or head gasket might be bad. could also be as simple as a fuse or relay.  usually, when someone says "it's broke, what should i do"  my answer is to swing by the atm and come back.

Message 3 of 276
latest reply

03 Envoy

Bruce, a code scanner is indispensible with anything that new. You can try the good suggestions that others have already mentioned here...but after that, it would just be guessing if you don't scan it and see what kind of codes it was throwing.

On these newer vehicles it could be something really stupid too- it might not even be broken- for example: I had a vehicle I bought from a friend....ran fine when he dropped it off. He left...and then the darn thing wouldn't start. I call him to see if he had any ideas. "Try the other key". VOILA! It started right up! Turns out, one of the keys had been cut, but never programmed, so when that key was used, the vehicle would crank and do everything else, except start.

That's the kind of insanity ya get to deal with, with these stupid new contraptions. Me? I will not buy anything newer than 2000. I'm trying to get back to 70's vehicles for daily drivers....these newer cars are just too much of a hassle...and for what? They don't do anything special, but they feel like plastic toys.

Message 4 of 276
latest reply

03 Envoy

@fisc-bruc

Check for spark,

Most distributors have a transistor, no points

so a 2 buck thing goes out, boom no spark.

Message 5 of 276
latest reply

03 Envoy

Rip, the guy i bought it from said he had replaced that aready hoping that was the problem.I have the battery charging now.Thanks Bruce.

Message 6 of 276
latest reply

03 Envoy

Jrinam, i bought it non running.It was in such nice shape.He had told me it had thrown a code which was a miss fire on cylinder #2.What little battery life it had it just showed service engine light was on.I think he said he had replaced the plugs on it.{like i said i have the battery charging now.Its a brand new battery}I have a Buick station wagon in my shop right now waiting for the radiator to be flushed { guy just called and said it was ready} so i am going to pick it up Monday and i can move the wagon out of the shop so i can get the envoy in.Thanks Bruce.

Message 7 of 276
latest reply

03 Envoy

L.B. I am restoring a 1987 Buick Estate station wagon right now .It even has the 3 row seating.When i saw this Envoy i knew my wife was going to need one soon since hers is nearing 300,000 miles that why i bought it.My step son is bring up his scanner to double check it.Thanks Bruce.

Message 8 of 276
latest reply

03 Envoy

HI Dave.This one doesnt have a dist. She got coil packs.Thanks Bruce.

Message 9 of 276
latest reply

03 Envoy

Jrinam, Like i said my stepson is bring up his scanner to check it out.I dont want to start throwing things at it with out knowing what it is so, i agree with yoou.Thanks.Bruce.

Message 10 of 276
latest reply

03 Envoy

you can switch coil packs from another cylinder and see if it follows the coil. the atless 4200 is an excelant motor but have been known to burn exhaust valves. i would check the injector too. first, is it clicking? unplug the wires and run jumpers, ground and hot, and see if it clicks when you add/remove power.  one bad cylinder should not keep it from firing so think there is something else in addition to the miss in cylinder x

Message 11 of 276
latest reply

03 Envoy

Well, i just got back with the radiator for the Buick wagon The guy said it was clogged up.Sure looks like he did a good job, he even put in a metal petcock and took the **bleep** plastic one out .Not too bad for $80.Now headed down to the shop and i am going to flush the block out on the Buick wagon and install the radiator.Then i can move it out of the way and roll the Envoy in.Bruce.

Message 12 of 276
latest reply

03 Envoy

Jrinam, the thing is, about Bruce, there is a lot to know. Man is a legend on this board. Barrel rolls tractors, fights off man eating pythons, has a guy wire act with a station wagon. Got beat up by a gradfather clock, once, so bad, his wife was threatening to put up security cameras, INSIDE the house. 

He tain't "normal". Ask Teresa.

Message 13 of 276
latest reply

03 Envoy

@mr.elmwoodwrote:

Jrinam, the thing is, about Bruce, there is a lot to know. Man is a legend on this board. Barrel rolls tractors, fights off man eating pythons, has a guy wire act with a station wagon. Got beat up by a gradfather clock, once, so bad, his wife was threatening to put up security cameras, INSIDE the house. 

He tain't "normal". Ask Teresa.

normal is boring, crazy people have much more fun!

Message 14 of 276
latest reply

03 Envoy

Bruce does NOT suffer from insanity! (He enjoys every moment of it!)

I just wish I could've been there to see when he and Elmwinkle got together...or to at least see the adtermath!

Message 15 of 276
latest reply