cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is on your want list?

When it comes to RR memorabilia, what is on you want list?

I picked a home this afternoon of a gentlemen that was nothing less than a hoarder of everything RR. Books, calendars, paper related, MS Train Simulation games… you name it.  Every room was filled.

I just don’t know if anything of this is worth anything to someone.    I’m going back tomorrow for some engines and rolling stock. Not really sure if I should put some $$ into the others for resale.

Please let me know of your thoughts or opinions.

A computer app is a reflection of its creator. Show me a robust computer app and I will show you an intelligent programmer.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Larry,

I donno either, most of my interests are pretty specific in this area I live and am modeling, and I tend to be cheap or just don't have much money to spend on trains, so I usually buy carefully.

All the best,

Charles

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Ended up going back as I said I would.  Many of the choice items were already sold, I did pick a couple nice Bachmann engines for a nice price and a bag full of some very cool coffee table train books.  Along with memorabilia items.  A good day.

A computer app is a reflection of its creator. Show me a robust computer app and I will show you an intelligent programmer.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

That will teach ya! Next time just dive right in the first day. My suggestion is to always carry the Walthers wish books with you when yard sale shopping. This way you have a resource to give you a price range for haggeling. With the predominance of DCC today, the older DC only enngines can be had for a song. Some can be converted to DCC if you want to invest in them. Older craftsman kits that are unbuilt and still in their boxes are always a good investment.  Of course everything depends on the condition of the item. The last time I went to a train yard sale, the stuff was all junque. The "modeler" had painted with a brush his own RR names over the factory paint jobs. A sin!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

yea RR memorbilia is really a personal thing so sometime you take a chance on buying stuff for a bargain in hopes of reselling and make a little profit.

As Pete said,,, Condition Condition condition.

I bought a couple RR stock certificates (coupons cashed out of course) as I thought they were cool to have framed in my modelling/layout room.  One was Great Northern sort of blue tinting on certificate. Another one I picked up was M-K-T only because it was from late 1800s.    I'm a BN fan so I would like one of those withJames Hill name on the certificate  but they go for $$$$.

The old fashion RR lock with BN logo is probably the only other thing that interests me. I'm not into crossbucks and lights and lanterns, tie plates, etc etc. 

to be silly, If I  won the lottery, I think it would be cool to have a BN SD40-2. even if it didnt work.

Or..... 2 or 3 coach cars linked together and converted to a house inside.

Even a house made from shipping containers is on my list. very affordable to get the containers. make a cheap house as far as the basic structure side of things.

I'm maxed out as far as N scale stuff. like everyone else, I broke all my cardinal rules ragarding buying stuff and layout stuff. I went to so much trouble and expense to get coal cars that I refuse to thin that part of collection. I have thought about selling a couple locos that I could live without. whether or not I get around to doing that. They're paid for so doesn't cost anything to keep them.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply