cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Too Much

Why is it that a lot of people do not do any research before they bid on items? I was looking at an item that is made in GB and I went to the mfg. website to see just how much the item was at full retail. Then I went to the currency converter in Bank of Canada and found out the equivilant in both US and Canadian dollars to the GB Pound Sterling. Now I knew just how much to bid for the item in US dollars to equal the full mfg. price tag. Why would I pay more? DUH! Well, I was immediately outbid! OK jerk. I'll order the item direct from the mfg. for less than the auction final price will be. Makes me shiver sometimes. Anybody else shake their head at some bidders? I mean, this is a new item. Not an OOP. WOW! B-) PS: The shipping is cheaper from the mfg. too.
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Paying Too Much

This is one of my gripes, even with BIN prices in some stores, the retail is $21.95 for an Intermountain cyl hopper, they get bid to $30+ and some sellers list them at $40 and $50 BIN then I have the added joy of $3 post in the US and $48 to me, wow $98 for a $21.95 hopper, not gonna happen! and it's not like they are that hard to find over there and I/M releases another batch every month or there abouts, I haven't paid $48 post for anything either but I know even priority is less than $20 for a N scale car, I bought a 1/18 scale drag car and it cost $20 and weighs a whole lot more than a hopper. ]:)
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Paying Too Much

Like arry said. It blows me away to see sellers wanting $20-30 to ship a boxcar to Canada. As I mentioned recently, a few ebay stores selling coalveyor cars for 20-40 bucks. gotta wonder if they do that on purpose so no one will buy it but in the process see thier ebay or real store. Cheap advertisement for your shop right? I do the same thing Pete. If auction gets too high then I may as well order thru an online biz or LHS. The whole idea of ebay is to get a deal. If it is something I truly want, then I will use BIN if it works out cheaper than going thru LHS or online shops. Perhaps some people get wrapped up in the auction experience and once they get attached to something and get outbid, then they turn into 'gotta have it' syndrome....just like the Barret Jackson car auctions. heheh
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Paying Too Much

I do go crazy on some items that are truly OOP. But not often. ]:)
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Paying Too Much

Watched a few items and had some bids on coal cars. Lost all auctions. One auction watched, 4 E&C Shops coalporters sold for $62. lotta money for 4 cars.
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Paying Too Much

obviously another gotta have it at all cost buyers, they need to get a life. ]:)
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Paying Too Much

For the bidders, I just shake my head and figure these guys just don't recognize that some of the things on eBay are normal retail products available form regular retailers for a better price. So I guess clueless, nothing better to do, never took a moment to think about it or whatever; a good reminder to put the ol' gray cells in gear before starting the day. One of the biggest mysteries for me is sellers that charge more that the nominal discount price available from retailers, and worse than that the guys selling an item for minimum bid higher than BIN's of the same item from a big rliable seller. Weird for sure, Charles PS, you-all been busy while I have been away...
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Paying Too Much

nascarpetlover
Enthusiast
Well like yesterday, I bought a decal set from LHS. They will order it from Walther's and have in about a week or so. If I had ordered direct from Walther's I would had to pay a shipping charge, this way get it for list price and no shipping charge. Also just a few MTL cars from Ebay as they have relaxed their Paypal only status and I can use a USPS money order instead. They can't advertise it so to speak, but if buyer requests it and seller agrees it can be done so as not to miss out on higher price sale.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Paying Too Much

Anybody know what the MT G&D boxcar is worth? B-)
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Paying Too Much

I honestly thought if anyone would know, it would be you, I guess if you try asking N scale collector through the M/T site they may be able to help. ]:)
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Paying Too Much

i'm currently looking it up for ya Pete.. If you have the MTL# it would help me greatly. -- Edited by dl85vette at 11/17/2009 4:05 PM PST
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Paying Too Much

Car has noe number on box end. It is Heritage Collection Issue #1, car number 8409, G&D. No date can be found on box insert printing. I'll try looking for a number in the MT news letters. I have 11 hours left to bid on it. B-) I didn't see it in my ref book. sorry. -- Edited by dl85vette at 11/18/2009 3:38 PM PST
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Paying Too Much

so are you happy with the price you got it for, looks like a pretty good deal to me. ]:)
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Paying Too Much

So $21.59 is less than I have paid for others. Good deal. He who shall not be named had one in his store and was asking $79 for it. Thanks for looking Dave. I guess the only place to find it is in the Collectors Society price list. I don't belong. Anyhwo....now I have three of them. Whoopee!!!!!! B-)
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Paying Too Much

bigmodelhobbies
Enthusiast
When I'm looking for something, I tend to shop around. I'd like to give my local hobby shop my business if the product is in the store and prices are comparible (ordering online + shipping), but they are difficult to deal with when it comes to special orders or requests. Walthers (aka the Terminal Hobby Shop) keeps a fairly accurate online inventory and has been easy to shop online. When all else fails, I shop eBay for what I seek. It's all about cavet emptor here.
Message 15 of 21
latest reply