cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Bugs - Ebay mobile app version 5.16.1 for iOS

After using the iOS eBay app version 5.16.1 more extensively I find it can be pretty useless. A few versions back I NEVER had to use the browser based editor. I could always use the mobile version which made edited and new item posting so convenient. I could trust that the master database of my listed items would remain accurate.

You have to walk on egg shells now with version 5.16.1. In some cases edits will wipe out fixes you had to make using the browser version. All roads to editing a listing should NEVER erase settings or set them back to another editing software's defaults. At this point it looks like eBay developers do not test their programs.

To this point I have found the following bugs.

1) Attempting to create a similar listing and exclude photos ALWAYS includes the photos. This forces the seller to have to delete the old photos ONE BY ONE. I reported this on another thread and believe I saw another seller flag this as well.

2) The handling charges have been removed. On top of that if you then edit a listing via this version of the app the handling charges for a listing you may have set via the browser editor will be wiped out. To try this go to the web browser version of ebay and add a handling charge. Then check it via your browser. Then go to the mobile iOS app and revise the description. Save and you just lost your handling charges.

3) Return periods other than 14 days will be lost in the same manner as #2 above. Just set a 30 day in the browser and come back to the iOS mobile app. Make and save a change say to the description field. Your 30 days is back to 14.

4) I have found when editing the description field if it is all non-bolded and you start to edit the existing text the added text will then be bolded. I have had to resort to using the external app for my description changes and then clearing and pasting my externally created description into this app. Not sure if this happens on every listing.

5) I noticed that listing an unsold item shows applicable fees prior to posting. Great. However, I did not see the same when creating a new listing.

If ebay wants sellers to use the mobile app it should be able to do whatever the browser version can do. If something is missing that is fine as I understand it takes time to add everything. Some pieces may not even be possible. Fine. However, do not add editing of handling charges and then remove it later on. Or allow returns but not allow adjusting the time period. And don't just wipe out settings that one editing platform uses and another does not since they all use the same database. Very frustrating. I find I can only trust what the browser shows me. Editing in the mobile app is frankly scary now. Time is precious and I feel I am spending more double checking where it should not be needed.

Good luck to other sellers. Hopefully this is corrected sooner than later.

If I find something else or goofed myself I will update this post.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Add another bug - Feedback from both buyer and seller does not necessarily appear in the app also. I had given a buyer feedback a few days ago. Today, that buyer gave me feedback. In the item itself it did not show up. In the summary it did though. This is through the current iOS app. If the web browser is used to access my account there is no problem.

);

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I too have noticed the app version is totally worthless now and constantly makes whatever changes to your listing as it sees fit. For me it changed my shipping charges and then upon inspection I seen it had no option for handling charges anymore but the mere fact it would change my shipping charges to what is "recommended" simply because I changed the listing price I found completely unacceptable! Unless selecting that option it should never automatically chose it for you! From that moment on I used the web browser from my phone but even that is sometimes a constant battle as it wants to try and force you into using the mobile version even after repeatedly clicking classic site. From all the glitches you listed above glad I didn't decide to try and use the app further.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Yep. Once you have your listing set the smallest change via this app will wipe out custom handling and/or return settings made via the browser side. How ebay can release this with it’s obvious bugs is beyond me. Only use now is to post an item initially. Or I guess never use the browser side which has much more functionality so that cannot be right. 

Wish they would acknowledge the problems and indicate when a fix is coming. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Same here, can’t see my profile or any other buyer profile , also can’t contact buyer from the app as I can’t view his profile. Please fix it
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@bhowell1

Thank you for all the details here. We are looking into each of these items on the list. #1, #3 will be handled in the next update. #5 the listing fees will only show up when there is a fee, we have heard reports that you would like to see the fee even when free and we will look into this. #4 we will need to investigate this, are you doing a sell one like this and then editing a description? Any steps you are doing here will help us narrow it down. In the meantime, if the new selling changes are causing some extra work it may be best to stick to the desktop or bulk change your Return Policy and Handling Time after listing. 

The feedback should appear for both the buyer and seller. We will look into this.

Thank you

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@*sommerssecretgarden*

Thank you for the additional details. In the app you are going into revise a listing to adjust the price and it is changing your shipping options? Could you let us know an item this was happening on and if you recall what you had set for shipping and what it wanted to change this to?

Thanks

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I only want to see a fee when there is one. I tried preview again and do see a fee when it applies. I did not before so I will have to try again to see if I can repeat.

On the description I did some more testing. In the editing page the description will be non-bolded and then upon editing the entire description will be bolded. iOS keyboard will show bold on and italics and underline off. Cannot turn bold off so if I edit anything the inserted text goes in as bold. This is misleading though as all the text looks bold but rrally is not. If I then save the description the text is back to non-bolded but the edited text just inserted is bold. I also had a few where I would just open and close the description a few times and it would finally open unbolded to begin. Bold (the B) on the keyboard editor would be on though. I tried a number of listings and it is sort of inconsistent. I even had a few that said the formatting would be lost and do you want to continue. Not sure what that might be but accepting the change caused no problems. My iOS version is 11.1.2 if that helps.

On the handling charges being wiped out...I no longer use the app to edit a listing that I know has special handling charges. I just use it to post and then go over to a PC and edit the charges. Waste of time frankly.  I make my start price higher now also to give me time to make the necessary change in handling and then reduce the item price. Handling for me is for signature on delivery and extra protection. I think you should just put handling back into the app or at least do not wipe it out. 

If I see anything else I will let you know.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

If this was unclear, the bold keyboard setting (B) cannot be turned off in the situation I described in the last message. Underline and Italics can and never were an issue. Those three settings are above the main keyboard. Anyway, you probably can test a few items or take some of mine to test with to see if you can repeat the issue.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Another problem with the update is that there is no longer a place to add or edit seller notes.  I have to go to the browser version to do this.  Overall, this update has been a disaster and has easily tripled the time it takes to list over the older app.  As a result, I've listed far fewer items than I otherwise would have.  Perhaps worst of all was the completely indifferent response I got when I called customer service to complain.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@bandman72

We have sent you a direct message with some questions.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply