cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer told me to buy 2 eBay cards

Now I am out of 300 dollars , I need my money back. I’m so mad .  
I have the buyer number and email. 

9030496B-B056-45A8-B412-B49AA7F86324.png

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Buyer told me to buy 2 eBay cards

Never text or email any buyer outside of eBay before payment has been received.

Gift cards are for giving gifts to people you know.

Anyone that asks you to purchase a gift card to complete a transaction is trying to scam you.

If a potential buyer wants to add a gift card to an existing order, you should know that eBay has no way of adding the additional cost to the transaction, so that should tell you that the "buyer" has no intention of paying you through eBay (or at all).

And eBay never requires payment by gift card -- and eBay gift cards can only be used when checking out on ebay.com. If someone is specifically asking you to pay with a gift card, you are not dealing with eBay, but a scammer who wants to steal your money.

Never reveal gift card codes to anyone via text, email or over the phone. If you give the code to anyone, that person can spend the money on eBay and you will have no recourse.

If you have not revealed the gift card codes to anyone, you can still use the cards to buy things on eBay, or give the cards as gifts.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Well this is just great! I am out of 300 bucks. I don’t know how eBay and PayPal works. Thank you

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@crygar_62   Adding to the other excellent advice.   I see that the member is no longer a registered user so you may not be able to file an unpaid item case to get your ebay sellers fees back.  You may need to contact CS if they do not automatically credit you the fees.  

As for funds holds>>> 

Never ship until you log into paypal and see that it says payment received OKAY TO SHIP.     As a new seller it will say HELD by the funds.

Funds are usually released about 24 business hours after tracking that you upload to ebay and paypal shows delivery.  No tracking or the item is $1 thousand or over and the funds are held up to 21 days

eBay payment holds
If you're a new seller who hasn't established a selling record yet, we may put payments from your buyers on hold. You'll become an established seller when:

It's been more than 90 days since your first successful sale.
You've had more than 25 transactions and $250 in sales.

We may also hold funds for 21 days if we determine the transaction to be a risk. Category, price, and seller standing can all contribute to this decision. You can identify this by the estimated release date in the sold section of My eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/pending-payments?id=415...

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Sorry to read this:

And yes you are out the money:

follow other advice given to at least no have to pay the fees to eBay.

https://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/stay_safe.html 

https://pages.ebay.com/giftcardscams/ 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

This scammer is going to try to keep scamming you because you are a new seller and already fell for it once. Don't fall for any more promises from him or any one else.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

If you believe that you or someone you know was scammed into buying eBay Gift Cards, visit our gift card page to contact customer service and find additional information related to gift card scams.

Thank you.​​​​​​​

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

scammers get free numbers and emails off the net so to track them is impossible. They are also in another Country working from a cafe shop using free internet.  scammers pick on new sellers, they have even said they will send the Police if you do not comply with PayPal demands.  In eBay you can sell hundreds of items and never "talk" to a single buyer.   Look for Red Flags in the future and google eBay scams for things to look out for.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Thank you so much! 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Thank you for great information. I can’t believe this happened to me. Gezz, I now know.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@crygar_62 wrote:

Thank you for great information. I can’t believe this happened to me. Gezz, I now know.

I'm so sorry this happened to you but I'm glad to see that you are acknowledging that you have learned from it. Stuff happens to all of us at some point in life, the important part is the learning. Share what happened to you so that others can also learn from your error. Try to remain positive that this won't occur again to you. This is a growing lesson. Best of luck to you....

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

You appear to be fairly new to eBay and as such you have a big bullseye on your account for scammers. Sorry this happened to you. You may want to read through some of the other posts on this board and identify some of the common scams that are pulled off so you can identify them before this happens to you again. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Just wanted to add that i noteced the one item you sold was a high priced item over four hundred dollars and a now listed is a designer pure over six hundred that is also a double spotlight for scammer unfortunately

When just starting to sell best to start out selling small obtain feedback history and experience

first thing i sold many years ago was my old VHS  movie library after switching to DVDs

any low cost  usable items in excellent condition will work pretty good until you get some experience and start getting feedback

Sorry this happened to you 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply