cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ads auto-translation sucks! Please let us turn it off!

Hi!

I understand that the world does not always speaks english... it's cool to translate the app but auto-translate the ads is a horrible decision!

My native language is Portuguese but with automatic translation the ads titles are 100% messed up and much more difficult to understand! Even to non-english speaking people!

If you won't believe me, at least let us turn it off! I found out that with automatic translation my search results display less than 20% of the really available items!! It sucks!!!

Maybe you guys don't have the time or resources to do this... maybe there is that guy in a position of power that refuses to accept it but believe me, it seems really straightforward to do and LOTS of sellers and buyers would love it.

Thanks a lot!

Gustavo Parrini 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@gustavoparrini @afonso_loureironospam @torchman72 @gramophone-georg @ekbustad 

We have now added a switch to turn off these translations. If you update your app today and check under settings there should be a translation option.

Thank you

View Best Answer in original post

Message 16 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Right!

That **bleep** automatic translation is 99% misleading and poor, qualifying the items with completely incorrect (and difficult to understand) titles...

Due to this major bug I try not to use the mobile app unless I really need to, and I don't have a PC nearby.

Hope someone gets this and does something useful to let the user choose the translation option.

Thank you.

Arrigo C

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@arri2237

Thank you for the report. Can you let us know your country and language you are getting auto-translated.

Thanks

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Italy, italian language.

Thanks.

AC

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@arri2237

Thank you for the extra details. If you could take a screenshot and explain what is so bad with the translation it would help in the report. Could you email me details iosfeedback@ebay.com and I will make sure this gets looked at.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

NO.   I would not want you to make the translations better.   I have little hope for that anyway.  PLEASE just make them go away!!!!

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@ekbustad

Thank you for the post. If we can get one example of how incorrect they are it will help the investigation. Also can you let me know what language your item titles are being pushed into?

Thanks

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Like I said, just give me the option to turn them off. You reply indicates that you are not listening.

They are being incorrectly translated into some form of English from the original, non-English languages. I am perfectly capable of recognizing the meanings of these original descriptions without eBay's inept translations.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

That is correct! You guys are not listening...

Auto translate is translating product names that should not be translated! I mean it is translating even brands names!

Another example, whan I search for a "range bag" as in a bag to take to the shooting range, it translates to "bolsa alcance" which is a literal translation but completely incorrect! It is happening all over!

There is no hope to auto-translate because it is impossible for it to get the context of what it is translating! It is not like translating a book... on ebay, literal translation is out of context 80% of times!

Please, let us turn it off!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Up...
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@mobile_feedback wrote:

@ekbustad

Thank you for the post. If we can get one example of how incorrect they are it will help the investigation. Also can you let me know what language your item titles are being pushed into?

Thanks

With all due respect, you don't need any poster here to perform this task for you. Simply go to listings that are in any language other than English and the nonsensical English "translation" provided by eBay will not only tell you all you need to know... in most cases it should turn you crimson with embarrassment.

I'm a lifelong German speaker born in the USA. I've taken extensive lessons also in French, Spanish, and Russian, and from the Swedish side of my family I inherited just enough Swedish to get myself in deep trouble.

the problem is that there are colloquialisms and grammatical differences from one language to the next that are simply not mechanically translatable. You'd think that, as international as eBay is, they'd understand this, but no. 

If eBay is absolutely bound and determined to auto- translate things, maybe giving this program to your outsourced CSR reps *might* be a slight improvement, but trying to translate listings by bot is actually an impediment.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Yes, please turn that **bleep** off.

It's annoying and not helpful at all.

I hate it so very much, you won't believe 😉

Thanks

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

In my case, its portuguese. Everything is translated to brazilian - and I live in Portugal.

Please add an option to turn off translations.
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@torchman72 @gustavoparrini @afonso_loureironospam @gramophone-georg @ekbustad 

Thanks for your patience. We are looking into adding a switch so you can pick between the translated and non translated listing titles and descriptions.

Thanks

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Wow, that's fantastic! Thanks for listening and understanding! Great news! 

Message 15 of 19
latest reply