cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update your app before it's too late.

I just got an e-mail with the subject "Update your app before it's too late." from eBay@reply1.ebay dot com.  I forwarded the message to androidhelp@ebay.com and got an automatic reply to come here.  According to the Google Play Store, my app is up to date, so my question is; is this spam? Or is my OS going obsolete?  Android 6.0.1.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

@neffyskills

Thank you for the post. We contacted you via email about this. Your current device is fine but if you have older versions on older devices you should update them.

Thanks

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

I just followed instructions and updated the app on my old Galaxy S5. (I don't update phones or apps until absolutely necessary...)

New app is sooooooooooooooooooooooo ssssssssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww........................................... 😞

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

I got it too.  Apparently I now absolutely must  switch to the inconvenient messed up app that may not even be compatible  with my phone.  Noice!

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

My app on ios 11.0.1 will not work as of a few hours ago. I uninstalled, turned off iPad, reinstalled and it still wont work. Some error about network error and internal error. Using iPad pro 10.5 with newest ebay app from Apple app store.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

The question asked was not answered. Is this a spam or phishing email.
Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Forward it to spoof@ebay.com. They can verify if it's real or not.

Belle
Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Just did a little more sleuthing on this. This email address has been linked with a number of malware infecting emails. If you do get one of these, send it to spoof@ebay.com. Do not open it, and if you do accidentally open it, DO NOT click on any links. Doing so may infect your device.

There is some okay info about how to recognize spoof and phishing emails here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/recognizing-spoof.html

Belle
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

@southernfriedbelle @neffyskills @mmfkbs @gr8music @kim_y_buran

Sorry for the confusion or to set off any alarms. This is an official eBay email. 

If you have any trouble getting your apps to upgrade please let us know and we will look into the issue.

Thank you

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@gr8music

Thanks for the post. The app should be working now.

Thank you

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Okay. Thanks for the info. Sorry if I unintentionally misled anyone. Certainly was not my intent, and have to say I'm embarrassed that I may have inadvertently aided the dissemination of misinformation.

Belle
Message 11 of 31
latest reply

It is. Thank you.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

My brother and I both got the update your app email / message today.  Problem is we "Cant" update the app.   Current app is not compatible with our phones.  (Galaxy S2 / Carrier locked to android 4.1) 

I don't plan on spending hundreds to upgrade to new phones.  Our current phones work fine.  I also don't expect ebay to fix this problem.   I do want to make a point so if ebay is listening it gets heard.  If ebay makes the older version of the app obsolete, the most likely course of action for me is to simply stop using the ebay app.  I'm probably not the only one...

My suggestion.  Either don't remove compatibility for older versions of the app, or make the newer app versions work with android 4.1

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

I'm purposely using the older version and don't want to update. I tried the newer version last year and hated it. Going to hold off until the end.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

As a loyal customer, this is disappointing to hear.

The version I'm using is simple, quick and intuitive. It allows the user to quickly find items they want and list those they wish to sell.

A $10.00 off coupon in exchange for the "new and improved" eBay app yields a poor ROI of my time.

And guess what? The three "What's New?" performance enhancements currently exist in the version I'm using right now.

As a customer, do you think I want to see large "splashy" ads for fashion, cell phones and watches? If I did, I'd go to Overstock.com

The eBay powers that be need to recognize that an intuitive, simple app makes it easy for customers to spend money.

If your app returns to an efficient navigation, I'll install it.

Until then, I'll enjoy the extra space on my mobile device and return to browser-only usage.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply