cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kindle Fire Update not available. Please advise. CE from m2m board

Hi Mobile app team,  I am a volunteer on the Community boards and I am starting to see a lot of questions about the ebay update for Amazon Fire.  I do not have an Amazon Fire but from what I understand it can only use Android apps that are in the Amazon app store which are not up to date.  

Is ebay going to work with amazon on getting the app store updated?    Some comments on amazon say that the amazon fire app is 3 versions behind.   Ebay is saying that they need to update or their version of the app will no longer work.  

Right now all I can do is send them here so as not to flood this board I thought I'd try to find an answer.  

Thanks!  

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 3 of 59
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello everyone

Thank you for the posts about the Kindle Fire app. The new eBay app requires Android OS 4.2 (Jellybean) and higher. If you are unable to update your app due to your operating system version, you may still shop eBay with your mobile browser on your Kindle at eBay.com. 

Thank you

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

While the kindle has an android platform, I am unable to update to the newest version from Google Play.  The kindle does not have an updated version for me to download.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 59
latest reply

Does anyone know how to update Amazon kindle fire tablet with latest eBay app?

Message 2 of 59
latest reply

I have Amazon kindle fire hdx and the new app is on Google play and I can't download it please advise.

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles

Thanks for the post. Can you let us know which board you are on and seeing these posts?

Message 5 of 59
latest reply

I received an email from eBay about updating my app to the current version or it won't work anymore. I have an Amazon Kindle Fire. I read on a previous board that the operating system needs to be Android 4.2 or higher. My device is running Fire OS 4.5.5.2. How can I update to the latest version? Is eBay going to work with Amazon to get the Apps updated for the Fire users? 

Message 6 of 59
latest reply

I just volunteer on here.  I am not ebay employee.  I am trying to get an answer from the android app board ebay employee.

I don't even have a kindle fire so I can't poke around and trouble shoot like I do with the ebay app on my android even though I do not use it for selling.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I am a community board volunteer and not an eBay employee

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

@mobile_feedback   Is it okay if I @ mention you in the posts on the community board because moving posts here takes too long.  

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

Thanks for working on this problem. We need an official response as all Kindle devices will no longer be compatible with ebay app if something doesn't change.

-I honestly think this may be deliberate on Amazon's end because they're a competitor to ebay. I've been using a Kindle Fire HDX for 2 years to list using the ebay app and have never gotten an update to the app. My older android tablet was getting updated every 3 months or so (using the standard android store), the problem is obviously with the Amazon store.

About a year ago ebay changed their policies which forced us to type in a UPC for New items. Unfortunately, the ebay app on the Amazon store never gave me the option to do that- even a year later there is still no place to add the UPC that ebay wants. You can add MPN but for some reason that doesn't count. Some categories have a UPC option but many don't. If I want to list new items with the ebay app on Kindle I have to revise each listing with my PC. This is on top of the other horrendous bugs that have been going on for years with no end in site (I'm talking about the app throwing pictures away, copying photos for no reason, deleting descriptions, resetting titles, taking forever to load photos, crashes, etc).

Message 9 of 59
latest reply

-I honestly think this may be deliberate on Amazon's end because they're a competitor to ebay. I've been using a Kindle Fire HDX for 2 years to list using the ebay app and have never gotten an update to the app. My older android tablet was getting updated every 3 months or so (using the standard android store), the problem is obviously with the Amazon store.

I think you might be right on this one.  Amazon is an ebay competitor so they do not want to update the ebay kindle fire app. Have you tried contacting Amazon to find out if they have plans to update their app store?  I don't have a Kindle Fire so I can't really call and ask them for updates .   

I've never called Amazon so not sure what their customer service is like.  

Message 10 of 59
latest reply

I talked to Amazon today (chat) and they told me it's up to ebay to update their app on various platforms. I guess it could be ebay refusing to update the app for the same reasons I said Amazon may be refusing- the hate goes both ways.

I guess I'll start the year long process of finding an ebay rep that has any idea what I'm talking about. This stuff could probably be easily fixed if we only knew who to contact- I could call a hundred people at ebay and not get anywhere.

Message 11 of 59
latest reply

Try social media then hopefully they will forward your issue to the right dept.   Thanks for letting me know what Amazon said.  

You can contact ebay on social media. Do not give any personal information until an eBay employee contacts you offline:

https://twitter.com/askebay
https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

Message 12 of 59
latest reply

Thanks for all the help, I wish ebay was as willing to help as you are. Sometimes it feels like I have no voice (despite the thousands of dollars worth of fees I pay each year) because ebay's "contact us" options are so lacking- there's no real way to get into contact with the right department. That said, I contacted a helpful rep over the phone (in an unrelated department) and they said they would "pass it on." I also commented on ebay's facebook page, not sure how much good any of that will do.

I will certainly come back here if I hear any good news but odds are that nothing will be done until thousands of Amazon users are kicked off the app when the new ebay policy goes live.

Message 13 of 59
latest reply

I wanted to add some proof that others are also concerned about this issue. Just check out the reviews of the ebay app on the Amazon site, mainly the most recent reviews and the "top rated" review with over 100 likes. Also, the site states that the last time the app was updated was December 4, 2014.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B004SIIBGU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_srt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints...

Message 14 of 59
latest reply

I got a response back from someone on their ebay facebook page, he basically said ebay has no plans on updating their app on the Amazon store. -I'm not sure what authority he has or whether he speaks for the whole company but it's probably the only response we're gonna get.

I did learn that there are workarounds for newer Amazon Fire users (like apk mirror sites) but I doubt you could get the apps to work bug free since the Amazon OS is slightly different than android (even though the Amazon OS is structured around the Android OS). You can try it yourself if your Amazon OS is higher than 5.0 but you need to "allow apps from unknown sources." I couldn't get the ebay app on the mirror sites to work with my 4.5.5.2 OS because it was below the min requirements. Attempt at your own risk.

-Honestly, I think I'm just going to go back to using the internet browser to list things even though it's less efficient for tablet users (I like listing with my tablet because it's a camera and computer in one). The one good thing about using the browser is that I don't get constant bugs while listing like I did with the 3 year old ebay app.

Message 15 of 59
latest reply