cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background Removal Tool FAQ

Using image cleanup and have some questions? Check out the following FAQs to help you out.

WIll this feature work on my device?

This feature only works on eBay iOS and Android native apps. Please make sure to install the latest version of the eBay app (5.41 or newer for iOS; and 5.41 or newer for Android(this requires android 6.0 and higher to install).

Can I use this feature on existing listings or does it only work on new listings?

Image cleanup will work on all listings. 

For new listings, simply upload photos and follow the on-screen prompts or go to the edit photo screen, and tap the image cleanup icon to get started.

Screenshot_20200311-135820.png

Similarly, for existing listings, tap on the photo you want to edit and tap the image cleanup icon to get started.

Why doesn’t the automatic cleanup screen appear every time?

EN6.png

The automatic cleanup only happens for the first uploaded photo to a listing and only when the algorithm feels confident it can remove the background from your image without needing your input.

Even if you do not see an automatic cleanup screen, you can tap on the photo and then the image cleanup icon to remove the background on your own.

What does “framing” my item do?

EN4.png

Each time you use the background removal tool, you will be prompted to frame your item. This allows the algorithm to focus on where your item is in the photo, and helps it provide a better background removal result! 

Please note that framing your item is not the same as cropping the image. Cropping your image can be done in the “Edit photo” screen.

How can I make the touchup more precise?

Whether you are erasing or adding back parts to your image, you can pinch to zoom or use two fingers to pan the image from side to side to focus on the problem areas. By playing around with the zoom level, the touchup will respond differently to the granular areas you are editing. Touch up is a lot more manageable by dragging and releasing your finger from the screen.

Screenshot_20200311-124036.png

Why doesn’t image cleanup work well for my photo?

There are lots of factors affecting the result of your image. The algorithm is constantly learning and we are constantly making improvements. In the meanwhile, here are some things to keep in mind:

• Take well lit photos of your item, avoiding shadows and glares
  • Make sure the item is not in front of a cluttered background with other items or patterned textures
  • Ensure there is sufficient contrast between your item and its background (similarly colored backgrounds make it hard to differentiate between item and background)

If your item is partially transparent or see-thru like a pair of glasses or flower vases, image cleanup will not provide good results. This is an ongoing mystery in the computer vision space that technologists everywhere are figuring out.

I changed my mind, I don’t want to use the cleaned up photo after all. What can I do?

If you haven’t saved the changes while going through the touchup flow to remove the background, you can tap “X” to exit the touchup mode.

However, if you have already saved the changes, you will have to retake the photo or reupload your image to the listing.

Will photos uploaded from desktop also work if I revise the listing on the app?

Yes, as long as it is a photo you’ve uploaded to the listing, you will be able to retrieve it on the app, go through the same process to remove the background.

I don’t want to use image cleanup, can I turn this feature off?

Unfortunately no. It is a regular photo edit feature in the app just like crop and rotate.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

As of Mar. 14, 2020 there is no version 5.41 app available for download to an android device. Techspot download does not work and this app version does not show on Google Play. When is it available for Android? Thanks.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@eaglemesa-nv 

If you are unable to get the latest eBay app from the Google Play Store, try shutting down your device completely. Then restart and make sure you have the latest versions of Google Play Services (20.06.16) and Google Play Store (19.1.27-all):

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/9037938?hl=en

Then try installing the eBay app again.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Thanks much, I'll follow your suggestions and see if that helps.

David

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Nope...Followed all directions & have current Google Play Services, emptied caches etc. all to no avail. There is no update available on Google Play Store of updated Android Version 5.41. My phone has the newer Google Play Store Version 19.2.24-all [0] [PR] 299995719......The mysterious Android V5.41 continues to be elusive! Thanks
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@eaglemesa-nv 

It looks like your android device is on android 5.0 you will need 6.0 and higher to get the 5.41 apps.

We will add this to the FAQ, sorry this was missed.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

For the love of all that is holy, make this feature optional!!!!  I have making new listings streamlined, and this silly prompt(OF WHICH I WILL NEVER USE) adds precious seconds of annoyance to every listing...

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@theantiquelibrary 

Thanks for posting. If you tap Not Now after a few listings this should no longer be popping up.

Thanks

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Please please make this optional with the option of turning it off. When doing many many listings it is frustrating and slows down the process. Many thanks
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Please please please please make this optional. Thanks

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Thank you very much for details. It was very useful.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

joy4kicks
Adventurer

I just revised a few photos and then hit enter and noticed it said a fee would apply! what is the fee and is it per photo?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I tried this mobile app for deleting image background and changing to plain white but was too slow. I need around 50-100 images per day so I need a faster solution. I found this tool that works for me - https://removal.ai/. I hope that helps!

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

You also may bear in mind finding out SixBit. It has a totally affordable choice for former Turbo Lister customers, heapstoolof capabilities and there's a loose trial so you can attempt it and see if it is proper for you.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

This was available on computers and now it isn't.  What gives?  Not fair.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply