cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old photograph – Italian military? Sun helmets?

I have this old photo, circa 1900. It shows military soldiers marching with playing the fife and drums. The signs in the background are not that help as they are hard to read. Are those Italian sun helmets? Any help would be appreciated…it might not even be in Italy.

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 10.40.28 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-02 at 10.40.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-02 at 10.39.56 AM.png

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Photos not clear as you stated, but my first guess would be early 1920's Spainish uniform. Pith helmets were worn by every country from the late 1890 era, might be easier to date by the type of photograph verse year available. Italians and Germans had a tendency to highl decorate their helmets with huge badges and feathers. Going by the band uniforms, looks WWI Spain JMO

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

My guess is that these are pre-WWI French Colonial troops. The chevrons on the lower sleeve was a French thing.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I am fascinated by this postcard. 1900's, yet most of their faces are clean shaven or simple mustaches, no beards. They do not look Northern European either, round lower faces, high gap between nose and lips, full lips, most look dark haired. Western European maybe? (Spain, France, Portugal, etc).

One of the signs looks like it might say cigars, cigarettes. Also another sign has B.C. on it. French Canadian? I am going by the non military objects. The buildings are quite old, I swear that one sign is in English.

Curious to see where it is. I love old photos and films of that era.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

On further research, these are 1890's British soldiers. Did the postcard have any print or writing on the reverse?

Message 5 of 5
latest reply