cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WW2 Glider Pilot Items

My father was a WW2 glider pilot and I have inherited a number of articles, pictures, and records from him. It is now time that I find a new home for them. I have learned that some of them have value and I could use the money. It was recently suggested that I should sell everything as a unit to get the price. I would like other’s opinion on this option. It sure would be easier than selling items individually.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

WW2 Glider Pilot Items

There is some merit to selling such a grouping as a single lot.  I would be best if the lot included supporting material such as original photos of the man in uniform , original army documents detailing his service,  letters , news clippings, etc. to provide provnance for these items being his and being from WWII.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

WW2 Glider Pilot Items

Wow!  I have 100's of photos, some negatives, and even the cameras he used to take them.  I have orginal documentation for much of his flight time, including his glider training in the US.  I have some documentation for his medals and a bunch of ribbon bars (some in pretty bad condition).  The biggest problem is he stayed in the Air Force for 22 years and mixed in with the insignia, medals and ribbons are items that he recieved after the war ended.  For example he recieved two Miltitary Merit awards in the 50' and 60's.  Because I am not knowledgeable about how to identify WWII era items and what came later I can't know  exactly what I have to put it up for sale.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

WW2 Glider Pilot Items

As a collector I can tell you that there is an interest in the group as a whole. The post war items flesh out the story and add provenance. There is a saying buy the item and not the story but in this case advanced collectors will pay a premium for the story. Please don't break the group up if you don't have to, keep it all together.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

WW2 Glider Pilot Items

Thank you.  I have been looking at sold prices for individual items such as Pilot wings and the Air Medal award but I can't even begin to figure out how to establish a value for everything combined.  Any suggestions as to how I should proceed? 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

WW2 Glider Pilot Items

I have scanned all the photo several years ago and stored away the originals. Recently a author has shown interest in using some of the digital files for research and possible publication. Also there are a few pictures that were duplicates made during the war so he could send them to both his mother and my mother. The author I have been in contact with introduced me to another daughter who's father was a buddy of my father and it is apparent that my father and his friends shared photos with each other during the war. I suspected this because the of sizes and quality of the photos indicate that they didn't all come from my father's cameras.

Are any of these issues a problem for a potential buyer of the photographs?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

WW2 Glider Pilot Items

Sounds like a wonderful grouping and I would have to concur that it should all be sold as a single lot. I would however caution that perhaps Ebay isn't your best venue for this material since it appears that everyone wants something for nothing here. Perhaps a reputable auction facility may be worth looking into. As far as the full sized medals go, please look to see if any are engraved with his name on the reverse side and also if any are numbered along the edge. These would demand a premium. Original WWII medals are draped through a slotted brooch and sewn on each side. These also command a premium. Items like wings and such command a premium if marked sterling on the reverse and please do not attempt to clean or polish anything. Original patina is a plus. Please educate yourself with the materials before you make a move. I would hate to see you get ripped off! Also be advised that Ebay prohibits certain awards such as the Purple Heart, Silver Star, and Distinguished Service Crosses even though this material is perfectly legal to sell elswhere. The only thing Illegal would be the Medal of Honor. Good luck buddy.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply