cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with dating of an at least Victorian era shoulder board cypher

After posting to my jewelry group, we have discovered that this piece is a shoulder board cypher. There is hand engraving on the back (almost as if it were cut from a larger piece, perhaps?)

Can anyone offer any insight into a more precise era and possibly country, based on the photos? This is going into my collection, so no hurry.

20170320_182546.jpg20170320_182529.jpg

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I agree it was cut from another "slab"...perhaps a coin....coin silver ?  The alpha-numerics do appear engraved so probably not coin silver. I cannot tell what country it may be from. Nice piece.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thanks! I almost wonder if it had been cut from a serving tray or some other piece that may have been engraved on the back due to the handwritten engraving. The seller tested it at sterling silver, so probably not a coin.

It has intrigued me ever since I received it.

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Sterling silver, with a required purity of at least 92.5%, it’s a bit more valuable than coin silver. Your thought that it was cut from a silver tray makes good sense !

Message 4 of 4
latest reply