Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Buyer wants full refund, but does not want to return item

crafty2gamma
Scout
Last Edited 03:22:55 PM

I have a buyer who is claiming a pair of flip flops is defective.  At first it appeared whe wanted to keep the shoes, so I offered a partial refund.  She wants a full refund & refuses to send the shoes back.  She claims they are useless (which I do not agree with).  She keeps mentioning my seller rating and says she does not want to open a case, as she knows this is detrimental to my seller rating.  She says returning them is too much trouble,  but they can be mailed first class in the original shipping envelope.  How can I resolve this?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was asking for my daughter. 

jesuslovesyou3725
Pathfinder

Re: Buyer wants full refund, but does not want to return item

in reply to Nov 29, 2015 3:44:37 PM
I had the same thing happen to me. I gave partial refund and blocked them from buying from me again. Crooks
awaite223
Rising Star

in reply to Dec 9, 2015 5:22:18 PM
Last Edited 05:26:04 PM

Same issue with a Brand new Coach back, 8 reps,3 resolutions rep,1 Supervisor... lost $205+ because of the Buyer Protection Ebay sided with the Buyer.. Received a filthy, dog and human hair bag back, paint straps, black stains, 4 corner scruff marks, and her store membership card.. Ebay still sided with her even though each step contacted Ebay to see how to go forward before accepting the refund process and such...even though I told Ebay the Buyer received my item and put it up for auction the same day she received it and at a lower price (I have all proof) in the end nothing matter, everything the reps told me to do didn't matter and all pictures and such is useless (their words)... Next time mark it no Refund, but if they say the item doesn't match listing I'm not sure Ebay would honor the no Refund... (Forgot to mention mine was a Baby Bag too) Take the loss and save your time.

They can send you back the item and it could be all damaged like mine and EBAY would still side with the BUYER.. MY Experience!! I appeal and you can too, but in the END they side with BUYER and deduct the funds from your account with out warning!! 

maggietwo_2002
Pathfinder

in reply to Dec 11, 2015 8:00:33 PM
I guess I have been fortunate to get good sellers, bar 1 , checked her ratings too late ! She was obnoxious ! Said dress was 4t and sent an 8t , told me more or less tough ! It fit her 4 yr old ? Just resell it ? HUH ?
I always take photos of damaged packages before I open them , people have sent replacements no bother ! I feel bad for them I really do but I don't think buyer should have to pay return postage for damaged goods.
I am an honest person ! Have made some goofs ! And had to ask them to rescind my bid ! Never had any trouble !
To lump all buyers as dishonest is very unfair !
Sellers always want a good feedback, if I cannot give a good feedback I eave none ! But that has seldom happened , but why do sellers insist on a good feedback and they don't give buyers any ? It gets tiresome ! I try to be nice and send it anyway ! Just what is sellers problem ? I pay Asap ! Buy a lot of buy now, I use Pay Pal as I am afraid of getting another bad seller,
So why cannot they reflect this in my feedback ! My time is important too ! But I still send good feedback !
Now I see all these sarky remarks! If you won't give good feedback don't bid !!
On asking a supposedly knowledgeable EBay employee why I could not get the feedback to work right when I sent it I was told it is just a courtesy ?? More or less don't bother about sending seller one ! I contact seller and apologies ! I have seen my positive 5 star post turn into some 3 or 4 stars when I hit send button ! Not in a long time now ! But made me feel horrible ! And EBay did not care to address this ! Now I have messed up bidding on duplicate item from same seller as one I purchased, but cannot contact her or other seller. YES ! Somehow I was bidding on 3 same ornaments !!
I don't like all the changes on EBay and have just recently returned .....
International sellers, always been very nice and eager to make you happy ! With 7 grandkids I am buying a lot !
Well that's my story !

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Superstar

That is a common ploy of buyers lately. Many buyers have had their ability to use the money back guarantee removed because they used it too much, and are no longer allowed to file claims. If that is the case, the buyer is trying to get help without being able to use the claims process. Another possibility is they have been warned by other members about filing too many claims, and do not want to get placed under that restriction.

Insist that the buyer return the shoes for a full refund, or there will be NO refund. Do not allow them to bully you. If they leave poor feedback, their message could be construed as feedback extortion and removed if you call customer support. Getting something for nothing is not the way to do business here.

mr.el-camino
Adventurer

Re: Buyer wants full refund, but does not want to return...

in reply to Nov 7, 2015 5:54:16 PM
Had that happen to me once . Lost $650 that time.
chrislexia4
Adventurer

in reply to Nov 8, 2015 10:03:52 AM
She can not have money back unless she returns the shoes.
jhe276pak
Enthusiast

in reply to Nov 9, 2015 2:15:14 AM
please my ebay accounts than you will understand my account problem.

in reply to Nov 9, 2015 8:52:12 AM
I sold a very nice watch for $1500.00 + buyer said it was a fake so Ebay gave his money back and never sent my item back to me . Ebay said they destroyed the watch , never saw anything.....
georrive_exxps
Pathfinder

in reply to Nov 10, 2015 12:25:37 AM
Are you paying for the return shipping?
magnetronmagneticpulser
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to Nov 11, 2015 8:23:38 AM
Last Edited 08:26:08 AM

We sold a brand new in box item covered by the original manufacturers warranty for $399.95 MSRP. The day the Buyer received it they contacted us for a refund claiming it didn't work right. We immediately provided a prepaid return shipping label costing $35 and over a month and a half later received a dirty used returned product with damaged and missing packaging, instruction manual, etc, plus the Buyer left a slanderous negative feedback stating we were trying to steal her money selling junk. What we received back from the Buyer was junk, no longer in the condition we sent it to her. Asking for eBay to intervene for Seller Protection in accordance with their Buyer Returns Policy accomplished nothing. Despite providing pictures and a video of what we received returned and showing that the item worked without any problem as falsely claimed, eBay sided with the Buyer's claim (even though they provided no proof), refunded the Buyers money and refused to remove the negative feedback the Buyer left us. eBay Feedback reps told us the feedback was the Buyers 'opinion' and did not qualify for removal. Sooooo Sellers beware....we are no longer selling our products through eBay Auctions due to the lack of Seller Protection against unscrupulous Buyers.

liquidationprofessionals
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to Nov 11, 2015 10:24:58 AM
Last Edited 06:06:08 AM dm_karen

People hold the rating over your head to get free money quite often. I've had a lot of buyers who missed something in the listing decide that it is some home my fault they didn't see it and want money back for that too. ebay really needs to step it up with dealing with these buyers.

bestpricedbooks_usa
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to Nov 11, 2015 11:51:05 PM
Hi, This very week, we had a buyer claim that their item smelled of smoke and they wanted a refund. (3 -4 days after they received the item they changed their mind.)
We wrote them back and told them that the item was stored in a warehouse for more years, had never been around any smoke or anyone who smoked. {This was a very clean, dry environment and item smelled new if any smell at all. This item had never been used, not even any shelf wear because it was in a sealed package. We removed the cellophane just before we wrapped it for shipping just to be sure that all items were in the package. We did not tell the buyer any of this, it would not do any good. Point is WE KNOW. (It was several books with a CD and some other materials)}
She then wrote back and said that it didn't smell of cigarette smoke but that of a fire.?!?! They would not pay for return shipping $5-$6.
I know for sure their was NO odor of any kind with this item.
Anyway, we refunded to save a bad feedback and thank goodness it was only about $20.
I am also glad that over the last 15-16 years, we have had less than 1/2 of 1% of these type of problems. These people do this because they know that they can get away with it. Our feedback is now and always has been 100% and we consider refunding is just part of the price of doing business. We do not have to pay rent or other huge overhead expenses.
Thank goodness, most people are honest. (99%).
Don't sweat this stuff, it will drive you nuts if you let it.
Thank you,
Herman Wolff
dominicus_63
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to Nov 12, 2015 9:23:42 AM
EBAY SUPPORT IS USELESS TO THE SELLER.
sway_2
Pathfinder

in reply to Nov 13, 2015 4:23:40 PM
Not really. It's not exactly useless, it's simply inoperative. I got a 2DIN device not long ago. It came to me faulty. Half the features wouldn't work at all. Took it to a tech: Software was garbage. Took to another one: Same conclusion. I offered to show videos and pictures plus the techs paperwork. Both eBay and PayPal sided with seller, who sold me a piece of junk. According to PayPal and eBay I had to return the item, which I didn't, as the postage was 93$. Seriously??? The seller knew it was garbage and offered me 1/4 of what I paid, so I would stop complaining. True to be told: I felt like an idiot. Attention to this scenario: A seller could just send me a broken expensive item (a $350 laptop, for instance) knowing I wouldn't return it, as it would cost me something around 100$ to post back. PayPal and eBay pretty much just say amen to this.
bestpricedbooks_usa
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to Nov 13, 2015 10:26:52 PM
I believe that it would be well worth it for eBay to have a whole new department that truly investigated all of the claims that are made. Pay pal & eBay could share the cost of this investigative department and it should probably contain employees from both companies. Overall, I believe this would save both eBay & Pay-Pal money and it would surely end up being FAIR more times than not.
The person that is lying knows they are lying and the party that is telling the truth knows they are telling the truth.
There are a LOT of ways to arrive at the TRUTH and I am sure that both eBay & Pay-Pal would arrive at the truth 99% of the time if they would only LOOK FOR IT!!! This way, it would be a more attractive buying & selling venue.
There is a lot of new competition!! Even as well established as eBay is, they could LOSE a LOT of their market share if they do not come up with a NEW, IMPROVED eBay. At the very least, they definitely need a new, revised business plan.
I am a long term seller on eBay and at this point, I am finding other sites desirable for a lot of reasons but the main reason is that eBay seems to always side with the buyer. I think they do this because they use the rule "The customer is ALWAYS right".
Like I said before, less than 1% of the customer base is there to steal. They know they are there to steal and they do this with malice of forethought because they KNOW that they can get away with it.
I must say here & now that for a price, I am available for consultation. Sometimes the customer isn't right, sometimes they are just thieves.
I have been buying & selling for myself & family since I was 5 years old. ( I helped my Mother buy & sell and she taught me well) I have been on my own since I was 18 years old. I am 65 now and I have managed to make a very nice living for 47 years and I have found from the very beginning that "Honesty is the BEST policy."
When I make a mistake, I own up to it right away and apologize & refund, if necessary, even before the customer notices. This has happened very little in my life but it does happen. Every one makes mistakes. No one is perfect. I would NEVER knowingly cheat any body for any thing but there is a very small percentage that does just that.(Steal)
eBay's NEW, IMPROVED Business Model should be "Honesty is the Best Policy" and not "The customer is ALWAYS right".
This business plan I give for free.
I predict that eBay will lose 25% of their market share within 1 year if they do not do something. (They may have already lost that much of the market, I don't know. I do know that within the last 6 months on eBay we have listed more than ever and sold less than ever.
For a fee, I would be glad to help eBay with a new business plan and would GUARANTEE results or it would be FREE.
It's easy to see that eBay needs some unbiased help and fast.
This economy seems to be remaining soft at this time and eBay needs a shot in the arm to propel them into the next decade so they can remain the NUMBER ONE place to shop on the Internet.
Ladies & Gentlemen, you want to go shopping?
Go to eBay!! The fastest, easiest place to shop on Earth.
Thank you,
Herman Wolff
virsilv2014
Enthusiast

in reply to Nov 14, 2015 2:54:50 PM
well if i bought shoes for 10$ and they where faulty and you asked me to send them back i wold tell you **bleep** off i want full refund! i have like 70km to go till closesest post station mybe thats the problem ?

in reply to Nov 14, 2015 4:22:40 PM
Last Edited 09:40:06 AM

virsilv2014...then you wouldn't get a refund nor should you expect one. Think you would get that refund if you purchased from a major store but refused to take the item back or send it back so a refund could be processed. They would tell you "sorry" but you will have to bring the item back for refund or mail it to the address noted on the return receipt for a refund to be processed...AND... they wouldn't use obscene language to tell you so.  Doesn't matter how far you live from a post station, don't you have carrier pickup in your country?   In that case, distance you live from a post station is no excuse. As for weight of item, you can always get the weight off the label of the packaging it came if you were conscientious enough to save it, and print a return label.  In the case of filing damaged item or item not as described in eBay, the seller would supply you with a return label then have your carrier pick it up at your mailbox.

azzan2000
Pathfinder

in reply to Nov 15, 2015 4:42:19 AM
Im having the same problem, 6 weeks after sending him a Mobile phone hes complaining about it.
I told him a week after he received it to send it back but he still hasnt.
My Paypal is over 450 in deficit, and now hes left me negative feedback, my first negative feedback ever.

Not getting much help from Ebay or Paypal. And i have no intentions of clearing that Paypal deficit unless i get the phone back to resel it Reselling it will lose me money as the price is going done every week.
whatcher01
Adventurer

in reply to Nov 16, 2015 8:52:36 AM
I do not agree with the buyer paying for return shipping unless I agree to pay for it! I had a buyer start a case on me for a train and said it was not as described however I insisted that he pay for shipping back since I knew he was lying, the second it hit my mail box ebay sent him a full refund however when I opened the package the buyer had tried to mod the train and broke it so bad it was trash. I called ebay and they did reroute the refund however i was told that ebay doen't like to do that. I know ebay has to be pro buyer to a good part however I would like to remove the seller paying returns to cut back on this type of fraud. For those who think just selecting buyer pays for returns that is only for honest buyers who don't want the item anymore.
kevinn4822
Enthusiast

in reply to Nov 16, 2015 2:50:56 PM
Why do Ebay all ways side with buyers who use International shipping agents? Does the buyer's agent not have any responsibility to deliver packages to their clients in the same good condition that they received them in, from the seller. Check out Deliverers gone Wild on YouTube. In future I am never going to send any items to America again and I will never trust Ebay to be fair and impartial. They could not even explain the logic behind their decision.
limitlander
Adventurer

in reply to Nov 16, 2015 6:08:32 PM
I agree, e-bay doesn't give a hoot about the sellers. in their promotions they state they want to make sure the buyer has a pleasant buying experience. I had a buyer ask for a refund, then said he returned it ( without a ok or tracking number, it never arrived) . I had all my tracking information etc. that the item was sent properly. E-bay sided with the buyer and refunded his money. With the fish lures and a refund of $19.00 I am sure hey had a pleasant buying experience. All the buyer has to do is say something is wrong with the item (true or false) the buyer is stuck with a loss. What would e-bay do if they didn't have any of those worthless dishonest sellers?
wheel42011
Scout

in reply to Nov 17, 2015 6:58:54 AM
EBAY IS WORTHLESS WHEN IT COMES TO HELPING SELLER, I CLEARLY WROTE ITEM NOT RETURNABLE. EBAY ALLOWED THE RETURN, EVEN THOUGH THE BUYER ORDERED THE WRONG PARTS. WE WERE SELLING CAR PARTS ON EBAY AND IT TAKES A LOT OF LABOR TO TAKE THEM OFF, WELL NOT ANYMORE. TWO TIMES THIS HAS HAPPENED WHERE WE LOOSE MONEY AND RECEIVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK, WHEN IT WAS CLEARLY THE BUYERS FAULT. WELL NOT ANYMORE!!
shakerdom
Enthusiast

in reply to Nov 18, 2015 7:13:07 AM
I disagree in certain circumstances. If the buyer has received a useless counterfeit, why should he expend the cost of shipping? I can see sending it to e-Bay, to resolve whether or not the item was counterfeit. But of course e-Bay doesn't want to spend the time and resources to do this. When the defendant is a "big" seller, this leaves buyers unprotected.
Along this line, I find it unreasonable that sellers can have multiple accounts, or open up a new one and thus clear their feedback. Again, buyers are weakened.
Remember when one could always identify sellers or buyers? This died years ago, to protect certain sellers who wanted anonymity.

in reply to Nov 18, 2015 5:26:18 PM
shakerdom...just because the buyer claims it is counterfeit, doesn't mean it is. Buyer might just be fishing for a discount or hope they can get away with getting the real thing for free. Unless the buyer has an authentication from an authorized source.....they can't just say it. Buyers are protected by the eBay MBG and get a free shipping label to return it. The only question in my mind is....if a buyer is crying counterfeit just to return a switched item.....when they really got an authentic one.....eBay will let them get away with it. Shame.
azabeth
Enthusiast

in reply to Nov 18, 2015 6:00:11 PM
I'm sorry this happened. I do want to point out though that it happens to buyers too. I got something not at all what was represented, even provided pictures. I was offered a replacement that never came and now the time has passed so I can't even leave negative feedback. So buyers aren't always protected either.
vintagedragonfly61
Adventurer

in reply to Nov 18, 2015 8:15:36 PM
What ebay needs to remember..... if it wouldn't be for sellers there wouldn't be buyers. I am going through the same thing, buyer wants a partial refund, but doesn't want to send the items back and they threatened to give me a negative feedback if I don't do this. I plan on blocking this buyer so I never have to deal with her again and I will not be bullied, she has one choice, send it back in good condition as she received it and I will refund her.
horsenut43
Adventurer

in reply to Nov 18, 2015 11:23:21 PM
EBay needs to protect the sellers as much as it always protects the buyers .If I ship a never opened never used brand new item and the buyer has an issue the buyer should pay the return shipping fees not the seller I would be happy to and always offer refunds on item but the post office doesn't offer shipping refunds and I sell a lot of items free shipping but all is seller know we can't ship for free we have to lay the post office to ship the item we just absorb the shipping fee on the way out and should have to pay to have it returned if buyer wants a refund they should pay the return shipping fee . EBay need a better protection policy for its sellers because without any sellers there are no buyers without any seller EBay receives no listing fees and no sales fees and no final value fees yet many honest sellers get burned by dishonest buyers . example you have a disagreement or complaint by the buyer yet the seller has been selling on eBay for 8 years with over 3000 transactions all positive feedback would seem to me that seller is pretty honest and reliable yet EBay sides with the buyer and returns them there money and the honest seller gets burned Just saying without the sellers ebaye makes nothing sellers absorb all the cost and get no respect from EBay
djpyecraft
Pathfinder

in reply to Nov 20, 2015 8:25:42 PM
Wow. I just made my first sale. This is pretty scary. If the seller says must return or no free return shipping, the buyer can figure that into the price and live with it. Just beginning to see what its like on the other side of the counter. Keep your chins up and stick to the truth. Thanks for sharing your experience.
iyamme
Enthusiast

in reply to Nov 21, 2015 6:25:34 AM
Buyer claims that he received the shipping package but the item (a musical instrument) was not in the box--only crumpled newspaper. The buyer and I spoke via phone to try to resolve what may have happened. He stated it had been left on his porch for an indeterminate time and he had sick and unable to bring it inside. He asked for a full refund. I know the item was in the box when it was delivered to the USPS for shipment, as I had to pay extra postage, above what Ebay had calculated--the shipping box and packing alone could not have weighed the 17 pounds that the whole package weighed. I contacted Ebay and was told that this incident would be investigated in five days. Then, I noticed that the buyer had provided feedback, stating, "Thanks, Dan. The horn is great!" Uhhh, excuse me, but how could he say that if he had not received the package, opened it, and evaluated its contents??? Why, five days later, would he file for a return and ask for a refund, alleging that the box was empty? It is clear to me that he is either very confused or...well, you get the picture.I am new to selling, and I don't know if a buyer can delete such feedback. I have printed it off so I have a permanent record of his statement. How can I bring this information to the attention of the investigative team, and then get my funds released, and preserve my positive ratings? I can imagine a number of scenarios how someone (a buyer) could honestly make a mistake such as this without being a total scumbag, but this is really a bad experience for my very first attempt to sell something on Ebay. Any thoughts?
summitgirl64
Enthusiast

in reply to Nov 21, 2015 2:18:03 PM
Last Edited 02:21:19 PM

I just posted a new post. Not sure what to do. I'm a new seller. I've been a buyer for a few years and have really good ratings. So far I've sold 4 or 5 items and have good ratings. Until, I sold some perfume. I took it to the post office and was told I couldn't ship it via air. So I shipped(I paid the shipping) via the method USPS instructed, and immediately informed the buyer. She was a little frustrated with me, I profusely apologized. She said no worries. Then about 6 days later I got a scathing e-mail about how I was a moron. Not expected. So I again gave the tracking #, and the screen shot showing on the add posting the shipment could take longer, I am in Seattle she is in FL. Two furthest points. It's been 8 days, she didn't receive it yet and wants a full refund. She's also claiming it's been also a month, it's only been 8 days. I've stated no refunds, but will refund if this seller sends the product back. What should I do? I'm ready to close both accounts on Ebay if this is the treatment I have to put up with, sorry not worth it. I've never ever had to deal with this treatment and to be called a moron really? I'm not a big box store and have to sell things due to loss of job, but I'll continue to sell on Craigslist If I am the one that has to pay, am I within reason? Thanks for any feedback.. taking this quite personally. I've had nothing but good stars from both sides and have never been called a moron!!

in reply to Nov 21, 2015 4:46:50 PM
iyamme...you would not have been responsible for refunding this buyer. The item showed delivered. Also, if your communication was thru eBay messages which it should have been, and the buyer admitted that the box was on his porch for an indeterminate amount of time, it would have been his responsibility to file a police report of an item stolen. The Post Office at this point was off the hook also, as they delivered the box. Strange how 5 days later he left good FB. Wonder what made the buyer come around with his demand. Makes you wonder if it was a scam attempt. Its never a good idea to communicate via phone only...in this instance, use eBay messages to show proof of communication between buyer/seller and what the communication was about. If you do use phone, send a follow up message to the buyer of what was said in your phone conversation so that there is a record of it for eBay to see. Glad it eventually worked out.
marisioy6pmh
Enthusiast

in reply to Nov 24, 2015 7:41:56 AM
que barbaridad en ebay ahora se esta actuando a favor de los vendedores yo pedi un articulo el articulo nunca lo recibi se muestra como entregado pero el articulo no llego a mis manos solo perdidas con ebay el proceso que se utilizaba antes para pedir reembolso era mucho mejor el de ahora es inutil y no benefia en nada al comprador es un fraude
annaeternity
Adventurer

in reply to Nov 24, 2015 7:55:51 PM
Hm... I think I've done this once long ago because the shipping was more expensive than the item itself. I think they probably hid part of the price in an exaggerated shipping hoping that people would overlook it. I was **bleep** because the color and model was completely different and of inferior quality. I felt completely cheated. I guess they knew it because they gave me my money back...

Maybe you can ask for a photo. If they really are broken (but she could do it herself) or different from your photo... I'd probably refund it... My item got lost in the mail and I got a refund... I'll shop with him again though. But if she ordered the wrong size and want to make you pay for her mistake... she doesn't deserve the refund...

But now is the magical question... does the price of the item is worth more to you than one bad feedback? If you have some good ones, I've overlooked really scary ones hoping to be among the lucky ones before. So I guess it's about how much do you want to keep her as a customer. She probably won't buy from you anyway... but if she's a repeat customer and bought a lot many times, I'd give her money back. If she's being a mean unreasonable canine, I'd firmly stay that you have to return items to a store to get a refund and it's the same thing about eBay. She has to pay the shipping the same way she'd have to pay for the bus. A partial refund sounds reasonable, if she refuses... you can tell her that you're not Nike or Apple, you don't have money to spare, you're just some dude making some spare change on the side and it's hard on you too. Maybe she'll understand if you explain her that way and will stop trying to kick you like a vending machine with a candy stuck half way off the roll...

Well, good luck with that... and sorry for neurotic sellers... I know I have offline issues that can make me snap at stupid details sometimes. Low blood sugar turns me into the devil.

Thank you for selling stuff~
suzalst-mi01imrj
Adventurer

in reply to Nov 25, 2015 1:40:31 AM
ebay encourages buyers to open cases against sellers and they will help a buyer get anything they can out of sellers for free... its like ebay is using organized crime tactics against buyers... right now they wont cancel an order that i was unable to fill due to theft...... i refunded the buyer right away and now ebay is saying the order cannot be canceled because i have not refunded the buyer... knowing how ebay plays their little scam games i printed out the refund details and i can prove that i have in fact issued a full refund... they have let 1 buyer get away without sending the item back to me and i had to refund the buyer, so kudos to ebay for helping that buyer scam me and 1 item i did get returned to me looks like the buyer kicked it around in a pile of dirt making it not in any condition to sell... so all i can say is "GOOD LUCK"... i learned the hard way that unless your a big company or overseas ebay hates its sellers

in reply to Nov 25, 2015 6:35:12 PM
For the last year or so, eBay has bitten the hand that feeds them. What a shame. They will never be what they used to be.
pturnbough
Scout

in reply to Nov 25, 2015 9:42:25 PM
Why is it that when you contact ebay about refunds you can get several different answers to the same question. I am so sick of this **bleep** with them screwing the sellers. Don't they know there are screw ball buyers that want anything they can get for free. I have put a few items at the "Ranch" and I may just get a little bit better acquainted with that platform and tell ebay to kiss off after 17 years. They make HUGE profits. As a matter of fact so does Pay Pal. They hire illiterates to answer phones and questions and most of the time they cannot even speak good English. much less have a clue as to what policies are.
sweetielumpkins
Pathfinder

in reply to Nov 27, 2015 3:15:58 AM
I think eBay takes the BOTTOM LINE KNEE JERK REACTION to Refunds and to listing " politically incorrect items ". The eBay answer is: What is cheaper? Satisfying the buyer or the seller? It is CHEAPER for eBay not to deal with a problem by allowing for a refund, and, it is less time consuming too. What is easier? Allowing a listing that is historically correct if it " offends " some nut or just disallowing the listing and removing it. It has nothing to do with who is right and who is wrong. The corporation could care less so long as it doesn't cost them time or money and it keeps the stockholders happy.
livyloustreasures
Enthusiast

in reply to Nov 30, 2015 10:25:57 AM
I have had alot of luck selling on facebook forums and "offer up" and "let go" Smiley Happy I also just try the kill them with kindness method.... Hard sometimes but so far has paid off..... but I always wait to see if the people that are difficult ever list an item for sale.... I will pay whatever... Shoe on the other foot don't fit so good hmmmm???? lol
scentofdivine
Enthusiast

in reply to Nov 30, 2015 1:22:33 PM
EBay didn't even aknowledge my argument that the item DID ship out exactly as was posted. This scammer didn't like something about the bag, so she gets to cut the straps off, destroying the product, then say I sent it damaged??? I even have witnesses who helped me in packaging up these bags who'll swear that it was in brand new condition. EBay sold me out, and is now threatening me with charging me for the bag???? Please - if anyone knows of a "class action suit" = I WANT TO BE A PART OF IT. EBAY IS COMING TO A FAST FINISH.
rolan-toth
Enthusiast

in reply to Dec 1, 2015 3:46:11 PM
we never even received the fish nor a letter from the seller about sending the fish... nothing! I'm not letting this go!!!
creations-by-bec
Rising Star

in reply to Dec 1, 2015 9:11:54 PM
i'm a buyer who got a damaged item. i took pictures and contacted seller. it has turned into a cluster ever since. email after email of being called a liar or being called names. i filed a request for refund and i am waiting for ebay to contact me back. i cant find a place in the resolution area for this request to report new information about the transaction. It just says they will contact me when they reach the seller. so what do you do about the harassment?
amazonianauctions
Adventurer

in reply to Dec 2, 2015 5:01:18 AM
Last Edited 05:03:35 AM

I sell TV parts, am a certified tech 37 yrs, all parts are tested by me or one of our tech, none w less than 10yrs + exp, I get comments like "I went on YouTube and they showed us we need a Main Board for our issue" then they open a return " item defective" I call (when possible)and Dio there issue for FREE over the phone, its the T-Con board afterwards, I call ebay explain the true return reason and they don't care, its still a Bad Mark on my ratings. WOW talk about me going above and fixing the issue, even after 2 hrs of time, talking and correcting there issue and sometimes sending the correct part I still get no support. If there are any other sellers in the same scenario help me understand or defend myself.

James John

m_cdtch_otrwmj
Enthusiast

in reply to Dec 2, 2015 2:50:56 PM
As a buyer, I would never ask for a refund without offering to return the merchandise But if they never send a label for me to use, how can I return it?? I'd pay for the return postage. Recently I received three items I paid for not long ago--one was broken as it was put in the package at their end as they put it in a plastic bag way to small for the piece. The other item look nothing like the murano beads shown. They were painted and the paint was terribly smeared and cannot be used. The other item, which I had bid on, was not included and I never received. The other day I received what was supposed to be 50 big hole silver spacers from a seller I had bought from before. When I got them, they were way too small to use with European snake chain bracelets (925) and there were only 44--22 in each bag. Again, I said I'd return to them in exchange for the right size. They refunded my money and never mentioned sending a return address label so I could return to them--I would have paid for the return postage. Now I have a list of sellers NOT TO BUY from anymore and it grows bigger every day. BTW I only put together bracelets for my family members for gifts--I'm not making them for profit.
munilsson
Rising Star

in reply to Dec 3, 2015 12:41:25 AM
Ebay is not perfect as people are not perfect. But eBay is one of the best, if not best places to sell and buy things. Besides selling first rate stuff and a fair market price. It often turns junk into treasure for both buyer and seller. There will always be bad buyers and bad sellers. Overall Ebay does a great job of weeding things out.
The idea to have an eBay investigative department and/or expand their customer service base is a good idea as there are people who do things just because they now they can get away with it and it would be great if eBay can better vet those people out. Both sellers and buyers. My recommendation is to do best not to sweat it, it will drive you nuts if you let it. And if it's truly a bad sue the person. I have done that and won on several occasion. Truth should and will prevail when a judge hears the case.
Mike
so_rare
Adventurer

in reply to Dec 3, 2015 2:53:21 PM
I wish I had known about this seller's post. The item was obviously used and completely misdescccribed. The seller's communications were so abusive I thought of forwarding them to ebay, but decided to let it go. Surely you must hear both sides of the story. The problem is that abusive private sellers are driving buyers to big sellers - who did my best to avoid for years because I believed ebay was for little guys.
I have been on ebay as a buyer and seller for 18 years, and I have had an unblemished record. Buying on ebay has changed dramatical;ly in the past few years, and I have become a little more insistent about a fair outcome.
unique_boutiquz
Enthusiast

in reply to Dec 7, 2015 5:53:34 AM
I stopped selling on eBay years ago when ebay shifted their policies to make it incredibly easy for buyers to scam sellers. Plus the selling fees are insanely high. I've been selling everything local on craigslist just as successfully with no fees and cash only deals. I had an item recently I couldn't seem to get rid of on craigslist so I listed it on ebay. I don't know what I was thinking. The buyer immediately upon making the purchase asked for a refund. Of course I had already pulled the funds from paypal and into my bank account before I did the refund. The next day a check was cut from my checking account to the seller. Luckily I happened to have had enough money to cover that or else I would have been charged fees from my bank. Now I have a bill for 85.00 from eBay for seller fees from that one item. **bleep**>
advanceamusments
Adventurer

in reply to Dec 7, 2015 9:02:07 PM
Welcome to Ebay, No seller protection at all anymore. They could have sent you a empty box back on your return tag paid shipping and Ebay would back them, Worse yet Paypal claims can go back 6 months so you can get double screwed. Welcome to Ebay. They just want to sell new stuff from China here now and completely lost the start of fleabay what made them.
backnblacksack
Adventurer

in reply to Dec 8, 2015 12:14:57 PM
i'm out $40 on shipping due to using ebay's shipping calculator option. The buyer made the purchase and the ebay system calculated the shipping as $21... so that is what the buyer sent along with payment at the end of the auction but when I took it to the post office the minimum shipping charge (using sssslow ground shipping) was $45! i had to eat the $24 difference.....well with the overage on shipping and ebay and paypal fees I lost $4 on the entire sale!!!!! not 1 cent made but $$ lost!!!! unbelievable! Same thing happened with the other item i had listed but the overage was ONLY (lol) $16 outta my pocket. Sellers are undervalued for sure....without us they would have nothing. Do NOT use the ebay shipping calculator as method of calculating the amount to collect from the buyer.
thlms123
Enthusiast

in reply to Dec 8, 2015 6:42:03 PM
Well I have had some interesting reading on this site as I contemplate becoming a seller just to rid my house of some very nice inventory. Certainly an eye opener. Just so you know, from the buyers side, we do face some of the same challenges, I am still waiting for a refund that will never come from a seller - DealZone who sent me a dress that looked like a rat got to it and the center was chewed away. I returned that item with 2 blouses that were just too small for me using my own paid postage, had a great email chat with them and they seemed very accommodating but once I sent the items back, they never responded again. I sent multiple emails requesting that they refund what was discussed and/or at the very least respond and nada. Unfortunately, I didn't know there was a limit on how long you could get Ebay support so I am out of about $75. to a seller who just decided to take advantage. You cannot even comment on them once you initiate a return so kudos to them for knowing how to beat the system and steal from their customers. I just don't understand people who purposely are out to take advantage of anyone they can. Karma is all I can say.
tonylumps
Enthusiast

in reply to Dec 10, 2015 2:43:29 AM
Maybe I am nuts. But all of the goof balls out there i only sell local pickup and CL .I live in a Metro area and drop my price .This is not my living selling on eBay So I do not need the Bull S with these scammers
eli_peters
Pathfinder

in reply to Dec 10, 2015 6:14:07 PM
@thims123 don't sell on ebay, try selling on your local facebook group (Buy swap sell). ebay is for big business now and those that do 1000's of trades. Ebay will take a profit from your items whether you sell them or not.

As a buyer who has recently received a $230 USD electrical item that is not rated for my country the process of return has been difficult. I wish I had some of you sellers as mine has been really difficult often replying back on the deadline day and refuses to pay for return shipping. The sellers meager offer of a $50 refund in return for a positive comment is now looking good. It's going to cost me around $75 to return and the anxiety of "will the seller deny having received the item?". If I keep the item it will cost me another $250 to purchase a transformer to get it working - if it does work at all!
mccon_john
Enthusiast

in reply to Dec 11, 2015 9:23:50 AM
Will E-Bay post an answer to all these posts, they really should. I was going to jump in and start selling, now I am not sure. You all got me a little gun shy.
fah61424
Adventurer

in reply to Dec 11, 2015 10:44:10 AM
Wow. I am only a buyer on Ebay. I have thought about selling some things. I think after reading these posts that I don't want to ever become a seller.
keybear2
Adventurer

in reply to Dec 13, 2015 4:53:02 PM

AFTER BUYING AND SELLING A LOT NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE PAY/PAL FOR ANYTHING .

Answers (16)

Answers (16)

Rockstar

Don't be afraid to respond in a way that sound like you're kind of dumb.  I do this all the time when I get a buyer who wants to bully me.

I just keep repeating the same thing over and over in the same way and don't argue with them.

So in your case, I would just repeat the original options I gave the buyer.

personally, I wouldn't want the flip flops back as they won't be resellable but if the buyer wants a partial then they're not as defective as claimed and if the buyer doesn't want to return them then that tells you right there what the game is.

Just repeat your offer as if they didn't hear you the first, second or third time.  Don't say NO or WELL FINE THEN OPEN A CASE or anything that indicates that you recognize they're trying to bully you.  Just keep repeating what you originally offered. 

Eventually buyers like that figure the seller is hopelessly stupid and give up.

Ex Policy Monkey now just another addlepated poster who can't find or explain a gosh darned thing
gmaccessoryzone
Adventurer

I had the same experience.  Seams Ebay tolerates extortion and does nothing to protect honest sellers.  

crafty2gamma wrote:

I have a buyer who is claiming a pair of flip flops is defective.  At first it appeared whe wanted to keep the shoes, so I offered a partial refund.  She wants a full refund & refuses to send the shoes back.  She claims they are useless (which I do not agree with).  She keeps mentioning my seller rating and says she does not want to open a case, as she knows this is detrimental to my seller rating.  She says returning them is too much trouble,  but they can be mailed first class in the original shipping envelope.  How can I resolve this?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was asking for my daughter. 

Ebay will only step in when you generate some big money for them.  In my option Ebay will lose when all sellers have some negative feedback and the buyers aren’t confident to buy from you anymore and they go to Amazon for their items.

I would not give the buyer the refund. That is absolutely ridiculous and totally unreasonable. Has this buyer shown you any photos of these supposed defects? I would give eBay a call and let them know what's happening for sure because you as a seller are protected as well. I sell on here myself and there is no way I'd put up with that. It sounds to me like she's just trying to rip you off just to get her money back, and that's not right. I just sold a pair of boots to a buyer. I accidentally made an error in the sizing and despite I do not accept returns, I was willing to accomodate the buyer. Now I have not heard from this buyer in 3 days after she was jumping all over me for 2 days and she's only got a feedback score of 1. I called eBay and they said if she would decide to open a case against me that I can file an appeal and I would most likely win the case since the buyer because I did try to communicate and accomodate her. In future listings I'm going to do what I had done in the past with buyers that have a score of 15 or less they must contact me forst before bidding or buying or the purchase will be cancelled. I've noticed a lot of sellers have this in their listings more and more because of putting up with buyers nonsense like this. I would just suggest calling eBay ASAP and making them aware of this issue because to me this just sounds like buyers remorse. Us sellers are only human and some of these buyers are just getting ridiculous on here making it bad for us with this kind of nonsense.

tactiletreasure
Enthusiast

I am sorry that this is even online, or that I am even responding. But any sort of 'full' or'partial' refund means that the product needs to be returned. Usefully for repairs or whatever. You, as a buyer, cannot have it both ways - money and product back? Nope.

rx7onthehill
Rising Star
Last Edited 01:56:08 PM by Moderator

Let her know that when you receive the shoes she will be refunded the purchase price and initial shipping (return shipping cost refunded at your discretion) . Keeping them and getting a full refund is not how life works. I get one of these every once in awhile. We as sellers get screwed by ebay in these circumstances, no recourse for us, so just tell her to do what is right, return the merchandise and get a refund! 

irishjt
Pathfinder
Last Edited 01:55:05 PM by Moderator

WITH THE LARGE ITEMS GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT AND FILE A CLAIM THEY HAVE TO APPEAR IN YOUR STATE IF THEY DON'T SHOW UP AFTER 3 TIMES THEY RULE IN YOUR FAVOR ---  WHAT I DO NOW IS AS SOON AS I SELL SOMETHING I TKAE ALL THE MONEY OUT OF PAY PAL AND I GIVE 10.00 AUTHO ON MY CREDIT CARD --- PAY PAL AND EBAY WILL GO IN AND JUST TAKE THE MONEY OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT SO LEAVE NOTHING FOR THEM

awaite223
Rising Star

in reply to Dec 9, 2015 5:32:15 PM
Thank you for this advice, I am about to consider this option for my recent case. Have you done this process before and if so can you share your experience and steps. Thank you.
Last Edited 02:24:13 PM by Moderator

IT WON'T AFFECT YOUR SELLER RATING. NO BUYER IS ENTITLED TO A FULL REFUND W/O RETURNING THE ITEM. ..ANYTHING DETRIMENTAL THEY POST CAN BE EASILY REMOVED BY YOU ESCALATING THE ISSUE TO EBAY

iselemaine
Pathfinder

Through ebay you can send her a paid postage return label and get your item back. Just ask ebay and they can help with this. 

nickbinsb
Adventurer

I had a buyer abroad say that the item was not as described, but I could not ask him to return it because shipping back from Europe is super expensive! Beware!!

tarbucky
Adventurer
Last Edited 02:07:15 PM by Moderator

Politely tell her you will be glad to refund as soon as you get them back.  Make sure they are in the same condition in which they were received and please package in original packing materials so no damage occurs.  Damaged items do not receive a full refund.  Also mention how much it should cost her to ship and that you will not refund more than that, if you find the slippers are actually defective.  You'll probably not get them back and she'll give up, eventually.

Threatening you with bad feedback or negative ratings is against ebay policy and you can report here if she gets carried away enough.  Do not let her get away with it.  She just wants free product. 

awaite223
Rising Star

in reply to Dec 9, 2015 5:35:16 PM
Doesn't matter of the condition.. unfortunately all photos and proof does not have Ebay be in your favor. My situation I even have proof of the Buyer selling the item they received from me the same day up for auction on their site, all Ebay said was report the Buyer and yes the listing is gone, but when I got her Filthy Bag back in unsalable condition Ebay still sided with Buyer.
Rockstar

You sold the last pair of shoes 5/2. When were they delivered? The buyer is probably outside the money back guarantee window. So insist on return for a full refund.

stnangel1
Pathfinder

CALL Ebay. They will get involved and assist you. I have had many good experiences with their customer service.

awaite223
Rising Star

in reply to Dec 9, 2015 5:30:16 PM
No they won't they will give you all the round about thinking that you are helped but in the end the resolution department will still side with the Buyer, even if a supervisor overrides the decision.
Rockstar

If the buyer opens a dispute or request, reply w/ return for refund. You will get a defect when the SNAD is opened. Know that you will pay for the return of the sandals if you stick to "return for refund". If the buyer has been communicating via outside email; insist that the buyer use the ebay message system. If you have the previous messages from the buyer in ebay's system; and there is an overt threat regarding the standing of your account or fb if you don't do as she wants, report the buyer.

IMO, the shoes are either defective, or they aren't. I don't see any middle ground where "defective" flip flops wouldn't be a total loss. If they really are defective, you might as well refund.

blessingsandthings
Adventurer

I''M SORRY YOU HAD THIS EXPERIENCE, EBAY IS USUALLY A GREAT PLACE FOR BUYER AND SELLERS TO TRADE! My understanding is it deppends how sale post was posted in return requirements. If it stated return within so many days in original packing etc, it does not matter if the buyer thinks shoes are useful or not. If he/she wants refund, they must return. Also, as buyers can report unscrupulous sellers, SO CAN SELLERS! If enough SELLERS report an individual it gives Ebay the tool they need to establish a buyers poor faith return patterns.

I am just an individual that buys and sells on Ebay. Ebay has always come through for me as a buyer, and only once failed me as a seller. Good fortune smiled on me in that Ebay and PayPal both denied my claim of overcharge of about $75.00, BUT the SELLER was honest enough to research transaction and refund me my over-charge! Everything works out, Ebay did not intentionally try to cheat me, they just did not research the situation as effectively as Thank God the seller did!

Wish you all good will, Blessings to you and yours! Ann

amidsummernightseve
Pathfinder

It does sound like she is working the system. But what may not be immediately obvious to those who are able to leave the house to do their shopping and do not depend completely on online purchases is how much trouble it is to return even 1/10 of your overall packages. However in most cases one should compromise and that said, it seems very interesting that such a simple piece of equipment as flip flops could be defective...

Superstar
If the buyer recieved the shoes more than 30 days ago, they cannot win an ebay case and feedback will be removed if they file a case. Hopefully if they follow through with their threats, they go through ebay and not PayPal!
**Formerly known as MissJen316**