cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE! Craigslist EBay buyer protection is a huge scam

Dear Ebay Community,

So i am a 21 year old looking to buy my first car.

I went in and shopped on Craiglist for a good car, i managed to find a very good locking car, managed to find "2008 Honda Accord EX-L, 3.5L engine, V6, AUTOMATIC, VIN 1HGCP36808A012468. Clear title, no lien. Runs and drives excellent. It has been extremely well maintained with a full service history, Only 67,390 miles!" This was part of her message to me on information of the car, which was listed at the price of $2000.

Something was up, was too good to be true.

I emailed her to mail me further information about the car. She said she was in the military and she was away, and didnt need the car anymore so she needed to get rid of it. It was also her main priority to sell the car ASAP. I followed along, as in for some reason i thought it was legit.  we started conversating, she then told me that the EBay would give me a protection plan, This had me sketchy cause EBay doesn't cover

this agreement outside of EBay isn't that true? I also got the invoice.

I did give her my Mothers name, my adress and phone number because i went in further into actually holding it in into getting the car.

she then told me to put all my money in PayPal CashCards said that each card can only hold up to $500, that i was supposed to get four to maintain the $2000 amount.

but i started looking up if its legit, then i called EBay and they have a notice of Scamming, as of Craiglist and other webisites trying to use EBays Agreement and Protection program.

I am extremely dissapointed, i was so excited for a couple days that my first car would be a true wonder and only noticing its a harsh scam. Also no i didnt send the money, i managed to stop a day before, cause the day after i was going to withdraw my $2000 savings that i've worked so hard for and lose it to some mediocre scammers. EBay should do something about this, i understand they warn people but there is some who are low experienced in technology to know this. Theres people who work so hard for their money to lose instantly in fault of those who use fake bs to get on peoples heads. Be careful people, careful of what you shop for, if its not nearby don't bother trying to get the car. It's bull**bleep** all around and people use their intelligence for the wrong terms. For those who have suffered through this, My sincecere apologies, it must be harsh to lose something  huge on something small.

Also i made my sister email her, and she replied the same way, the car was just too great for this price.

Anyways thanks for your taking your time, hope you guys learn about this!

Here is the conversation we were having:

Me: So I found a 2008 Honda Accord you had for sale. Can you give me further information on the car please? Thank you.

Her: 

Hello,

Thanks for replying to my ad. I have made an album for the car: (the link is listed at the bottom of this forum!)

This is a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L, 3.5L engine, V6, AUTOMATIC, VIN 1HGCP36808A012468. Clear title, no lien. Runs and drives excellent. It has been extremely well maintained with a full service history, Only 67,390 miles!

It has no leaks or drips, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions with a clear title free of encumbrances and liens. I bought it when I was serving in Pittsburgh IAP Air Force Base in PA and now I am deployed in Powidz air base in Poland due to Ukrainian crisis for a 1 year period, so I don't need it anymore at this time. The car will be delivered from PA, US.

All you have to pay will be $2,000 US Dollars, I will be responsible for shipping! If you’re interested to conclude this purchase in a timely manner please email me your:

Full Name, Shipping address and phone number, to open a case with eBay Motors. They will contact you to explain the entire procedure. The financial part will be managed by them, which means that you will have a 5 days inspection period before committing to buy the car. In this way both, buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction. A refund policy is included. The deal will go strictly according to eBay rules and policy. There are no other costs for you on this transaction through eBay.

Any question, please ask me.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Maj. Rachel Staples

Me:Hello thank you for the further information. Couple questions as well. Is the registration in order?
And all I have to pay is $2000?

Her:

Hello,

Yes, the title is clear, no lien. It is registered in PA until december this year and yes, $2,000 is all you have to pay. beside of that, If you don't like the car or don't want to buy it, I will be responsible for shipping back. As you may know we can ship a car from home to the base and back, one time in a year for free. You will receive the car along with the clear title signed by me, a bill of sale, two remote keys and one service key.

Please take a few moments and read my email carefully, I know it is long, but I will explain all the details about the car and the transaction. As I've told you, at this moment I am in Poland in an Air Force Base. I do a special training program with our European fellowship each day.

The car is already at our Military Logistic Department in Pittsburgh AFB, in PA, ready to go. The Logistic Department will deliver the car to your home. The shipping is free for you. Shipping may take anywhere between 2 to 3 business days depending on the destination. All documents you need for ownership, manuals and bill of sale will be provided along with the car .

For the payment I would like to use eBay for our safety. You won't have to send me any money directly. They will keep your money into a protection account until you get the car and will release it to me after inspection period is over and you agree to keep the car. So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see the car before committing to buy and to eliminate any concerns you will have 5 days to inspect the car . If you decide not to keep it eBay Motors will refund you the money, no questions asked, and shipping back will be my concern. I think this is more than fair for both of us.

I'll start the official procedure, and eBay Payments will contact you about this. If you are interested in buying it just mail me back with:

- Your Full Name - Required by eBay (You'll receive important guidelines + instructions from them.)
- Your Shipping Address and Phone Number - Required by the Logistic Department (They will call you with delivery instructions 1 day ahead so you can communicate what time schedule work best for your to receive the car)

Again I want to point out that this sale is my top priority and I am looking for a fast transaction, with no delays. That is why I decided to lower the price, to avoid wasting time with negotiations and find a buyer as soon as possible.

Thank you again.
Rachel Staples

Me: I wasn't sure If you received my mail so I will send it again.
My name is -------------------------
My Andress is ---------------------
Phone number is ------------------
And also when will I be sending the money to Ebay?

But yes I am very interested in the car and I am willing to buy it 🙂

Her:

The info that I requested was all I need. I'll prepare the shipping and then contact eBay to start the transaction between us. From what I know in maximum 2,3 hours from the moment I start the transaction they will contact you by email and let you know all the transaction terms.
Keep me update with any news from eBay.

Thank you for your cooperation!
Rachel

Me:Awesome, thank you very much for everything. I gladly appreciate it!

Her:

Hi,

I received a copy of our transaction from eBay. Can you tell me if you have it also?
If you didn't receive the transaction details yet, just check the spam mail folder too. It happens to me occasionally to receive my emails in the spam folder.
Thank you again for the great cooperation and please keep me updated.

Regards,
Rachel

Me: Yes I received it, I was at church so I couldn't respond sooner. But I got it!

So just to clarify on the paying I can't pay directly through PayPal right?

I'm just a little confused on the paying part.

Her: So, from what I understood, for security reasons they do not accept online payments for international ebay motors transaction and for that you need to go at the store that you have in the invoice with cash and buy 4 Paypal My Cash cards and load them with cash. For your purchase you need to 4 paypal my cash cards and upload them at the cashier ($500 each) so the total will be $2000. After you bought them please send to eBay, Paypal My Cash codes in order for them to verify the payment. You will have to scratch off the Paypal My Cash cards to get the numbers. Let me know when you will send it so I can arrange the shipping.
Thank you again.
Rachel.

Me: Okay awesome, also one thing since today is Sunday and my bank isn't open, ATM can only give me $300 max, but tomorrow I can personally go to the bank and cash out my $2000 and I'll add it to PayPal Cash Cards. If it's fine tomorrow I will arrange the payment.

Her: Sure, no problem!
Please keep me updated tomorrow and keep in mind that the car will be shipped on Tuesday morning.
Thank you.
Rachel.

Me: Yes I will let you know. Thank you for your service and your cooperation. Tomorrow I till notify you when I have made the payment. Thank you and take care!

Her:Thank you!
Rachel.

So this is it, when i re-read it, it makes sense that all this time i wasted was for nothing. Sucks but now i know! and a good lesson learned, watch it fellows don't want it to happen to any of you either!

Also, here is some pictures about the album she "made" of this car.

https://picasaweb.google.com/picasaweb3/2008HondaAccordEXL?authkey=Gv1sRgCIff2sjYsN7_5QE

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Good for you in not believing this scam.

eBay has nothing to do with any payments, let alone a payment for a car listed on Craigslist.

There are warnings ALL OVER Craigslist about this scam.

Never send CASH to a total stranger.

Never purchase a vehicle you have not personally inspected and can pay with a cashier's

check when you pick it up.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Most of us are very familiar with this common scam... and there's plenty just like 'em out there.