cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

Around the camp fire you usually just sit and enjoy, roast marshmellows, have coffee or something stronger and sit and chat. So, pull up a stool, bench or lawn chair and sit a spell.
Message 1 of 1,747
latest reply
1,746 REPLIES 1,746

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

Thanksgiving this year was lovely. We started a new tradition and went out to eat. I really enjoyed that as I did not have to cook, serve or clean up afterwards. Now that Thanksgiving is over, how many of you went shopping on Black Friday?
Message 2 of 1,747
latest reply

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

Not I, that's for sure. I'm making all my gifts this year. Enough with the consumer stuff. I've done my shopping and crowds are not my thing. We usually camp but too many of us couldn't go so our group cancelled our usual 4-day campout. I sure miss it. I've been working extra hours at another part-time job I have and it's nuts watching the people in the store. It sure died fast, though, as the next day (after Black Friday), the store was back to somewhat normal. I went to my son and daughter-in-law's for a quick dinner, then back home to work on ripping out carpeting so I can start working on my sewing room. Glad to hear you folks had a great Thanksgiving. That's the best way to spend it....next to a campfire, etc. I'm in Ventura County and we are always on fire watch. I could see the smoke from the Malibu fires constantly...so sad. taz -- At Addicted to Hemp, we do embroidery, sublimation, quilting, painting, and sewing with natural fabrics such as hemp, tencel, silk, and cotton. We even dabble in a bit of leather now and then!
At Addicted to Hemp, we do embroidery, sublimation, quilting, painting, sewing, and upholstery with natural fabrics such as hemp, tencel, silk, and cotton. We even dabble in a bit of leather now and then!
Message 3 of 1,747
latest reply

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

We are staying home this winter because we need to work on a rebuild on our house and I want to buy a newer RV next summer. Figured if I endured the cold this year I could save $5,000 towards new RV. With the price of gas, maybe I'll save $10,000!!! If it keeps going up it certainly will hurt the retired RVer's. Can't pay those prices on a "broken income" (nothing fixed about social security). I am already regretting staying here in the cold (Michigan) as it really does not help the arthritus. How nice to have a sewing room. My machine is being repaired and I miss it terribley.
Message 4 of 1,747
latest reply

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

I don't know what brand of machine you have but we have a sale going on now with Singers. I work in a Viking Sewing Gallery store (inside a Joanns) and, although the Singers aren't up there with the Viking machines), I would recommend some of the upper level Singers. The Touch N Sew are very nice and would give you another machine. I have several machines (a Singer included) and some are back ups. Stay warm. How exciting to be looking forward to a new RV! Cheers! taz -- At Addicted to Hemp, we do embroidery, sublimation, quilting, painting, and sewing with natural fabrics such as hemp, tencel, silk, and cotton. We even dabble in a bit of leather now and then!
At Addicted to Hemp, we do embroidery, sublimation, quilting, painting, sewing, and upholstery with natural fabrics such as hemp, tencel, silk, and cotton. We even dabble in a bit of leather now and then!
Message 5 of 1,747
latest reply

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

Not N.E.W, but newer. Right now we have a 1985 31' Allegro. We replaced everything except the shell. Now I would like a 36' with a slide. My machine is a Janome and I got it back today.
Message 6 of 1,747
latest reply

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

Heck of a nice machine, too! Glad you got it back! Wow. I could drive my poor little Tundra into your Allegro. A 36' with a slide would be roomy heaven, wouldn't it? How's the weather holding up where you are? -- At Addicted to Hemp, we do embroidery, sublimation, quilting, painting, and sewing with natural fabrics such as hemp, tencel, silk, and cotton. We even dabble in a bit of leather now and then!
Message 7 of 1,747
latest reply

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

We got 2" of snow last night! This winter has come very early and very hard. Of course THIS would be the winter we decide to stay home. I am already regreting it with my arthritus. Do you have a trailer or a 5th wheel? I want the extra room because we go for 3 to 4 months at a time. It was fine when we moved every 3rd day, but when we sit for even a week, I want the extra room.
Message 8 of 1,747
latest reply

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

Hi I sew too. With singer machines. I have to ask. When you go on long trips do you ever take your projects with you? We have a 30 ft Hurricane and not much room. I hate to be in the middle of making something and have to leave it you know. Sherrie
Message 9 of 1,747
latest reply

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

Sherrie, I ALWAYS take my machine. It is a little difficult to use a picnic table to cut out patterns, but with care, it can be done. If I am in the middle of a project and I think we will use it or I can mail it to a grandchild, yes I take it with me and finish it in the RV. We have a 31' 1985 Allegro motorhome. I place my machine on the floor behind one of the livingroom chairs. It rides there safely and then I just pull it out, plug it in and put it on top of the cocktail table between the two chairs and that is where I sew. That is also where I use my computer (when we are parked). I only use the built in desk in the dash (my husband built it for me) when we are traveling. I do try to limit my sewing supplies but I have been known to take a 1' sq zip lock bag full. I fit it under the bed with a lot of other stuff. I figure he takes his tools, I take mine. Works well for both of us. Claudia
Message 10 of 1,747
latest reply

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

The closest snow comes around where I am is the Grapevine - a section of the 5 freeway going north. It's always on the news as it is a major thoroughfare for the 18 wheelers as they travel into the valley and northern California. If I were on the road longer and not out just for weekend jaunts (I teach high school and college classes during the weeks and summer) then I'd have to take my sewing machine - at least one of them. Right now, I'm trying to design a section of the trailer for some equipment. I have the short toy hauler - regular, not 5th wheel - and took out the couch and one of the drop-down seats for the kitchen table. I'm tempted to take the other one out as it's just as easy to take aluminum camping chairs to sit in. There's a lot of room I have in that trailer than you folks have in yours as my kitchen and bathroom are at the head of the trailer and the back is empty to haul 'toys' - I probably could have a little Chevy Geo park inside of the trailer. What is it you folks like to sew? taz -- At Addicted to Hemp, we do embroidery, sublimation, quilting, painting, and sewing with natural fabrics such as hemp, tencel, silk, and cotton. We even dabble in a bit of leather now and then!
Message 11 of 1,747
latest reply

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

I sew shirts for my husband and doll clothes for two grand daughters with matching outfits for them. I sew curtains, drapes, bed spreads, dust ruffles, slip covers and anything else that will save me money or allow me to have something 10 times nicer than I can afford to purchase. I made beautiful twice embroidered towels for guest bathroom (took me a week to attach the lace to 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels & 2 washcloths). The twice embroidered lace was 13" wide. I picked it up at a yard sale on some curtains someone made. I paid $1.00 for the curtains. Of course, all I wanted was the lace (runs $30 a yard here).
Message 12 of 1,747
latest reply

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

Thanks girls. So I wont be crazy taking my machine with me. lol I mainly make little girls clothing and sell thim on ebay. Lately I haven't had time to sew at all and I miss it so much! Taking care of the inlaw has become a full time job. When summer comes may have to figure out where to put them in the motor home! lol Sherrie
Message 13 of 1,747
latest reply

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

I'm going to start working on a certificate to be a Master Upholsterer so I can expand my business. It should be great fun but it will take some time. I don't know if I'll take it to doing car seats and all, but it will involve sewing. :D Life is one great adventure after another, isn't it? Very smart idea about the lace. Around here, most things like that are gobbled up by eBayers. Heck, in the thrift stores, there have been couples who will work with one at home on the computer and the other in the thrift store with the phone and its camera, taking pictures and sending them back to the person at home to check on whether or not it's valuable. People have been known to bother folks who are having yard sales here very early in the morning. I sure wish I was sitting around a campfire right now. I miss camping! Dang! It's getting cold, too, although I have nothing to complain about with you two sitting in colder climes! -- At Addicted to Hemp, we do embroidery, sublimation, quilting, painting, and sewing with natural fabrics such as hemp, tencel, silk, and cotton. We even dabble in a bit of leather now and then!
Message 14 of 1,747
latest reply

AROUND THE CAMP FIRE

WELL, they are predicting 8" to 13" of snow by tomorrow. I wish I was sitting around a campfire too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH's first career was as an upholsterer. Of course, ours is the last couch to be done. I just bought fabric for one couch to do in the spring when the kitten is old enough to know better than destroy the fabric. Merry Christmas everyone.
Message 15 of 1,747
latest reply