cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticity Guarantee

Our authentication partner received your item but, unfortunately, it didn’t pass the inspection. We’re refunding the buyer $2,500.00 and will seek reimbursement of this amount from you. Below you’ll find our authenticator’s notes about your item:

• Secondary Stone Checks: Fail ; Main Stone/Side Stone - Diamond: Fail ; Description: Fail ; The clarity grade of the secondary stone(s) does not match the listing. ; The clarity grade of the main/side diamond(s) does not match the listing. ; The item size doesn't match the listing
  • These Morons at the GIA dont explain clearly what the issues are, I have the ring and i dont see any of these issues? By the way I was trained by them, the GIA!  At this rate eBay will be in bankruptcy by the end of the year!  i am exploring 1st dibs now to sell along with others.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Authenticity Guarantee

Authenticity Guarantee

Ouch!  That's got to hurt.  Is there an actual appraisal/authentication form that they signed and sent to you?  I take it that you are educated and capable of assessing the gems.  If not, I would take it to a qualified jeweler for a second opinion, so that you can at least relist it in confidence. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Authenticity Guarantee

I have the same problem with the authentication process in my small jewelry store.

It seems that unless I would certify using GIA all my jewelry that is listed over $500,

non would pass eBay authentification.

That means that I have to send 1000 items to GIA for certification now. If GIA charges $70 for each item,

I have to pay $70,000 to do it.

For $70,000 I can open an actual physical store or two.

This seems to be only for the very large stores. Smaller stores and privet sellers would not have a chance to stay in business with eBay.

Also most jewelry sales or for certain occasions, like weddings, engagements, birthdays, and such.

The shipping time to authenticators and from them back to the buyers is around 10 days.

This will discourage many buyers, especially during Holidays time.

I think It would work way nicer if authenticators would ship the items to the buyers with the paper of the grading even if the jewelry did not pass authentication,

and then the buyer will decide to keep it or not based on what would be acceptable to the buyer.

In this case, if the buyer is guaranteed a free return the problem would be solved.

The buyer would either keep the jewelry, ask for a discount or ship the jewelry back for a full refund.

Everyone wins.

The sellers will get their sales and slowly certify their jewelry, eBay will keep the and increase the profits, and the sellers will not have to walk away from eBay causing eBay billions $$$ of losses.

This seems to be a very simple solution with no losers and no additional expenses to the sellers or eBay.

For the buyers to have a clear knowledge of what they purchased and the chance after small negotiations with the sellers to get better pricing would be a winning proposition too. 

Please express your opinions on this very important subject.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Authenticity Guarantee

I have an item that failed and is on the way back.

It is an unmarked pendant that tests 14K, no doubt about it.

I can't wait to see the reason, I wish I could opt out of this.

Shipping another piece today to the dreaded place today.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Authenticity Guarantee

my ring was returned as the ring size was off. i thought it was a size 11, but must be a little bigger or smaller.  what a joke. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply