cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mexican Enamel Pin mark

I was mortified to find out that I had been mis-identifying a mark.  My research had shown that the conjoined JF mark seen on dozens of Mexican enamel pieces was Jose Federico/Frederico but it turns out that is not correct. It's also often been mistaken for Federico Jimenez and I've seen it listed as by Margot de Taxco because of the note on the 925-1000 site that says it's "derivative of Margot". Bille Hougart, of the Mexican hallmark book fame, gave the following info on another forum:

It seems that somewhere along the line a "Jose Frederico" (note the spelling) was misidentified as being Federico Jimenez, a very talented Mexican collector, designer and silversmith, working in Southern California. 

Once misleading or false information gets into literature and the internet and tossed around it is difficult to unravel and spot the truth.

I discussed this with Federico several years ago, calling his attention to similarities between the JF hallmarks. He said it was NOT his work and that he neither designed nor produced "enamel" jewelry. He had never heard of a Jose Frederico.

Jeronimo Fuentes became director of Margot's enamel workshop after Sigi Pineda left that position in the early 1950s. There are several silversmiths in the Fuentes family, and the letter-number registrations TF-08 and TF-32 probably represent the Fuentes family with one or the other "fronting"; in the registration books (including Jeronimo Fuentes and German Fuentes Flores), but I believe, regardless of who in the family worked on a particular piece, the conjoined JF mark represents Jeronimo.

I had a hard time with this mark over the years (frustrating to say the least). Adding to the difficulties sorting this out is that Jeronimo's name has been in the literature spelled with a "G."

In my opinion, the conjoined JF mark belongs to Jeronimo Fuentes…..he may have made ithem or perhaps someone in his family did. Later “enameled” pieces marked, for example, TF-22, TF-31 or 32 can be attributed (in my opinion) to the Fuentes family, including Benito Fuentes and German Fuentes, or even non-family collaborators. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Mexican Enamel Pin mark

Thanks Lexy for the update.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Mexican Enamel Pin mark

Lexy,

I have made a note of this ... thanks for the clarification!

Happy New Year too.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Mexican Enamel Pin mark

Now I am confused. I sold an enamel JF pin as Jose Frederico. So, that was wrong? I give up! No point in researching anything, big huge waste of time ...
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Mexican Enamel Pin mark

I was out when I posted the last but am home now trying to find info I used to make my ID. I did not find the original page but did find this info that was posted on the 925-1000 site Forum at a time after my sale. It discusses the same information that I found posted prior to listing my Brooch last winter. (Book Mexican Silver Jewelry Details by Leslie Pina p 8-9.)

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Mexican Enamel Pin mark

Bille Hougart, of the Mexican hallmark book fame, gave the following info on another forum:

What was the forum; do you have a link?  Your post is the only think I can find about Jeronimo Fuentes. 

I own several of these and have always wondered about the enamel artist.

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Mexican Enamel Pin mark

I think what we need is for someone to tell us first if Leslie Pina is a trusted author and if they are for someone who has the Book "Mexican Silver Jewelry Details"( which was referenced in the post on a trusted sited; 925-1000.com) to look up the pages with the information on it and relate what it says.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Mexican Enamel Pin mark

I agree.  Several years ago, after watching JF jewelry on eBay for many years, I saw the first individual attribute the work to Jose Frederico.  I sent them a message asking for the source of their attribution and they did not respond.  At first slowly, and then logarithmically, I saw more and more works being attributed to Jose Frederico on eBay, Etsy, Rubylane and others, presumably based on that one eBay listing.  I have not seen Leslie Pina's book but based on the varied subject matter of her books (furniture, glass, beads), I doubt her research was as extensive as authoritative silver experts (e.g. Morrill, Houbart, etc).  But I agree - it would be great to have someone definitively post what is on those pages.  An image would be great. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Mexican Enamel Pin mark

I found this web site which gives some info...http://iantiqueonline.ning.com/profiles/blogs/1813674:BlogPost:1286829

Message 9 of 9
latest reply