cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with identifying stone please...

Good morning!

Would someone kindly help with two pieces of jewelry that I have, vintage.  One of the earrings stone I believe is jade but would really like a professional opinion, as making a mistake is not an option.

The other earrings I don't know what the stone is.  Its light with an almost green tint to it.  I recently found out that mother of pearl can be an iridescentgreen (who knew!) but again, will never make assumptions.

Really appreciate any help in advance.  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The top one has a moonstone appearance to me, but it can be hard to ID on a screen and is often simulated. As for the bottom, I can't hazard a guess from this photo.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It is nearly impossible to ID a stone from a photo. Do you have someone you can bring them to so you can get a hands on opinion?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You can perform a scratch test by scratching the pieces (on place not obvious) by a needle or a small pocket knife.  If it can scratched (leaving a white line), it is not jade.  First piece (top) does not appear to be jade to me.  Cannot tell on second piece because your picture is not good.  Should take picture under sunlight or natural light, from different angles.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time out of their day to respond and offer suggestions!

I will take your advice!

Have a great day! 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

There are several types of "Jade" ... so instead of deforming, take it to a jewelry store that actually buys jewelry and get their best offer and opinion. Cheaper than paying for an appraisal, or damaging.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply