cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flapper glass beads? What origin? On chain, how to clean?

Hi everyone,

I found this cool flapper necklace (I think) today at a thrift. It has black glass beads and rondelle? accents. It's quite dirty and I would like to clean it but it is strung on a chain.

Has two open ended tassels so thought maybe it was a belt at first. Can a lariat necklace be not attached?

I'd love it if anyone could identify the origin of the beads, too. Looks like stars engraved or impressed and squished or stamped into each glass bead giving them sort of a hammered- look.

Also, age?

Thank you for any help with this one. I don't have a ruler to measure right now, but it seems to be way over 50 inches long.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Those beads with stars are Czech in origin.  They made those for a large part of the 20th century.  I don't know whether these are early or not, but my guess would be around the 1930's because of the condition of the metal and the lariat style.

Belle

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Also, it is hard to see in the pics I posted, but the pressed in stars are all over each bead, at differing spots.

And, each bead is not at all the same exact shape, due to that, but they look to be  pretty much the same length and width.

Haven't visited for a while. Is Belle still around?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Those beads with stars are Czech in origin.  They made those for a large part of the 20th century.  I don't know whether these are early or not, but my guess would be around the 1930's because of the condition of the metal and the lariat style.

Belle

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

do you have any plans to sell it ? This is really beautiful please inbox if you have any plans
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

To answer your question, "Can a lariat necklace be not attached," the defining nature of a Lariat is that it is open-ended. A Lariat may be worn knotted or wrapped around the neck several times with the ends hanging open in the front or down the back.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Cleaning all kinds of jewelery, even costume can sometimes be saved with (TarniX) just rinse really quickly, it can ruin faux plating metal if left to soak, with a toothbrush most clean in seconds, read directions! I use for all jewelery and some metals on lamps, etc need clean. Great stuff!
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you, Belle, and all. I JUST saw this reply.  🤓

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@windshadow58

"Cleaning all kinds of jewelery, even costume can sometimes be saved with (TarniX) just rinse really quickly, it can ruin faux plating metal if left to soak, with a toothbrush most clean in seconds, read directions! I use for all jewelery and some metals on lamps, etc need clean. Great stuff!"

NEVER USE TARN-X! The toxic chemicals can RUIN your silver (even if you follow directions) by leaving a dull white coating and removing all luster and shine. In addition, the toxic chemicals are HARMFUL TO YOUR HEALTH.

From an Expert: "Chemical dips including Tarn-X are some of the most destructive tarnish removers. They not only remove tarnish, they continue to etch the object itself! The companies producing these industrial chemicals are deceptive."

Do the research and you'll see. I used it once on several pieces of sterling chains and bracelets (no stones) and it totally wrecked them!!! Bad, bad, bad stuff!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply