cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

victorian brooch

This is good quality, has wear, but the cameo itself is very interesting, very different than the other cameos I have, unmarked. Maker, and a more specific year range perhaps? It measures 3". Thank You ( again) V76IMG_6321.JPGIMG_6328.JPGIMG_6324.JPGIMG_6325.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

victorian brooch

Nice Cameo,,,not much help...I collect cameo's but know nothing about them,,,all I can say is

looks soapy 🙂 tee hee 🙂

Note* That link I gave you for the Mourning jewelry,,,should also help you date this by the clasp...

look around there,,,hagn 

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

victorian brooch

if the cameo feels different it could be hardstone, looking at the lines of the carving.  They look more angular, as if the carver wasnt working in as soft a material as shell.

The mtal is probably gold filled but may be gold or gold top.  Id be concerned about the glue thats visible on the back (the soapy stuff), looks like that was dont sometime in its more recent history.

As for dating, it could be Victorian to Edwardian in age, Id lean towards the later Victorian era as the design is fairly natrualistic  but wait for others to chime in.

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

victorian brooch

OMG. Either my pieces are dusty, or TOO clean! *sigh* So embarrassing, I really need to LOOK at the photos before I post my questions, thank you for being gentle Bucks, I appreciate it. I'm going to go clean my brooches!  thoroughly. V76

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

victorian brooch

Looks very similar to Black Hills Gold on my monitor.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

victorian brooch

that reminds me a bit of the double cameo/ black intaglio layered stones, ya know??   not the glass ones of couse but the ones that are usually in mens rings with soldier heads and have the orangy cameo base and then have white faces with another layer of an onyx face.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

victorian brooch

OK  so that really is soap and not dried glue?  Thats good lol!  Smiley Very Happy

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 7 of 7
latest reply