cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? re plastic barrel clasps

I see necklaces with plastic barrel clasps being called vintage in various listings. Just how old are they? Here are photos of the necklace I picked up today, tested for bakelite - it isn't.

DSC00188.JPG

DSC00189.JPG

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Hmmm..not sure on age of any. 

I do know Avon used quite a few of them in the 80`s-90`s..theirs were shaped like this:

barrel clasp.jpg

I think you can currently purchase ones like what is on your necklace..so that may not be indicative of age

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Thank you for responding.  After seeing the plastic clasps with metal screw, I think mine, with plastic screw, is probably pretty new, just on an older style necklace. Actually, I guess it's a pretty classic style, but I just think of those graduated bead necklaces as being from the 1950's or 1960's.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Those hidden clasps pop up beginning ...dunno, but they go back into the 50s easily.  I've found them on bakelite before now.  Avon and others used them well into the 80s as someone else already said.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I've had a few necklaces that look just  like this one you've shown here that were some kind of amber wannabe. Not plastic, nor Bakelite, nor strictly speaking amber. 

Just can't for the life of me recall what they are called. But anyway, mine all passed the flotation test. They were made in the Soviet era, circa 1970-1980. Several still had their original sales tags attached. 

Maybe someone else can comment on what this type of material is called, not amber but some kind of melted and "reconstituted" amber that is free of inclusions etc. 

Just a possibility since I don't have the item in hand. 

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Would amber or reconstituted amber have this kind of clasp - it looks just the aame as the beads.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

The ones I've owned and sold over the years all had barrel clasps made of exactly the same material as the beads.  

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

I posted this Amber Necklace a while back in the eye candy thread. It looks to have the same type of clasp.

IMG_2762.JPG

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

What is this float test? I will try it and see what happens.  I had already listed the necklace as "translucent butterscotch plastic" but amber of any sort would be much nicer.  Nobody has looked at the listing yet anyhow.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

https://sewfunky.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/fake-vs-real-amber-salt-water-test/

Note: First try tap water. If the necklace floats in  tap water it isn't necessary to continue the test, it has failed for amber.

If it sinks in tap water, continue as per link to see how it does with the salt water test. The little plastic part in the barrel might affect the test a little ditto the string, but for  the ones I've tested they all floated to the top in the salt water solution, even the "reconstituted, remolded amber" as I am seeing in your necklace here, if what I am seeing is right! LOL

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Thank you.  It did not float in tap water but did float in salt water.  For comparison, I tried a couple of obviously plastic necklaces - they both floated in the tap water and somewhat in the salt water.

Now I am all excited:)

Here's another photo which shows the colour better:

DSC00227.JPG

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Actually it is exciting! I love these experiments. Now what to call these beads?  Hmmmm .... not plastic! Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Cool! Make sure to rinse well 🙂
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Yes, I did rinse the necklace in plain water.

Also ended the listing for now, until I find out more.

Is there anything else I can do to determine if it is amber? Is the colour acceptable for amber? it is what I would call butterscotch and is translucent.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Smell it 🙂

Hold it in your hand till it warms up and then there should be a slight piney sap smell.
Message 15 of 22
latest reply