cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can this Trifari be fixed?

Great piece, put it away last year, got it back out and the chain has this on it...I tried a gentle wash, didn't budge, tried harder, nada...can this come off, or is this piece toast..'IMG_6243.JPGIMG_6245.JPGIMG_6246.JPGIMG_6247.JPG

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Looks like " Verdigris", you can try some ketchup???

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Looks like verdigris. (comes from moisture, usually) It spreads also..so be careful & check your other items

Dip a q-tip in vinegar..apply.. wait a little bit..then use gently brush.   Will take some patience to make sure you get it all.  Will prob have to use a toothpick to get in the links.  Make sure it is completely dry afterwards

Some joolies have other methods I`m sure..vinegar has always worked for me

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

On my way! I have some left ( thank god) from yesterday, I'll check back in, fingers crossed! Thnx Bucks!

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Trying it as we speak, I'm trying both! Thanks!

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

It looks like the infamous gunk known as verdigris.  You could try submerging it in ketsup for a while (several hours.)   It may not work completely, but you really have nothing to lose at this point  This is probaly caused by moisture.  for future refeence, packages of dessicant in your storage drawers can help avoid this.  They are commercially available, but can readily be found in new shoes and pocketbooks 

photo rose_zps07ff3a19.jpg
Kay
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Snipe by Di and Sarah!

Kay
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

All I can say is:

GMTA 🙂

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I use ketchup but I do it in 30 minute soaks. Once I forgot about a piece and by the time I got back to it the gunk was all gone - but so was the finish Smiley Mad

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

YES! Still some discoloration, but no yucky stuff! Who would have thought? Now, is it worth listing with the discoloration ( fully disclosed of course) or is this destined for the dress up box? V76IMG_6249.JPGIMG_6250.JPG

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I still see verdigris..it can take awhile to remove it all..this is where the patience comes in. I also see  that yes, it has caused loss of the finish. Most likely even more will show once you remove all the verdigris. 

Personally I`d have a hard time selling it alone as is..others may have a diff opinion. Cat Happy

trifari.jpg

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I have treated others with some success, with a gold leafing marker.  These are available at Michaels, etc near the framing supplies.  They have to be used very lightly, and I then immediately "feather  in" the painted area.  You might want to try just for the experience, or mention the possibility in your listing.  And yes, if you do it yourself, it should be disiclosed.   

Kay
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Excellent, thank you, a shame because it is such a nice piece.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I don't use ketsup, I use vinegar and a Q tip and rub & wet with vinegar until it's gone.  Sometimes the verdigris has eaten into the metal, I have always had better luck with vinegar but some pieces may require the treatment from Michael's that was mentioned.  Worth a try to save a vintge peice.

Carolynheart

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I have used Hydrogen Peroxide  on Q-Tip with good results. I does not seem to be as hard on the finish. I rub and dry several times. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply