cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you consider this Victorian or Antique

I have this goldstone mico mosaic brooch... once again I have been confused as there doesn't seem to be consistancy in what I am finding.  So, I thought I would come ask the people in the know 🙂

DSC05227.JPG

DSC05230.JPG

DSC05260.JPG

DSC05245.JPG

🙂 thank you for looking and sharing your knowledge

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Looking at the clasp it looks like a hinged fold over rather than spinning?

I would say Edwardian or Early 20 Century.

Not seeing any greenies, have you tested metal?
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Oh, forgot to say that the tiny flowers look like they are made of individual pieces of colored glass rather than pre-formed canes. That points to an earlier piece as would size of other parts making up mosaic. Generally speaking dainty in older than chunky.
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@old.crows.nest wrote:
Looking at the clasp it looks like a hinged fold over rather than spinning?

I would say Edwardian or Early 20 Century.

Not seeing any greenies, have you tested metal?

Yes, it is hinged fold over (thank you, I didn't know the term)  I've not had it tested yet, and I' ve examined it with my loop and  can't find any greenies or tarnish.  At first I thought it had been repaired at the pin holder part ( for lack of knowledge of the right term, so forigve me) it is thicker, like an after thought to strengthen that part of the frame, but msybe not. Would you mind looking at the picture of the back, right side?  What does that look like to you.  Other than that I see no repairs to this. Frame is a little bent

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Yes, individual iddy bitty pieces

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

I found this page which shows a similar safety to what I think I am seeing. (FIGs 15-A & 15-B) I think yours is closer in date to the roll over type though.

https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Dating-brooch-fasteners
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@old.crows.nest wrote:
I found this page which shows a similar safety to what I think I am seeing. (FIGs 15-A & 15-B) I think yours is closer in date to the roll over type though.

https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Dating-brooch-fasteners

WOW...thank you for the link, the safety closer is 16 A & B, which if I read it correctly dates this to the 1930's.  Which makes this  ???  LOL

I've book marked the page for future reference.  My list of favorites is becoming mind boggling 🙂

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

That could be a repair where the a 19th Centuy tube hinge was attached so it is possible the pin and clasp were updated but it still looks like an early 20th Century change.
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

The safety clasp mounted on a "pad" of solder is a design detail rather than a repair. Safety clasps were designed in thr 30s and have been in common use since then.  Micro-mosaics may indicate an origin as a nice souvenir of a visit to Italy. I'd get the metal tested.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Thank you!! 

@old.crows.nest wrote:
That could be a repair where the a 19th Centuy tube hinge was attached so it is possible the pin and clasp were updated but it still looks like an early 20th Century change.

I will take it in for metal testing and have them take a closer look than my loop.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Hummm. Now I am curious. Can you post pictures of the clasp open? From the top and same side as closed image?
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@thirry wrote:

The safety clasp mounted on a "pad" of solder is a design detail rather than a repair. Safety clasps were designed in thr 30s and have been in common use since then.  Micro-mosaics may indicate an origin as a nice souvenir of a visit to Italy. I'd get the metal tested.

Thank you thirr y, I do see the pad you mention, but the padded area I'm seeing in not under the hindge... just to the right of it, on the frame

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@old.crows.nest wrote:
Hummm. Now I am curious. Can you post pictures of the clasp open? From the top and same side as closed image?

I'lll try,  sometimes I can take a good/perfect pictures. other times I can't focus if my life depended upon in 🙂  give me a few minutes 

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Thanks 🙂
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

It's amazing what you can see in a picture what you didn't see with the loop 🙂

That part on the back is repair, and when I was croping the pictures, I noticed a portion of the brooch is damaged/missing a part.  Here's what the camera saw that I didn't notice or seeSrea where piece brokeSrea where piece broke

I didn't see this at allI didn't see this at all

Backside showing repair clearerBackside showing repair clearer

Message 15 of 26
latest reply