cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whitby Jet? Bog Oak? Any idea what I am?

I have noticed over the years that I find things in spurts.  Well, this is my "spurt" for something curious.

First is this circle brooch.

I found this cute litte brooch three weeks ago.  It's very lightweight, slightly cool to the touch, clinks on the teeth like plastic...And if it weren't for the carve marks on the sides and the marks on the back, I'd think it IS plastic.  However, everything about the brass metalwork suggests a pre-plastic item.   I know the simple hook catch places it at pre-1890.  I did test the metal for gold content, which came up negative.  Also, the metal is folded around the black part, with two simple tabs folded over onto the fronts of the pieces.  It moves slightly, on each side, so I know there's no hidden screws anywhere or glue.  

Everything about it screams "quality" even though it looks like a simple piece.  Even though it's a faceted ring, the brass two brass sections are fitted so that the pin fits securely in the hook, and the little tabs, even though they hold the pieces securely, are barely noticeable and blend right into the design.  The pin's lever is enclosed; I've never before seen a similar construction of a hidden hinge on a brooch.  

The ring itself measures 3 mm outside diameter, 17 mm inner diameter, and 4 mm thick.  With the brass, the piece measures 5 cm across.  Piece weighs 3.9 grams.

So...Whitby jet?  And what do y'all see in the construction that I don't?  Age, area of origin, possible maker, etc., are all appreciated.

IMG_5244.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5255.JPG

IMG_5257.JPG

"One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." ~Nicola Tesla
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Whitby Jet? Bog Oak? Any idea what I am?

I found this second piece a week later, at a little shop across the city.  The yellow metal that's in the black material definitely doesn't match the silver french hooks, so I'm guessing the hooks were a later addition.  

The earrings have the same properties as the brooch, and they're extremely lightweight.  The little carved whelk shells are 20 mm long, and 6 mm dia. at their widest point.  Alas, the tiny point on one of the seashells has been broken off.  Any idea of what sort of earring design these little shells could have been in their original life?  

Thanks in advance!

IMG_5322.JPG

IMG_5327.JPGIMG_5330.JPGIMG_5324.JPG

"One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." ~Nicola Tesla
Message 2 of 2
latest reply