cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of plastic is this? Acrylic? Moonglow? Something else?

I think this predates moonglow.  It's similar, and has a pearlescent quality.  Is it an acrylic, or thermoset? I believe the back of the smaller pin has some celluloid.  The larger one is 3"x2"..  I think they date to the late 30s or 40s.  What do you think?

frpinsback

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I was thinking moonglow lucite on the bottom pin..but dunno for sure?

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Lucite-Jewelry-Identifying-Varieties-or-Types-/10000000000952312/g.html

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I learned way back when that this material was a pearlized Lucite ... however it is now my understanding that this is more commonly known and referred to as moonglow and made from nylon.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Nylon!  I do remember my Mother using that term!!  That's actually the term I couldn't quite remember.   I read the bit about "pearlized lucite" and that makes sense too. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

By the way, these don't have that same "inner glow" that moonglow has.  More of a glow from the pearlescent quality.  Plus, I think the flower with the loose petal (two tone) has a coating making it even more "pearl" than the bigger pin.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Reality, I have always observed that difference too.  It's one reason I just never have thought of them as moonglow Lucite.  There appearance really is different.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The pink one? It might even be nylon. There are hard(ish) plastic forms of nylon that are kind of pearly; you used to be able to get combs made of the stuff back in the 50s and 60s. (I'm still using one I've had since high school.) I've seen pins made from the same kind of plastic.

flotsamlogo
Message 7 of 7
latest reply