cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this pendant made of?

Encased flowers.  Very small, a bit bigger than a dime.  Anyone know how this was made?  Thank you for any direction.

Front sideFront sideBack sideBack sideLooks like 800 and some letters?Looks like 800 and some letters?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Do you see Italy on the metal?

Diane

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Finally found my best loupe.  I can see 800, a star, then 588 and VI all on the clasp.  I have a couple of Italian micro mini mosaic pins but this is a bit different.  The white flowers look like gathered up cupcake holder papers and the blue and green flowers are more of a solid, if that makes any sense.  The front is flat and the back side rounds slightly out.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

These may be glass canes that form the design. You may want to research millefleuri glass.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

That's what it is.  Wiki shows a pendant with a similar pattern.  The technique is very interesting and I plan to do some more reading about it.  It's amazing what an artist can do with glass.  Bonus: I have a long necklace that I think is millefiori beads.  You just solved two mystery pieces for me.  Thank you, thank you.....

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

You are so welcome! Beautiful aren't they!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

800 is the Silver content 800 /1000. The other is a modern Italian Hallmark.

Here is information on the Hallmark:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/search.php?keywords=588+VI&t=27003&sf=msgonly&sid=56dcea68eaaed273ea7d...

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thank you OCN.  I do use that site but all the information makes my head hurt.   I truly appreciate you taking time to pinpoint the hallmark! 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I found a forum topic a while back that has a large number (not every one) of Italian Hallmarks listed. Sometimes I get lucky and what someone is looking for is included 🙂

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

The VI indicates the City, in your case of VI, that means Vicenza which is the Veneto (Venetian) region of Italy. 

Sonia

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Those could well be Murano glass millifiori (thousand flowers) from Venice.  I bought pendants like that in Venice when I went to Italy with my mom.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply