cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WG inside of Heart - 14K - Mark Help please?

I have a bracelet and a necklace that have the same clasp. They both have a heart with WG 14KT. Searching WG comes up with white gold, and this is clearly yellow gold. I was hoping the heart shape would direct me to a maker before I add this to a gold scrap lot. 

Any ideas, please?

WG.jpg

Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I don't know who the maker is but if it were me I would not scrap it unless it was damaged. On 7 14K items and 1 10K item I had end last night I got 36.8% over 100% scrap value. And most scrap places only give you 75-85% of scrap value, so if I only got the average of 80% scrap value that makes my sales last night at 46% over scrap. I can afford to pay the eBay, PayPal, postage and income taxes out of that 46% and still come out ahead financially of where I would have been if I scrapped it. I did not have any maker's identified on those pieces and still did 46% better than scrap.

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you, that's valuable advice. You're right, I usually only do scrap gold lots when it's scrap gold and these are not "scrap". 
I'll follow your advice and appreciate your input 🙂

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Gulp!! I just looked at your items...Aren't you worried about starting the fine gold items at such a low minimum? I'd be afraid I'd only get the opening price Yikes! Nice work on the 36.8% Kudos!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@gauntlettgems wrote:
Gulp!! I just looked at your items...Aren't you worried about starting the fine gold items at such a low minimum? I'd be afraid I'd only get the opening price Yikes! Nice work on the 36.8% Kudos!

I am not in the least worried, I know everyone has their own strategy for selling but the auction format works well for me on gold. If I am worried about a particular item I can always end the listing but so far I have only sold one item below 100% scrap value and that was because I went brain dead and put a buy it now price on it based on what I paid and not the scrap value.

The 36.% is over 100% scrap value which you will not ever get from a scrapper. In reality it is much higher than scrap.

If I list them at auction I get the traffic that a buy it now listing will not get. A buy it now listing only shows up 5 ways, when it is first listed if the buyer clicks on newly listed, when it is ending on a best match or ending first sort, if a buyer clicks on the buy it now tab when searching, if the buyer does a very specific search on the seller or item title and if the listing meets all the search criteria that eBay has set, (free shipping, 1 day shipping, 14 day returns) and is getting enough traffic to make it show up in the default best match.

When I list it at auction it gets the traffic, it keeps my inventory turn over up (think going to the B&M location where it is the same stuff week after week) and most important it keeps my cash flow moving so I have funds to invest in new inventory, paying bills or saving.

Could I make a few bucks more by listing it at a buy it now with best offer, yes of course but I might have to sit on my investment capital for weeks or months, I won't get traffic like I would with an auction and I have the stuff cluttering up my life waiting around for a few extra bucks. So I do what is best for me and that might not work for everyone. To me I cannot afford to let an item sit around waiting for a few more bucks when I can make the money immediately and keep my views up. Plus it works for me to bring in buyers who are repeat customers and buy multiple items.

Years ago another eBay seller said that you don't make your money when you sell your item you make it when you buy it. If you buy it smart both in price and how popular it is you will always make money when you sell it. If you pay too much for an item or buy something that is not in hot demand and have to sit on it to wait for it to sell, not only will it cost you by earning a lower percent of profit it could end up costing you in eBay fees, loss of income from a constant turn over and depending on the size of the item possibly storage fees. And of course since eBay went to the best match search it really costs you on the amount of views and traffic you get by letting it sit in inventory.

I do what works for me and I realize it might not work for everyone, but if i get scared on an individual item I can end it and re-list it a different way or sell it elsewhere.

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

IfMelFalls, if it's not a famous maker then I don't think its value would be significantly increased. And due to the initials also standing for white gold, a search could be an exercise in frustration.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply